Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2002, 05:39 PM
Manwhore

To my dear Canadian neighbors...

Just a question... Why do so many Canadian members only put "Canada" as their location? Just something I've wondered about since you do have provinces... It might be nice to at least have a time zone reference for some of you. Not a big deal, but there aren't a lot of people with US listed as location. Just curioous... that's all!
Old 01-26-2002, 10:39 AM

Once I put New Brunswick on mine...and people thought I was from New Jersey or something......news to me that there's a New Brunswick in New Jersey LOL
Old 01-27-2002, 02:52 AM
Mooooo!!!

Well, everybody just keeps asking where Vancouver is, so I thought I would keep it simple and say Canada. I am not sure what people will think if I put down British Columbia........
Old 01-27-2002, 04:28 PM

I'm from ontario but there is also an ontario in california so its just easier to say canada tan to keep explaining
Old 01-27-2002, 04:39 PM
Oral Freak

I'm from Ontario too, near Toronto, but I find there are enough people who don't know where that is that it's easier not to specify... (Aquaman, the time zone here is EST.)

One thing I've noticed is that it's really only the Americans and, to a lesser extent, the Australians who actually specify what part of the country they're from. Most of the Brits and other nationals are like the Canadians is that they seem to just post the name of the country... I'm sure you could read a whole lot about national characters into that little observation, but I can't be bothered!

To me it doesn't really matter where on earth a person's from. Matters more what kind of mental/personal background you've got than what country or province/state/region you're from!

--- sweetstuff
Old 01-28-2002, 02:43 PM
Manwhore

Xanne said,
Quote:
Well, everybody just keeps asking where Vancouver is, so I thought I would keep it simple and say Canada. I am not sure what people will think if I put down British Columbia........

Being from Seattle, my question would be; Vancouver? BC or Washington? It's about three hours either way...

Well, you all make a good point... I'm not sure how New Brunswick is relational to New Jersey. lol I think that since I'm so close to Canada, and have some friends from the Great White North, I maybe know a little bit more than others that don't have quite the same connection. Thanks for the response though!

Quote:
To me it doesn't really matter where on earth a person's from. Matters more what kind of mental/personal background you've got than what country or province/state/region you're from!

Very true Sweetstuff, Very true!
Old 01-28-2002, 03:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
I have to agree with most people that it really doesn't matter where you are from!I have met nice people from all over and also
jerks from all over.Where you are from has nothing to do with what kind of person that you are.That's what matters! Irish
P.S.Some of the biggest assholes that I ever met;were irishmen
and my nickname is Irish.Also;like many;where I live now is several states away from where I am from.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:13 PM

I give "Ontario" since it's just easier than saying "Suburban Toronto" or "A small University town in cottage country"
Old 02-10-2002, 11:24 AM

No offence....

ok...no offence to my American friends and neighbors, but I find that too many Americans don't know enough about our geography to have any idea where things are in Canada.

I spent 6 months in Montana a couple of years ago, and my son went to school there. I spent lots of time at the school volunteering and helping in classrooms. To be honest, I walked away from that experience extremely disappointed in what those kids were taught about us. Their focus was mainly on their own history and geography, and very little was said about Canada...even though we're their largest neighbor, and share the same continent.

Before I left Montana to head back to Canada, I wrote a letter to the school board there, stating my disappointment at the quality of instruction about neighboring countries. This is the reply I received.

"We are sorry that you are not satisfied with the quality of instruction our schools are providing. However, we are fulfilling what the law instructs us to teach our American children."

I truely think that if you want to know more about Canada and any other neighbor, maybe you should talk to your government officials about changing what kids are taught in school...expanding their horizons a little more, to include the history and geography of their neighbors.

As I said before, I definitely don't mean to offend anyone by stating this....I just feel very strongly that American kids are being cheated out of truely learning about a neighbor, and that leads to ignorance as adults.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:56 PM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
no offence taken

U.S. public school education is sadly lacking on many fronts, not just what we don't teach about Canada (or any other neighbors) Hell, over half our students today can't FIND Canada on a map!

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:56 PM

Smile

I also live in Ontario,Caledon infact,but Ontario covers a very large area and caledon is just a dot.Unless one would like to meet up it's not to important to be exact.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
sxxxy14u---I have to agree about the educational system.I listen
to alot of Talk Radio and last year(?) they tested the college professors.Over half of them failed on things that WE knew in 10th grade of High School.I,ve always said that;in my opinion;our
govt. sucks but I love our country.Suggestion-Break allegiance(sp)
with England.If WE hadn't;our police would probably be wearing
red coats and we would have northern Irelands problems.I don't
know if we would call our police Mounties or Bobbies. Irish
P.S.The main problem is that EVERY country has something wrong!
The college professors are the ones teaching OUR kids.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:01 PM
Horny Devil

Send a message via ICQ to legend
I am curious to know if any of the non-Australians know anything about the states and territories of Australia.

I have to admit, I only know about a couple of the canadian provinces but most people know that America has 50 states....I find that interesting

The sun is gone, but I have a light - Kurt Cobain

~I love Nikki~
Old 02-10-2002, 10:02 PM

hmmm Aussie trivia!

I believe Australia has 6 states. As to their names, eeek I think I could only name Queensland. I guess I need to watch more Crocodile Hunter re-runs.

BORU
Old 02-10-2002, 10:07 PM
Horny Devil

Send a message via ICQ to legend
a bit off topic here but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Boru
I guess I need to watch more Crocodile Hunter re-runs.

He's on every Sunday here....still amazes me why he goes up to a perfectly happy, most poisonous and aggressive snake and then proceeds to annoy it.

oh, and Australia also has two territories

The sun is gone, but I have a light - Kurt Cobain

~I love Nikki~