Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Manwhore

Daughter is on MySpace

My initial reaction is that her having a MySpace account is trouble, but so far she hasn't put a lot of personal info there and she has restricted her full profile to her 'friends' list. My daughter does not yet know that I know she has a MySpace account. I can see that it looks as if it's only her school friends posting there, yet I worry about online predators.

Has anyone here gone through a MySpace 'battle' with their teen? Do I even need to worry about it?

Oh, and her status says she is 'in a relationship'. That is something I am worried about.

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 06-27-2006, 02:36 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Been there. I don't like that school info ends up there through posts from friends.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 06-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua
Has anyone here gone through a MySpace 'battle' with their teen? Do I even need to worry about it?

I'm getting close to where you are right now Aqua. Watch this very closely. Ask questions.

Tough love, dude....
Old 06-27-2006, 05:47 PM
curvy queen

My best advice...make a MySpace account of your own. that way you can talk to the people that she's talking to and know what's up.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 PM
MSGME!

My son moved out of the house a few months back and didn't have Internet service where he moved.(<my oldest sons house).A few weeks ago he called me and gave me his id and password and asked me to cancel/delete his account.I guess he just outgrew it or got bored with it...I don't know.I did "snoop" around while I was there!!There didn't seem to be much going on and I think the few incidents that have been reported on the site is minute considering the number of members that belong.

I hate to send up another red flag but..........keep an eye on the text messages sent and recieved via the cellphone!!!I've had more problems in this area than I care to mention....and the sender/reciever is usually in the same neighborhood.

Edit: I forgot .....Do you know why kids' cell batteries need frequent charging?-----They don't delete their incoming/outgoing call lists or their inbox/outbox for text messages!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Is it time to get up?

my daughter is 9 and has various things on MSN and and a few kid oriented sites. I can't say i am too happy about it, but i'd rather she has stuff i know about than have her set up ones (and she is very capable of doing that) i don't know about. I'm not too sure about MySpace stuff and how it works, but at least her email is set to exclusive.

We had a LONG talk about the dangers. I think she is sensible and will seek advice when needed.

She is growing up fast! Sheesh
Old 06-27-2006, 06:13 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyarmywife
My best advice...make a MySpace account of your own. that way you can talk to the people that she's talking to and know what's up.

This was my approach as well.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 06-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to Debbie_007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua
...her status says she is 'in a relationship'...

That just means she doesn't want guys asking for a date.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:09 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

and doesn't want the other girls to know if she doesn't have a guy.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 06-27-2006, 08:53 PM
My own little world

Send a message via AIM to TinTennessee Send a message via MSN to TinTennessee Send a message via Yahoo to TinTennessee
My 17 year old son has a MySpace account. However, he told me about it, we discuss it, he shows it to me and shows me the things he has posted, mainly poems (dark) and such. I like to think I know what's going on, but that would be presumptuous on my part. I agree, set up and account of your own
Old 06-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Banned

Just read something about how camps & other places are restricting what info the kids put on myspace so the camp's location, etc. isn't given away.

Make sure she knows what to keep off the web.

It's a different world, eh?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:54 AM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
my kids aren't old enough yet but i say hell yeah worry. not so much that it keeps you up at night but enough that it keeps you aware. there may only be a small percentage of predators out of the total myspace users, but i know i wouldn't want one of my kids to be a statistic and neither do you. talk to her frankly about the dangers and lay down some rules. i can't say for sure (cause it hasn't happened to me yet) but i don't think i'd keep my knowing a secret.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 06-28-2006, 08:02 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

My son knows I know because he has his account restricted and I had to be approved to see it. The problem I have is not in what info my sone has given out but in what others have said, "_____ High School's X country ROCKS!!!!!" etc. I know my son is 15 and a big guy but he's still bait.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 06-28-2006, 08:33 AM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
would you have told him if his account wasn't restricted?
do you want to yank his privileges because of the comments other people make? i know that wouldn't be fair, but it must worry you.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 06-28-2006, 08:49 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

I have let it stay because it is restricted. If he opened it to the public I'd have it yanked.

~>My Scribbles<~