Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Evolution Revolution (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26643)

PantyFanatic 10-31-2005 09:01 PM

^^^ SC :thumb:

and don’t forget the universe could really be riding on the back of a turtle. ;)

maddy 10-31-2005 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
Now days they offer a variety of classes even in high school that provide students with an opportunity to explore a wide selection of faiths. Often the classes are set up in a compare/contrast type model. I know the one my son is taking currently also explores those faiths through the historical writings of followers. Their summer reading was The Adventures of Ibn Battuta : A Muslim Traveller of the 14th Century Typically they are counted as either a Science or History course in order to allow the students who would most be interested in the class to receive proper credit. There is no Social Science in highschool.

:thumb: Glad to hear it Lilith! I have regrets now for not taking the course osuche mentions. My only concern to introducing it in high school is that some people might not be ready to absorb the information (I certainly wasn't).

Lilith 10-31-2005 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy
:thumb: Glad to hear it Lilith! I have regrets now for not taking the course osuche mentions. My only concern to introducing it in high school is that some people might not be ready to absorb the information (I certainly wasn't).

The course my son is taking required that you have signed forms by previous teachers stating that you were capable of managing that sort of material.

PantyFanatic 10-31-2005 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy
..... My only concern to introducing it in high school is that some people might not be ready to absorb the information (I certainly wasn't).

Funny! Most organized religions require a life pledge by the age of 13 or 14. Wonder why that would be? :confused:

Oldfart 10-31-2005 11:44 PM

The theory of the Earth riding on the turtle's back was disproven when Apollo 18 missed the Moon and lodged in the Celestial crystal hemisphere. Shortly before they were eaten by Hermes horses they sent back several photos which proved conclusively that it was indeed a tortoise, not a turtle we are balanced on.

Such arrant mythconceptions are the bane of all true seekers of knowledge.

PantyFanatic 11-01-2005 12:07 AM

Apollo 18

mythconceptions

Now THAT'S intelligent design! :grin:

WildIrish 11-01-2005 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantyFanatic
Funny! Most organized religions require a life pledge by the age of 13 or 14. Wonder why that would be? :confused:

Don't go there PF.

Pita 11-01-2005 09:41 AM

I believe in intelligent design and that it should be taught just as much as evolution should be.

PantyFanatic 11-01-2005 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIrish
Don't go there PF.

yes master
sorry master
:o

I knew I should waite for the directive from on high. :bang:

WildIrish 11-01-2005 10:46 AM

Quote:
yes master
sorry master
:o

I knew I should waite for the directive from on high. :bang:

Oh, I'm sorry...were you NOT intending to offend everyone that follows a religion of faith? So sorry. I didn't mean to misinterpret. I'm kind of simple...been that way since 13.

osuche 11-01-2005 11:03 AM

Down boys! :spank:

I hoped we could keep this civil, and I was really curious about everyone's answers. Different strokes for different folks.....but we must all, as a country, come to a conclusion about what we want to teach our young ones in public school. I'm sure several other countries battle the same issues.

It's by discussing these kind of ideological conflicts that we move our thinking forward. Or at least I hope. :)

WildIrish 11-01-2005 11:12 AM

How can one have a discussion with someone (on either side of an arguement like this) that refuses to acknowledge your opinion? Or worse, dismisses the reason behind your having that opinion as the byproduct of an inability to grasp the concepts that might disprove it?

jseal 11-01-2005 11:24 AM

WildIrish

You put your finger on one of the principle difficulties about this subject. Thank you.

On occassion, one of the participants will adopt a position to the effect “I disagree with what you say, but rather than engage you in debate, I will deny your legitimacy to debate the subject.”

This technique is a most regrettable position for anyone to adopt, and one which must be worked around for any useful resolution to what are often important issues.

PantyFanatic 11-01-2005 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIrish
Oh, I'm sorry...were you NOT intending to offend everyone that follows a religion of faith? So sorry. I didn't mean to misinterpret. I'm kind of simple...been that way since 13.

That’s CORRECT! You DID misinterpret! I was NOT intending to offend everyone that follows a religion of faith. I was responding to someone that also considered the possibility of people having additional thought and opinions after puberty.

I’m not going to contribute to redirecting the intent of this thread. I have learned the lesson I was taught there. You state your opinion and I’ll get to read it. See. I’m still learning how things work. :)

WildIrish 11-01-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

I'm reacting, dude...not lashing out. You throw a line like that out and expect nobody to be offended? Then you play the victim when they are?

I quoted your original post because there's no way to misconstrue it's meaning. You're stating that religion indoctrinates it's followers while they are young because anyone "intelligent and able to absorb information" wouldn't follow.

As to my opinion, I'm a believer of evolution with a twist. I don't know how life began, but something beyond my comprehension occurred, and I think that from that...there's been a series of changes throughout existence that's led us to where we are today. What that initial something was...don't know. Could've been scientific or it could've been an act of divine intervention. Point is there's people that believe either, or, both or neither.

I think that for the chapter on "How life began...", concepts should be taught as such. Concepts. Start out the discussion with "Today we will be discussing the most common theories surrounding the beginning of life. We will not be attempting to decide which one is correct by discrediting the rest, but merely discussing the differences between the principals of each." Is that wrong?