Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Sex Talk (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New HPV vaccine? (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28270)

Cassiopeia 06-13-2006 10:06 PM

I too was excited to hear the news. I only hope that it will eventually be more cost efficient for all women of different socioeconomic status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
It prevents only 4 strains but they are the most common.

As far as I know it works in men also.

Oldfart 06-14-2006 06:26 AM

Kenshin,

There is no indication of cancer from the virus in men that I am aware of, but the lack of a cervix

probably has a protective aspect.

Loren 06-14-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
Kenshin,

There is no indication of cancer from the virus in men that I am aware of, but the lack of a cervix

probably has a protective aspect.

Yeah, the benefits in men are less but the greater the penetration of the vaccine the less there will be of the disease. Since it's probably a human-only disease it could be driven into extinction by a sufficient vaccination program.

Oldfart 06-14-2006 05:34 PM

It worked for Smallpox.

This was not Clark Kent's brush with syphilis.

Fangtasia 06-14-2006 06:54 PM

The vaccine looks to become part of the primary school immunization program here.....it will be free to 11-12 yrs old girls

Brilliant idea

It is for women only that i have heard....those wishing to be innoculated (other than those that chose to have it at done at school age) will have to pay approximately AU$200 for the course of injections

Oldfart 10-15-2006 11:40 PM

It's a punt they take which may save their lives. Their choice.

Loulabelle 10-16-2006 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman
The emphasis seems to be on immunizing the very young women, since it's not of any help to those who've already been exposed...

On a very discouraging but not unexpected note, the Bluenoses have spoken out against the vaccine, saying that it will "encourage young girls to have unprotected sex"...

...news flash, :ahole: , it's the human sex drive that makes young people want to have sex...we owe it to our children to do whatever's needed to teach them to be smart about it...

I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but in the UK the fact that having sex at a young age and with numerous partners can increase your exposure to HPV, therefore increasing your risk of developing cervical cancer was never made clear.

I received an above average quality of sex education and it was never even touched upon - perhaps if it had been there would be fewer underage girls having sex and living a promiscuous lifestyle.

A friend of mine was found to have 'abnormal cells' when she was 18 and was told by a very unfeeling doctor 'It's because you had sex so young and with so many different people that you've got this' which made her cry as she had no idea that she was putting herself at risk at the time.

If kids are not being taught the dangers of HPV in the first place, then how can a vaccination against it make them more likely to have underage sex?

Lilith 10-16-2006 04:32 AM

Here in the US there is a television campaign regarding HPV but it does not give all the info. Instead it suggests you speak to your doctor.

bob_goatse 10-16-2006 10:23 AM

The vaccine is only for girls who have not yet had sex as the vaccine will only prevent an infection and will do nothing for someone who is already infected. It will only protect against the 2 strains that most often cause genital warts and the 2 strains that most often cause cervical cancer. It will not protect against the dozens of other strains that exist.

BTW, the only "safe" sex to prevent the transfer of HPV is no sex.

Loren 10-16-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
Here in the US there is a television campaign regarding HPV but it does not give all the info. Instead it suggests you speak to your doctor.

Of course not. If they're going to discuss the drug they need to go into all the medical disclosure, something that's pretty hard to do on TV.

Fangtasia 10-16-2006 01:39 PM

The vaccine is not only for girls who have not had sex...it is just more effective....but thats not to say that it can do nearly as much for a woman who's had sex

I'm looking into the cost of getting the series of injections....i think its around AU$400 for a woman to get the course done....but will need to discuss cost with my Doc.

Lilith 10-16-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
Of course not. If they're going to discuss the drug they need to go into all the medical disclosure, something that's pretty hard to do on TV.

My main concern is that they do not go into the risks associated with premature sexual activity.

bob_goatse 10-16-2006 06:53 PM

If a girl/woman has had sex then the benefit of the vaccination decreases as there is possible exposure to the 4 strains the vaccine was designed for. With the addition of multiple sex partners the benefit is even less.

wyndhy 10-16-2006 07:30 PM

yes, but notice that there is a benefit, the odds just increase or decrease depending.

Loren 10-17-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
My main concern is that they do not go into the risks associated with premature sexual activity.

In other words, we should leave women vulnerable to HPV in order to scare them into abstinence??