Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Sex therapists: A few minutes is best

(SDLS)

By MEGAN K. SCOTT, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Maybe men had it right all along: It doesn't take long to satisfy a woman in bed. A survey of sex therapists concluded the optimal amount of time for sexual intercourse was 3 to 13 minutes. The findings, to be published in the May issue of the Journal of Sexual Medicine, strike at the notion that endurance is the key to a great sex life.

If that sounds like good news to you, don't cheer too loudly. The time does not count foreplay, and the therapists did rate sexual intercourse that lasts from 1 to 2 minutes as "too short."

Researcher Eric Corty said he hoped to ease the minds of those who believe that "more of something good is better, and if you really want to satisfy your partner, you should last forever."

The questions were not gender-specific, said Corty (who, it must be noted, is male). But he said prior research has shown that both men and women want foreplay and sexual intercourse to last longer.

Dr. Irwin Goldstein, editor of the Journal of Sexual Medicine, cited a four-week study of 1,500 couples in 2005 that found the median time for sexual intercourse was 7.3 minutes. (Women were armed with stopwatches.)

It's difficult for both older men and young men to make sexual intercourse last much longer, said Marianne Brandon, a clinical psychologist and director of Wellminds Wellbodies in Annapolis, Md.

"There are so many myths in our culture of what other people are doing sexually," Brandon said. "Most people's sex lives are not as exciting as other people think they are."

Fifty members of the Society for Sex Therapy and Research in the U.S. and Canada were surveyed by Corty, an associate professor of psychology at Penn State Erie, The Behrend College, and student Jenay Guardiani. Thirty-four members, or 68 percent, responded, although some said the optimal time depended on the couple.

Corty said he hoped to give an idea of what therapists find to be normal and satisfactory among the couples they see.

"People who read this will say, 'I last five minutes or my partner lasts 8 minutes,' and say, 'That's OK,'" he said. "They will relax a little bit."

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Causer of Unrest

We go about 20-25 minutes per round at our house, and that's fine with me. I'm not a "stay in bed all day" person unless it's for sleep. I've got things to do!

My photo threads...

Latest: Cool April Morning

XXXII XXXIII XXXIV XXXV XXXVI XXXVII XXXVIII XXXIX

Stories
Thank You, Come Again / Robyn's Roommate / Seamus, Charlotte, and the Showgirl / God, It's Good to Be Queen

"I walk with my head held high and naked in the sun, claiming these streets for myself."--Jonatha Brooke
Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 AM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
"Corty said he hoped to give an idea of what therapists find to be normal and satisfactory among the couples they see."

revolutionary thought here but what if what's found to be normal and satisfactory is what you do normally and are satisfied by? that just might work.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 04-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

^^^
Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 PM

I don't get it.

Both of us prefer to make it last as long as possible consistent with her not getting sore.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM
unregistered mutt. woof!

It's all foreplay until we're puttin' the pieces together. That's what it's all about. Think of it; candlelit dinners- power is out, doing the dishes - help is on strike, scrubbing down the bathroom fixtures - company expected, garden overgrowth to pull out and trim - kid's and their friends trashed the yard playing football.
How 'bout we go campout without the kids and pick wildflowers as we cook over the open fire. Remember the TP and later we'll share a sponge bath in the mosquito tent. After all that foreplay we'll make love all night - 4 to 5 minutes per try every three hours!
Adage: 2 things are certain in life; Death & Taxes. Therefore; God & Beelzebub had a meeting to fix the problem. A mighty storm prevailed for ages until finally they ended the storm with the agreement: From now on Anyone whom chooses doesn't have to die. "Everyone wins said Beelzebub. You get an eternally grateful bunch of worshippers praying forever for lower taxes as I goad & prod them forever with higher & higher taxation."