Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Back to School Madness (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31519)

scotzoidman 08-25-2007 10:40 PM

As the grades get into the double digits, the supply lists get shorter but wider.

The one item my Honors Algebra student had to have was a $120 scientific calculator (TI-84 Plus...no substitutes).

LixyChick 08-26-2007 10:43 AM

I don't remember ever having a list when I was in elementary school. Mom just bought lots of stuff and we took what we needed as we needed it.

Of course...she had to buy more little critters to feed our dinosaur who rode us to school. He needed the energy for the long trek up hill...both ways! Fuel wasn't as expensive back then. But it was louder and messier!

IowaMan 08-26-2007 11:52 AM

I'm with Lixy, I don't ever recall having a specific list of things we had to have for school. We knew we needed paper, pencils, folders, a ruler and erasers but that was pretty much it.

gekkogecko 08-26-2007 12:54 PM

(Insert snarky comment ehre about Salacious heading into third grade).

Mine's in college, so the lists are short, detailed, and expensive!

Salacious 08-26-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkogecko
(Insert snarky comment ehre about Salacious heading into third grade).

Mine's in college, so the lists are short, detailed, and expensive!

Actually I wouldn't mind going back into the third grade, that's where I got my first kiss.

*remembers fondly*

jseal 08-26-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear
I read this with mixed feelings.... my youngest starts her senior year of college on the 5th. On one hand I'm thinking 'yea!!... no more running around looking for school supplies'! :) And then on the other hand I'm thinking 'No more running around looking for school supplies!' :(

Teddy Bear,

I feel your pleasure :) and pain :sad: . I just sent my eldest back to begin her senior year.

Steph 08-26-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman
As the grades get into the double digits, the supply lists get shorter but wider.

The one item my Honors Algebra student had to have was a $120 scientific calculator (TI-84 Plus...no substitutes).

A third-year Biochem textbook can go for $120 or more with usually no resale value.

Salacious' list sounds semi-suicidal, though!

Pita 08-27-2007 06:54 PM

I just spent a $147.50 on an accounting textbook and that was with our membership price at Barnes & Nobles.

The other book I needed was a mere $70

:eek: I best get them A's!!

WildIrish 08-28-2007 09:19 AM

Supplies for my daughter going into 6th grade:

• 3-ring binder (2 ½ or 3 inch) or accordion file folder (with at least seven sections)
• 1 packet of notebook paper (loose leaf, NOT college ruled)
• 1 ruler – must have standard and metric measures (bendable/non-breakable)
• 1 dozen #2 pencils
• 1 dozen erasable blue or black pens
• 1 dozen correcting green pens (no gel pens, please)
• Separators for the binder (at least seven sections)
• Pencil pouch for inside the binder or accordion
• 2 spiral one subject notebooks (70 pages and full size)
• 1 durable pencil sharpener
• 2-two pocket folders
• Flash Drive (128 MB or larger)

WTF? They don't even have a friggin pencil shapener by the door anymore? Where the heck are my tax dollars going? I know it's not ending up in the teacher's pockets, and now I find out they don't even have pencil sharpeners? :mad:

IowaMan 08-28-2007 09:27 AM

A 128 MB flash drive???......... for a sixth grader????

Please tell me you threw that one in there to see if anybody was reading.

WildIrish 08-28-2007 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMan
A 128 MB flash drive???......... for a sixth grader????

Please tell me you threw that one in there to see if anybody was reading.

Nope...that's on the list.

Actually, it makes sense. The school used to provide 1.44mb diskettes to transport .doc's & .pps's to and from computer lab and home, but now want kids to provide their own flash drives because many home computers don't even come with 3.5" disk drives any more. Besides, they're not as expensive as they sound. I found 512mb flash drives at Staples for $10.

IowaMan 08-28-2007 09:37 AM

Damn, I'm old. :(

WildIrish 08-28-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMan
Damn, I'm old. :(

The first step is admitting it.

The benefit to being old is that you don't look like a weirdo when you're shopping for an antique shelf! :D

scotzoidman 08-28-2007 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph
A third-year Biochem textbook can go for $120 or more with usually no resale value.

Salacious' list sounds semi-suicidal, though!

I assume you're talking about college level there, where you expect to pay for everything...I'm talking about high school, although this isn't the 1st time I've had to spring for a sci-calc, just the 1st time they were so fussy about what kind...

And WI, welcome to the new order, where schools don't have the stupid pencil sharpener in the classroom anymore...I remember every classroom I was in had one, with the directive that we were not to sharpen crayons in it (they didn't bother to tell us what the penalty for doing so would be, just left it to our imaginations)...

The flash drive, I guess, is just a sign of how technology moves ahead so quickly that some of us who think we're pretty savvy can't even keep up...

Teddy Bear 08-28-2007 02:09 PM

Lixy, you had a "dinosaur who rode us to school." Lucky! We had to do the walk... up hill, both ways, in the snow... alone.

The list does definetly get shorter but more expensive in higher grades. The textbook prices are "wow"... unbelievable for some of them. She buys used and resells when/if she can. We've found several on line for alot less (watch the shipping fees though). The only problem is you don't have them right away, sometimes takes a week or 2 to get them. But if you can make do, the savings are worth it.

What I noticed on WI's list more then the Flash drive was: "1 dozen correcting green pens". Did you know they don't correct with red pens anymore. I forget the exact reason or wording but something about red causing the child to have low self-esteem or something to that effect. I'll ask my oldest when she gets home. She got that from one of her psychology classes. Kinda silly to me. A big red zero or a green one mean the same thing....... ya didn't study kid! Oh well, I'm old, what do I know.

jseal, kinda bitter-sweet. Glad I'm not the only one. :)