Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2003, 03:27 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

Send a message via ICQ to dm383
August 24th

In 1992 Hurricane Andrew smashed into Florida, causing record damage of $25 Billion.....and killing 55 people.

My ex and I went on holiday there in October that year...... you would never have known, from what WE saw, that it had ever happened.

Today in 1972, Henry McCullough and Denny Siewell of Wings told Paul McCartney they were leaving the band; just before it recorded stand-out album "Band On The Run". DOH!!!

In 1875 Captain Matthew Webb, Cunard Line Master-turned-professional endurance swimmer, set off from Dover on his 22-hour feat to become the first person ever to swim the English Channel - a distance of just over 22 miles!

In 1967, two penguins from Chessington Zoo, in England, were taken on a day-trip to Streatham ice-rink in South London - to let them cool off during a sweltering summer!!
Betcha it didn't happen THIS year!!!
I only own my mind
Old 08-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Just me.

In AD79, Mt Vesuvius erupted and buried Pompeii & Herculaneum

In AD410 Rome was overrun by Visigoths which bascially ended the Western Roman Empire

In 1572 King Charles IX ordered the massacre of thousands of French Protestants

What a fun day 8/24 has been
Old 08-25-2003, 03:55 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

August 25th

In 2001, singer Aaliyah was killed in a plane crash

Liverpool F.C.'s famous "Kop" stand was opened at their Anfield ground today in 1928. It was named after Spion Kop in South Africa, site of a famous battle in the Boer War.

The Honourable Artillery Company, the oldest regiment in the British Army, was first chartered by Henry VIII in 1537; at a time when 'Artillery' meant 'Small Arms'.

In 1830, opera-goers in Brussels were inspired by a new work by George Auber, about an anti-Spanish uprising n Naples, to start a revolution against the Dutch authorities.
I only own my mind
Old 08-25-2003, 12:12 PM
yada, yada, yada

Send a message via Yahoo to darogle
More for Aug 25th:

1718 - The city of New Orleans, Louisiana, was founded and named in honor of the Duke of Orleans of France.

1814 - British forces destroyed the United States Library of Congress along with the 3,000 books it contained.

1875 - British swimmer Matthew Webb was the first documented person to swim across the English Channel. The day before, smeared in porpoise oil for insulation, he departed Dover (England) and twenty-one hours and 45 minutes later waded ashore at Cape Gris Nez, near Calais (France).

1944 - Paris was liberated when the local German commander, General Choltitz, surrendered to the allies.

1930 - The original (and best) James Bond, Sean Connery was born
Old 08-26-2003, 04:27 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

August 26th

In 1346, British soldiers used the Longbow to defeat the French at the Battle of Crecy. The finger arrangement used to fire the arrows later gives birth to the "V" sign! (Allegedly!!)

Today in 1970, up to 600,000 people descended on Afton Farm on the Isle of Wight to hear The Who, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Joan Baez and MANY more, in a vast, anarchic pop festival!!! Doncha just wish you coulda BEEN there?!!

Felix Mendelssohn conducted the first performance of his great oratorio Elijah at the Birmingham Festival, in 1846.

On this day in 1946, long before a dog said "sausages" on Esther Rantzens 'That's Life' programme, BBC engineers recorded Ben, a dog in Royston, Hertfordshire, saying "I Want One" in a gruff voice. Sounds like a bit of a 'shaggy dog' story to me!!

btw, th^t last one, probably only Brits of a 'certain age' will remember that programme!!!
I only own my mind
Old 08-27-2003, 02:17 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

August 27th

Smallpox was first used as a biological weapon in 1763, when British forces distributed blankets used by smallpox patients among Native americans collaborating with the French Makes a person proud to be British!

Today in 79AD burning lava from Mount Vesuvius, the volcano that had erupted with terrible force three days earlier, engulfed & totally buried the Roman city of Pompeii

Edwin Drake developed the technique of drilling inside a tube to bore the world's first Oil Well at Titusville, Pennsylvania, finding oil today in 1859 just 69 feet below the surface!

In 1941, German soldiers on the Eastern Front in WW2 were issued with a Russian phrase book containing more than 3000 expressions - though NOT including "sorry"
I only own my mind
Old 08-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

August 28th

In 1997, lightning killed a Camel at Knowlsey Safari Park on Merseyside, England.

Today in 1987 the last of the mailbags traditionally hand-sewn by convicts for the Royal Mail, were produced by inmates of Dartmoor Prison.

St. Andrews university (Scotland), set up by Bishop Henry Wardlaw, had it's foundation ratified by a Papal Bull of Pope Benedict XIII today in 1413.

5000 bricks from Liverpool's famous 'Cavern Club', sold for charity at £5 each in 1983, NOW fetch up to £700 apiece. Others were used to re-create the club on an overlapping site.
I only own my mind
Old 08-30-2003, 03:05 PM
Pixies Horse Widower

August 30th

Sorry, not sure what happened to yesterday..... thought I'd posted it, but it doesn't look like it!!! Back to today......

In 30 B.C., Cleopatra committed suicide by holding an Asp to her chest.

In 1991, having won 66 Long Jump events in a row, Carl Lewis was finally beaten - by Mike Powell's world record leap of 8.95 metres.

The first street trams to run in Britain appeared on Birkenhead Street Railway in 1960.

In 1901, Hubert Booth of Glasgow reversed the action of a dust-blowing machine to invent the vacuum cleaner.
I only own my mind
Old 08-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Just me.

Bad day for Iranian leaders back in 1981 ...

In 1981, Mohammad Ali Rajai president of Iran, was assassinated by a bomb; and, that same year, Mohammad Javad Bahonar prime minister of Iran, was assassinated by a bomb.

BTW ... on the 29th ... for you motorcycle fans ... Gottlieb Daimler received German patent for a motorcycle in 1885.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:06 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

August 31st

In 1997, Diana, Princess of Wales, was killed in a car crash in Paris. (There has STILL not been an official enquiry, OR memorial, for this woman!)

In 1968 Sir Garfield (Gary) Sobers, batting against Glamorgan at Swansea, hits six "sixes" in one over. The commentator shouted "It's gone WAY down to Swansea!" (For our U.S. cousins, it's kinda like hitting a Home Run in every innings, as I understand baseball!!)

The first bottles of Charles Candler's new drink, Coca-Cola, arrived in Brtitain from Atlanta, Georgia, in 1900.

Today in 1983, angler Russell Doig was presented with a special trophy fot catching the first Salmon in the River Thames for over 150 years!! 150 years; now THAT'S pollution!!
I only own my mind
Old 09-01-2003, 11:34 AM
yada, yada, yada

Sept 1st

1945 - The United States received official word of Japan's formal surrender that ended World War II. In Japan, it was actually September 2nd.
1972 - Robert "Bobby" Fischer, United States chess player, defeated Soviet player Boris Spassky in Reykjavik, Iceland, becoming the United States' first player to officially win the World Chess Championship. Fisher's strange demands during tournaments, off-the-wall antics, and unexplained forfeiture of his world title brought him an uncharacteristic notoriety than most chess champions.

1985 - A joint United States-French expedition located the wreck of the Titanic roughly 560 miles off the coast of Newfoundland. The "unsinkable" ocean-liner sunk in 1912 after hitting an iceberg. Twelve years after the wreck's location, the movie Titanic went on to break box office records.

1997 - In France, the prosecutor's office said the driver of the car in which Princess Diana was killed, was over the legal alcohol limit.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:47 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

September 2nd

In 1999, a cat nicknamed "Sparkey" ~ who survived an 11,000-volt electric shock ~ died after returning to the electricity sub-station that almost killed him originally How many lives was that again?

Today in 1192, Richard the Lionheart signed a peace treaty with Salah ad-Din (Saladin) and withdrew his forces from Jerusalem, thus ending the Third Crusade

In 1987, Philips introduced the video disc, called CD-video, combining digital sound with high-definition video! Didn't think they'd been around THAT long!

The name "California", from Garcia de Montalvo's 16th-century novel The Exploits of Esplandian,describes a mythical kingdom ruled by black women. Never happen....... will it?
I only own my mind
Old 09-03-2003, 01:59 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

September 3rd

William the Conqueror, scourge of King Harold at the Battle of Hastings, died today in 1087.

In 1985, Greater London Council leader Ken Livingstone, (now Mayor of London) parachuted into the River Thames as a publicity stunt.

The first British campaign medals were issued after the English army, led by Oliver Cromwell, routed the Scots at the Battle of Dunbar in 1650 (Cost 'em, though!!)

When Sweden changed from driving on the left, to the right, in 1967, accidents were REDUCED, as drivers were much more careful!!! Bit like us Brits driving ANYWHERE in Europe!!!
I only own my mind
Old 09-03-2003, 10:03 AM
yada, yada, yada

Some more for Sept. 3

1783 - The Paris Peace Treaty was signed between the United States and Great Britain, officially ending the American Revolutionary War for independence.

1895 - In Latrobe, Pennsylvania, the first professional football game was played. With the score 12-0, the Latrobe YMCA defeated the Jeannette Athletic Club. Decades later, Latrobe became the home for the Pittsburgh Steelers' training camp.

1939 - British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, in a radio broadcast, announced that Britain and France had declared war on Germany.

1954 - After 21 years and 2,956 episodes, "The Lone Ranger" was heard for the final time on radio.

1962 - American poet and painter e e cummings died at age 67 in North Conway, New Hampshire.
1976 - The U.S. spacecraft Viking 2 landed on Mars and began sending back photographs of the Martian landscape.

1991 - Wanda Holloway of Channelview, Texas, was convicted on this date of trying to hire a hit man to kill the mother of her daughter's cheerleader rival in junior high school.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Pixies Horse Widower

September 4th

Ismail Ayyildiz died in hospital today in 1995, after trying to shoot out his bad tooth!!

In 1733, Britain's first ever lioness died of old age in the Tower of London, where she had been cared for by the Keeper of the Lion Office, having produced "many cubs"

In 1781, Spanish settlers namded their town, on the west coast of America, El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles.... "The Town of Our Lady the queen of the Angels"

Belgian writer Georges Simenon, creator of the fictional detective "Maigret", died today in 1989, claiming to have made love to over 10,000 women.
I only own my mind