Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2004, 08:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Grumble
getting on the Pill

A young lady who goes to college in the US asked me about how do you get on the Pill and how much does it cost?

Well if she was in Australia I would advise her to go to a family planning clinic where the sevice is free. In the US I dont know so i am sure that female Pixies will be able to give the advice that I cannot give. I would expect the Colleges would have some sort of refferal service at least and I would be interested to know the cost too.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:00 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
We have clinics as well.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 02-15-2004, 10:34 PM
satisfactionisaguarantee

you can buy them online w/o a prescription and a lot cheaper..thats what I do. I currently take "ovral" a kind of differently named, more generic I guess, brand that acts just like the other brands, I was able to get a three month supply for around 40 USD however the shipment takes approximately a month to send..
Old 02-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Loungin' Around

Back when I was in college, any American girl could go to Planned Parenthood and get a "free sample" of BC pills after undergoing an on-site exam. After you get your perscription from them (after your exam), you can get subsidized BC pills...if you come into the office during work hours.

When I was inschool (about 7 years ago) they were about $9 per month. And certainly worth it!

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 02-15-2004, 10:44 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I would caution any sexually active college student to still use a condom regardless of whether or not she is on the pill.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 02-15-2004, 10:47 PM
1 of 8,029,150,258

There are a couple money saving BC pills you can get in the US. She can use standard aspirin .............. she just has to hold it between her knees all night.

There also is a new BC pill for men over here. It’s pyramid shaped and you put it in your shoe. It makes you limp.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 02-15-2004, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilith
I would caution any sexually active college student to still use a condom regardless of whether or not she is on the pill.

Exactly. It's far too easy for something to still go wrong.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:00 PM

I also believe it is covered under most insurance plans, if that helps any
Old 02-16-2004, 03:41 AM

and i happen to be that college student if anyone wants to private message me...

btw, i live in Austin, TX, if anyone knows any places here to get it?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Quote:
Originally posted by OzKristin
you can buy them online w/o a prescription and a lot cheaper..thats what I do. I currently take "ovral" a kind of differently named, more generic I guess, brand that acts just like the other brands, I was able to get a three month supply for around 40 USD however the shipment takes approximately a month to send..

I just heard a few horror stories of purchasing "non-prescription birth control pills" online. Please don't think I am reprimanding you OzKristin.....but the pill is meant to be a prescription drug ONLY....so that the correct dosage can be administered and if there are problems, changes to the brand or dosage can be regulated!

Not to mention.....it sounds as if you don't even really know exactly what it is you are taking! You say..."ovral...a different named, more generic" brand. What does that mean really? It sounds to me like it means.....someone out there (on the www) is trying to duplicate a prescription drug without a pharmaceutical license! And the manufacturer could be putting anything in them and how would you know what they are made of?

I've heard that these so called "birth control pills" are of so much a lesser dosage than necessary to prevent pregnancy and that some don't even have the chemical make-up to prevent anything....and this means you could get pregnant even if you took the pills diligently!

It's so true.......you get what you pay for! I do hope you've researched these pills and at least asked a doctor if the drug "ovral" can be dispensed w/o a prescription!!!! I don't think I'd trust my eggs to an ad online that doesn't require a prescription for a prescription drug!!!!

Please look into this further hon! Best of luck and PM me anytime if you want!

Last edited by LixyChick : 02-16-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Oops! I got so excited I forgot to add.....

raven18...You should see a gynecologist now that you are sexually active (shame on you for not doing that before becoming active!...lol...Had to say that! It's the mommy in me!). You can look up Family Planning in the phone book and/or obgyn's (obstetrics and gynecology). You should have a P.A.P. test and they can find out some family and medical history so they can help you make the best possible choice in birth control!

Best of luck!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 02-16-2004, 07:04 PM

thanks
Old 02-16-2004, 07:14 PM

also, does insurance cover gynecologist visits?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Unhappy

I know that no one wants to hear it,but I agree,entirely,with Lixy.
You should get a medical exam,before anything,is used.If you buy
perscription drugs on the web,You don't know what is in them! Why do you think they call them perscription!Saving a little money,
isn't worth your long term health.I get ads,constantly,on the web,
saying things like-Get perscription drugs without a perscription!
Bullshit.Sometimes,your Dr.,will specify,on your perscription,to the
drugstore-No generics or substitutes.That's because,the original,
has something,that the generic,does not.Also,a BC pill,doesn't stop an STD.That's just my $.02.I may not be a woman,but I have
a long-time wife & two daughters! Irish
PF---My father told me that a dime works,just as well as an asprin!
P.P.S.Example-One of my medications,can't be generic,because the original is time-released.With a generic,you get the dose,all
at once.That is too much for your system to handle.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Grumble
I have learnt a lot already from this thread.

In Australia it is illegal to get the pill other than by prescription.

I would rather pay a little more and know what I am getting is kosher than take a risk.

great advice from Lixy I reckon. You are too precious to us all not to get the right prescription and have the right safeguards Raven.

BTW this all came about because after reading that Raven had lost her virginity and I PM'ed her congratulating her transition.

The dad came out in me and I asked if she was on the pill. I am a little shocked she wasn't but we were all young once. Well at least now Raven is going to take the steps to prevent an unwanted preganancy that would be disasterous for her.

Would be most surprised if your health insurance would not cover a check up with a Gynaecologist. Have a look at your policy Hun.