Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseal
WildIrish,

Yes.

I'm still waiting for you to respond to my post to you, sir.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Just me.

Well, we do know the wonderful criminal Dr. Hsu gave $100K to Hilliary ... but, in the interest of fair play she's giving back $20K. I wonder where I can get a deal like that.

I also wish I could get the secret service to protect me and pay the cost of my mortgage for the privilege.

Let's face it, I don't trust any of our politicians from either major party. I figure if they're honest ... they won't last.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jude30
Quote:
I also wish I could get the secret service to protect me and pay the cost of my mortgage for the privilege.

As for getting the Secret Service protecting you all you have to do is get your spouse elected President. Unless you'd like to change over 100 years of tradition/law the President's spouse has always enjoyed the service.

Secondly concerning them charging the Secret Service rent and getting their mortgage paid for... maybe you should learn how to use Snopes.com

Link shows what you think you know you don't really know.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
still, there is much money wasted in government excess. intense secret service for ex-presidents might be a bit too much, and guarding empty houses is way, way, way too much.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 09-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksbro
Well, we do know the wonderful criminal Dr. Hsu gave $100K to Hilliary ... but, in the interest of fair play she's giving back $20K. I wonder where I can get a deal like that.

I'm still interested in Cheney's profits from this war. I figure it's a wee bit more than a $100K.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jude30
In the grand scheme of things the amount spent on the secret service to protect ex-Presidents is probably negligible. I also don't consider it money wasted since even as ex-Presidents they are still targets after they tenure.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:21 AM
is not this trim anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksbro

Apparently that number is up to $850k.

That's approaching real money!

And though they haven't charged it...I'd have no problem accepting the $1,100 a month the government deemed the Clintons are able to collect for the Secret Service taking up space in their home.

Hell, for that money I'd be glad to let them take up space in MY home! Mrs. WI probably wouldn't mind either.

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph
I'm still waiting for you to respond to my post to you, sir.

Steph,

I believe that your post quoted below is the one to which you refer.
Quote:
I'm still waiting for links that would disprove Cheney has financially benefited from this war. You can talk in circles but I would like to hold you to this point. You attack my POV but won't show me any evidence to the contrary and your tone leaves a lot to be desired.

If that is true, then my response to you is that you are mistaken.

You made a claim of the form “such-and-such is true”. The particular claim was:

Quote:
... Cheney is making SO much money in Iraq ...

I asked if you had any evidence to support your claim. You will notice that there is no circularity involved. You made a claim. I asked if you could support your claim. Please note also that inquiring if you can substantiate a claim you have made does not amount to an attack on you point of view. Finally, as you were the one to make the claim, it is your responsibility to substantiate it; I am under no obligation to provide any evidence to the contrary. Your claim stands or falls on its own merits.

You have not yet provided evidence to warrant your claim. Should you do so, and I find the evidence you provide credible and persuasive (that Halliburton's profits are the result of an abuse of power linking back to VP Cheney), then I, like other reasonable people, will agree that appropriate remedies should be sought against Mr. Cheney.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
is not this trim anymore!

Despite having denied there being any continued financial interest in Halliburton, as a shareholder Mr. Cheney has experienced an increase in his net worth. While it was noble of him to give up any unvested stock options when he took office, this amounted to 400,000 of the 1,160,000 share options he had at the time of his resignation from Halliburton. Within a week of resigning, Mr. Cheney exercised options to purchase stock at less than then current value. But then that is what the whole point behind stock options is. At any rate, this netted him $35 million.

He continues to hold 433,333 stock options.

As Halliburton's profits rise, so do all stockholders. And part of Halliburton's profits are from lucrative contracts for services in Iraq. Not all of them, obviously, but $10 billion is nothing to sneeze at. That figure was from 2005.

That having been said...owning stocks and options does not constitue a crime. Nor does his continuing to collect annual compensation from Halliburton.

What you're asking for, jseal, is not whether or not he profitted, but for proof that Mr. Cheney is directly responsible for the contracts Halliburton is/was awarded that generate the profits they (and in turn he) reap. That, I repeat, is a smoking gun that none of us will find.

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 AM

WildIrish,

Yes sir. You are probably correct about that.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIrish
And though they haven't charged it...I'd have no problem accepting the $1,100 a month the government deemed the Clintons are able to collect for the Secret Service taking up space in their home.

Don't all former presidents have secret service? I'm confused about this point.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:30 PM

Steph,

President Clinton will be the last president to receive lifetime protection. In 1997, Congress modified the law to limit Secret Service protection for subsequent presidents to 10 years after leaving office.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseal
You have not yet provided evidence to warrant your claim.

I think many people have shown he's profited. AGAIN, I ask you to disprove these claims.

Please show me how Mr. Cheney is not profiting from Halliburton.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:34 PM

Steph,

Many thousands of people profit from Haliburton. It is a "for profit" corporation. Profit is what it is in business to achieve.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Banned

I had promised myself I'd leave Pixies. It's mostly an American site. I wanted people to join this thread to discuss the positive things the Bush admin has put forward.

Sadly, I've got jseal writing the way he normally writes.

Bullshit aside, your VP is profiting from this war. There are links in this thread that prove it.

Jseal, you have kids in university. I'll ask you this -- what are you thoughts on the American economy? How do you feel about the debt incurred from this war?

I lowered myself to almost gloat because my country refused to join this war. I stood by it then, I stand prouder now. I read a lot. I am against this war more now.

I was asking for comments. Of course, jseal, you're you. I ask you straight questions, I get links back.

Tell me your thoughts on this war. Tell me your thoughts on the economy. What are your feelings on the economy your grandchildren will face. If possible, give me some opinions. No links, please.