Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Strange Days (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15165)

dm383 09-10-2003 03:58 AM

September 10th

In 1981, after 40 years in the U.S., Pablo Picasso's painting Guernicawent back to Spain. He had forbidden its exhibition in Spain until democracy was restored

The world's first recognised motorway (freeway/interstate-type road, for our American friends!!) opened on a six-mile stretch known as the Avus Autobahn, in Berlin in 1921

Also in 1981, two aggressive pelicans had to be moved to London Zoo from St. James's Park, because they had taken to eating ducklings!!

dm383 09-11-2003 05:19 AM

September 11th

Don't really need to mention the first one, do I?

In 1275, a huge earthquake destroyed much of Glastonbury in Somerset, including the early Saxon church of St. Michael on top of the famous Tor

Britain's first widely available bootleg LP (anybody remember THEM?) was a two-album Bob Dylan collection called Great White Wonderwhich, unofficially, reached UK shops today in 1969

Not sure this last one's in too good taste, but anyway;

Former U.S. Secretary of Defense Frank Carlucci watched the events of 9/11 unfold on TV, in the company of members of the Bin Laden family, at a Merchant bank's annual meeting

dm383 09-12-2003 05:52 PM

September 12th

In 1953, Nikita Khrushchev, the man who was publicly to acknowledge Stalin's crimes, was elected First Secretary of the Soviet Communist Party

On this day in 1960, a law came into force stipulating that all cars in Britain more than three years old had to pass a Ministry of Transport test of their roadworthiness (The start of the Dreaded MOT!!)

Cleopatra's Needle was erected on the Thames embankment in 1878, but the 69ft obelisk predates the qqueen (born i n 69BC) by several hundred years

dm383 09-13-2003 02:56 PM

September 13th

In 1940, the Luftwaffe dropped six bombs on Buckingham Palace, one of which exploded just 80 yards from where King George VI was sitting at his desk

Work began in 122 A.D. on building a wall from the Tyne to the Solway, to defend one of the farthest outposts of the Roman Empire from the marauding Picts. It becake known as Hadrian's Wall.

The England soccer teams plans to retain the World Cup in Mexico were hampered in 1970 when skipper Bobby Moore was put under house-arrest, falsely accused of shoplifting a bracelet.

dm383 09-14-2003 01:01 PM

September 14th

In 1812, Napoleon entered Moscow, which the Russians had abandoned. Later that day, a fire destroyed much of the city, and Napoleon retreated! Cincidence? I don't think so!! :eek:

Joesph Heath of Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club took the first penalty kick in a Football League game, scoring the second goal of Wolves' 5-0 win over Accrington Stsanley in 1891.

In 1773 Dr. Samuel Johnson said "I have, all my life, lain in bed till noon; yet I tell all young men that nobody who does not rise early will ever do anything good". One up for hypocrisy, huh?? :)

dm383 09-15-2003 11:58 AM

September 15th

Back to four, this week (bit of a SNAFU last week!!)

In 1885, Phineas T. Barnum's prize elephant Jumbowas hit by a train in Ontario

In 1980, Prince Charles was awarded his international diving licence, after five dives on the wreck of the Mary Rose

H.M.S. Resolution, Britain's first nuclear-powered submarine, was launched by H.M. The Queen Mother at Barrow-in-Furness in 1966.

The Goons' second hit record, The Ying Tong Song, entered the UK charts today in 1956. It went on to reach number three i the hit-parade How many out there remember THAT one?!?! :)

dm383 09-16-2003 05:20 PM

September 16th

The fires in Moscow, set by the Russians two days earlier to deny Napoleon the riches of the city, finally die down. 80% of the city was levelled by the force of the fire.

King Harold marched his army from London to meet his brother in battle in Yorkshire in 1066, before returning to nearlydefeat William of Normandy at Hastings (on October 14th)

Think about that for a minute....... marching upwards of 700 miles, and TWO battles, in less than a month!!!

(Brit) comedian Steve Coogan first introduced us to his new creation, the ghastly broadcaster "Alan Partridge", in his TV show Knowing Me, Knowing You in 1994.

Businessman Clarence Birdseye first got the idea for his frozen-foods firm in 1920, while watching Eskimos catching and storing fish.

dm383 09-17-2003 02:01 PM

September 17th

In 1862, 23,100 men became casualties in the Civil War battle of Antietam - the bloodiest single day i U.S. military history.

Today in 1948, members of a Zionist extremist group assassinated Count Folke Bernadotte, the United Nations mediator for Palestine

In 1900, Queen Victoria signed the document that united the six Australian colonies into the Federal Commonwealth of Australia. Happy 103rd Birthday, Oz!!! :bday:

In the battle of Antietam, Union General George McClellan was able to halt Confederate Robert E. Le's advance after a soldier found his plans wrapped around a cigar! Bet he wished he'd smoked it!!! :)

dm383 09-18-2003 04:58 AM

September 18th

Jimi Hendrix was found dead in London this day in 1970 Another one who died FAR too young!

In 1798, Napper Tandy and General Rey landed a French?Irish army in Donegal, nd handed out proclamations and green cockades in the last armed invasion of Great Britain

French engineers began work on a special tunnel under a motorway near Toulon, so tortoises could cross the road in safety

The cornerstone of the U.S. Capitol building in Washington was laid in 1793, in a distinctly "Masonic" ceremony presided over by George Washington

dm383 09-19-2003 03:55 PM

September19th

William Joyce, aka Lord Haw-Haw, is sentenced to death for treason in 1945. He had broadcast German propaganda to Britain during WW2

Also today, in 1945, seventeen-year-old screen star Shirley Temple wed actor John Agar. The marriage ended in divorce after just four years.

In 1975, BBC TV showed A Touch of Class, the first episode of John Cleese's "Fawlty Towers"series. It was cooly received. For our American friends..... Fawlty Towers is now widely acclaimed as a Comedy Classic! :)

In 1791, Hartley Coleridge planned a walking trip with (the poet) Wordsworth, but went into a shop, forgot about it, and left by the back door. He was gone for six weeks. Talk about MIA!! :)

dm383 09-20-2003 03:36 PM

September 20th

In 1997, the Great Gastronomic Kitty festival of cat cookery in Chile, was cancelled after pressure from welfare groups.

Today in 1519, Portugese navigator Ferdinand Magellan began his attempt to sail a fleet of five ships around the world. He was killed en route, but one of his ships completed the journey.

Eight riders covered 476 miles from Paris to Nantes and back in 1896, in the worlds first motorcycle race

In 1985, a drought in southern France became so extreme that the shrine at Lourdes had to ration its Holy Water for fear of running out!

dm383 09-21-2003 05:28 AM

September 21st

(so called) Pop group The Bangles broke up this day in 1989. See, I don't tell you ALL bad news in this thread!! :)

Today in 1937, J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbitwas published. The first print run sold out by Christmas, but the book didn't sell millions until the popularity of Lord Of The Ringsin the 1960's

Leeds University took on Reading (University) in 1962, as Bamber Gascoigne presented Granada TV's first University Challenge based on the American show College Bowl.

Monks from seven different countries, accompanied by an elephant, inaugurated Milton Keynes's new Peace Pagoda in 1980.

dicksbro 09-21-2003 06:52 AM

In 1982, San Francisco's cable cars ceased operations for 2 years for repairs to be done.

Bill Murray was born in Evanston Ill. Bill is a comedian that has done a number of movies like What About Bob and Stripes.

dm383 09-22-2003 12:40 PM

September 22nd

Thanks for those, dicksbro!! :)

Huan Huan, the only giant Panda ever to have given birth in Japan, died today in 1997

In 1828 the great Zulu chief Shaka, founder of the Zulu Kingdom, was murdered by his half-brother Dingane

The "ohm", "volt" and "ampere" were made official units at the Electrical Conference in Paris in 1888

Jack Dempsey floored heavyweight champion Gene Tunney during their fight in 1927, but retired to the wrong corner, giving Tunney time to recover and win the fight

dm383 09-23-2003 03:57 PM

September 23rd

In 1942, the first V2 rocket is successfully flown form Peenemunde in Germany.

At the Sydney olympics in 2000, Steve Redgrave over came diabetes and aching limbs to win a record-breaking fifth Olympic rowing GOld medal.

Quizmaster Michael Miles (any Brits remember HIM?) first invited contestants to "open the box" on ITV's Take Your Pick today in 1955

In 1667 a law was passed in Williamsburg, Virginia, barring slaves from obtaining freedom by converting to Christianity.

dm383 09-24-2003 02:22 AM

September 24th

In 1997 Bangladesh launched a campaign to cull 3.5 million RATS!!! Prizes were to be given to those who produced the most rat-tails!

Today in 1967, the two "Queens" of the Cunard Line, the Queen Mary & the Queen Elizabeth, passed each other in the Atlantic for the last time.

The first horse-racing Classic, the two-mile St. Leger, named after Irish soldier Lieutenant-Colonel Anthony St. Leger, was run for the first time at Doncaster in 1776. No record of any American entries though!! ;)

A loclal bobby rounded up, and took into custody, the crew of German Zeppelin LZ-76 in 1916, after it was forced down near Colchester, Essex.

dm383 09-25-2003 05:57 PM

September 25th

Led Zeppelin's John Bonham asphyxiated on his own vomit in 1980, after downing 40 shots of Vodka

in 1267, English king Henry III recognised Llywelyn ap Gruffydd and his heirs as kings of Wales, and agreed the borders of their respective territories. The agreement lasted just nine years!

The first transfusion of human blood into a human patient was carried out at Guy's hospital in London in 1818. Previous attempts had used animal blood.

Floyd Paterson became the first boxer to lose the world heavyweight title in the first round, being knocked out by Sonny Liston in 1962

dm383 09-26-2003 04:30 AM

September 26th

Japanese PM Hirobumi Ito and Ceylonese PM Solomon Bandaranaike were BOTH assassinated on this day, in 1909 and 1959 respectively.

In 1988, Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson was stripped of his 100 metres gold medal from the Seoul Olympics when he failed a drugs test

In 1907, having been a British colony for 100 years, New Zealnd became a self-governing dominion of the British Commonwealth. Happy Birthday, NZ!!! :)

The fastest "speeding" driver ever caught on the M3 motorway in england, was a doctor trapped at 149mph......... ina car with TWO faulty tyres!!

OK folks..... Celticangel and I are going away this weekend, not back til Monday. I'm still enjoying posting here, but I NEED to know if anyone else still feels the same, otherwise I'm just gonna kill the thread! Let me know here, if you'd be so kind. Thanx.

DM

dicksbro 09-26-2003 04:35 AM

In 1687, the Parthenon was destroyed in war between Turks & Venetians

In 1777, British troops occupied Philadelphia during the American Revolution

The opera "Lucia di Lammermoor" is produced in Naples in 1835. (This is the opera my wife and I just saw.)

darogle 09-26-2003 07:39 PM

Sept 26th

1962 - On CBS-TV, "The Beverly Hillbillies" debuted. Audiences in the United States were enchanted by Jed, Ellie Mae, Granny, Jethro, and Miss Jane.

1962 - The Soviet Union made an offer to end the Cuban Missile Crisis by taking its missile bases out of Cuba if the U.S. agreed to not invade Cuba.

1969 - The Beatles headed towards a hit LP for the fianl time, as "Abbey Road" was released in London, England. The "fab four's" 13th and fianl album for the quickly shot to #1 on the music charts, staying there for 11 weeks.

1996 - United States astronaut Shannon Lucid returned to earth after 188 days in orbit on the Russian space station Mir, longer than any other American and a record for a woman.

1998 - A French lab found a nerve agent on an Iraqi missile warhead.

And yes DM, I still like posting here.....just been really busy lately! :)

Steph 09-27-2003 11:32 AM

On Sept. 27, 1964, the Warren Commission issued a report concluding that Lee Harvey Oswald had acted alone in assassinating President Kennedy

darogle 09-29-2003 12:20 AM

Sept. 29th:

1789 - Congress voted to create the United States Army, made up of 1,000 enlisted men and officers.

1829 - Greater London’s Metropolitan Police has much to do when there was opposition to the act of Parliament authorizing the police force. The act was requested by Home Secretary Sir Robert Peel; so the police were called "Bobbies" in honor of him. The first official headquarters for the Bobbies were at Scotland Yard. Scotland Yard would become the police force's official name.

1913 - Rudolf Diesel, French inventor of the diesel internal combustion engine, disappeared and presumably drowned in the English Channel.

1947 - Musician Dizzy Gillespie (performing with Charlie Parker) made his Carnegie Hall debut in New York City. Playing with a full-sized band, Gillespie was the leader of a new wave of jazz known as bebop. Over time, Gillespie became one of the great jazz players of all time.

1961 - Lenny Bruce, controversial stand-up comedian, was arrested on this date for narcotics, and a week later, for obscenity.

1978 - Pope John Paul I was found dead after only one month as pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church.

1982 - After a man in California was poisoned by a strychnine-laced capsule, 264,000 bottles of pain reliever, Tylenol, were recalled. Seven people died from cyanide poisoning when, unknowingly, they took deliberately tampered with Tylenol. The killer or killers were never identified.

1986 - Mary Lou Retton, who in the 1984 Olympics stunned audiences with perfect 10 scores, retired from the world of gymnastics.

1989 - Actress Zsa Zsa Gabor was convicted of battery for slapping a Beverly Hills police officer who had pulled over her Rolls-Royce for expired license plates. (As part of her sentence, Gabor served three days in jail.)

Steph 09-29-2003 12:10 PM

My crazy kitten was born a year ago today! :)

dm383 09-29-2003 02:59 PM

September 29th

dicksbro... darogle... Steph Thank you SO much for your contributions...... I must admit, I was beginning to wonder if anyone ever read these little ramblings I find; seems you do, AND enjoy them!! OK, you ASKED for it!!! :D DM

Today is the anniversary of the first action in war won by grenades, during WWI in 1915. It happened during an attack on the Hohenzollem Redoudt on the Western Front, and was won thanks to the "bowling arm" of one Second Lieutenant Fleming-Sandes

In 1987 an Australian judge rejected the British government's plea to extend the ban on former spy Peter Wright'sbook, Spycatcher, which had been blocked from publication

The first broadcast by BBC Radio's new "Third Programme", later to become Radio 3, wnet out today in 1946.

In 1714, a 54-year old German arrived in Greenwich to assume the British throne, as King George I. (How many of you {Brit or toherwise} knew our Royals were, in fact, of German descent?!)

DM

Steph 09-29-2003 03:11 PM

I'm a history major so I do like reading them :)

On Sept. 29, 1957, The New York Giants played their last game at the Polo Grounds, losing to the Pittsburgh Pirates 9-1. The Giants moved to San Francisco for the next season.

Steph 09-30-2003 11:30 AM

On Sept. 30, 1938, British and French leaders agreed to allow Nazi Germany to occupy sections of the Sudeten region of Czechoslovakia.

dm383 09-30-2003 03:37 PM

September 30th

Actor River Phoenix died today in 1993 after ingesting a mixture of Heroin, Cocaine, Diazepam, Marijuana and...... Cold medication!

This day in 1982, the TV comedy Cheersbegan an 11-year run, lasting until 19th August 1993

In 1980 Israel issued a new currency to its population; the Shekel replaced the pound, which dated from the British mandate.

Fitzroy James Henry Somerset, Baron Raglan, born this day in 1788, lost his arm in battle and thereby gave his name to a design of sleeve.

dm383 10-01-2003 03:28 PM

October 1st

In 1957, American B-52 bombers begin round-the-clock flying in case of Rusian nuclear attack

The legendary footballer Pele played his last game, for New York Cosmos against his former Brazilian team Santos, in 1977. Throughout his career he scored 1,281 goals in 1,363 games.

The city of Leningrad officially reverted to its original name, St. Petersburg, today in 1991.

RAC (Brit equivalent to AAA) patrolman Mervyn Jacobs was called out to "jump-start" a Royal Navy minesweeper in 1993. It was no problem for him... he just ran a 50-ft lead from his van to the ships engine-room!

darogle 10-01-2003 09:09 PM

More for Oct 1st......

1903 - Baseball's first annual World Series began on this date. Boston of the American League defeated Pittsburgh of the National League five games to three to become the world champions. Jimmy Sebring, a Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder, hit the very first home run in a World Series game. He hit the run off pitcher Cy Young.

1905 - The Julliard School of Music was founded in New York City.

1908 - The Model T automobile was introduced by Henry Ford - it sold for $825.

1943 - After a month-long battle, allied soldiers captured Naples in Italy.

1943 - The International War Crimes Tribunal in Nuremburg sentenced 12 Nazi leaders to death.

1949 - The People's Republic of China was formed with Mao Zedong as its head.

1968 - The cult horror movie "Night of the Living Dead" had its world premiere in Pittsburgh

1971 - In Orlando, Florida, Walt Disney World opened. Eventually it would become the largest, man-made, tourist attraction in the world.

1974 - The Watergate cover-up trial opened in Washington.

1979 - The Panama Canal Zone was formally handed over to Panama after 70 years of U.S. control.

Steph 10-02-2003 11:32 AM

On Oct. 2, 1967, Thurgood Marshall was sworn in as an associate justice of the United States Supreme Court; he was the first African-American appointed to the nation's highest court.

dm383 10-02-2003 04:55 PM

October 2nd

The first Elastoplast dressings rolled of the production lines today in 1928

In 1972, the normally Euro-sceptic Danes voted by more than two-to-one in a referendum in favour of joining the (then) EEC

The first telescope was demonstrated by Dutch lens maker Hans Lippershey today in 1608

In 1991 Ron Chassidy, who had been jailed for not paying his Poll Tax (and let's not even GO there!! :( ) was released after regulars at his local pub had a whip-round to enable him to play in a vital dominoes match

Steph 10-03-2003 12:04 AM

those vital dominoes matches always save the day!

dm383 10-03-2003 06:01 AM

October 3rd

Lady Coventry died after painting her face with white lead in 1760, making her the first martyr to cosmetics!

Today in 1995, a Los Angeles jury found O.J. Simpson Not Guiltyof killing his ex-wife Nicole, and her friend Ron Goldman

In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln created Thanksgiving Day to commemorate the harvest reaped by the Plymouth colony immigrants in the early 1600's

The Chief of the Hottentots declared war on Germany in 1904, to avoid having to disarm his tribesmen.

Steph 10-03-2003 06:22 AM

On Oct. 3, 1990, West Germany and East Germany ended 45 years of postwar division, declaring the creation of a new unified country.

dm383 10-04-2003 02:29 PM

October 4th

Singer Janis Joplin was found dead in her Hollywood hotel room this day in 1970. Her album immediately went to number 1, and stayed there for four months.

Two Black Hawk helicopters were shot down, and five American soldiers died in a firefight with warlords in Mogadishu, Somalia, in 1993.

Miles Coverdale's translation, the first complete English language Bible, was printed in Zurich and published in 1535

In 1988, Bavarian environment minister Alfred Dick (yes, honestly!!) politely asked people to refrain from yodelling in the Alps, as it was scaring the Chamois and driving away Golden Eagles!!!

PantyFanatic 10-04-2003 10:58 PM

London- 3 October 1660

With the projected foundation of the Royal African Company by Prince Rupert and the equipping of an expedition to wrest control of Gambia from foreigners, England’s invisible earnings will be given a sharp boost. It is Prince Rupert’s ambition for England to become the world’s leading slave trading nation. The diarist Samuel Pepys, however, offered a share in the venture, politely declined.

Steph 10-04-2003 11:54 PM

DALAI LAMA WINS PEACE PRIZE:
Oct. 5, 1989

The Dalai Lama, the exiled religious and political leader of Tibet, is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his nonviolent campaign to end the Chinese domination of Tibet.

PantyFanatic 10-05-2003 12:15 AM

Maybe I better not.

I’ve been following this thread for so long….. I thought it was time I contributed. Then I posted for the wrong day.:o (for god sake, don’t tell Steph. She busts my chops enough as is.:rolleyes: )

Germany- 5 October 1056
The German Emperor Henry III dies at Pfalz Bodfeld. As his son, Henry IV, is aged only six, the empress, Agnes of Poitou, becomes regent.

dm383 10-05-2003 04:21 AM

October 5th

In 1995, a gang breaking-in to a fireworks factory in Kent, England, used an oxyacetylene torch which ignited tons of fireworks...... the resultant explosion demolished the factory, AND the robbers!! Signs all over saying "NO Naked Flame" .... go figure, huh? :)

In 2000 oppostion protestors stormed the Yugoslav parliament building in Belgrade, and proclaimed Vojislav Kostunica the new President in place of Slobodan Milosevic.

Monty Python's Flying Circus featuring John Cleese, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Terry Gilliam, Graham Chapman and Terry Jones, premiered on BBC TV today in 1969.

A fire-engine answering an emergency call in Dublin in 1991, had to be rescued itself when it caught fire because of a wiring fault!! Only in Ireland! ;)

PF..... I won't tell Steph..... you're secret's safe with me!! :)

Steph 10-05-2003 10:40 AM

On Oct. 5, 1947, in the first televised White House address, President Truman asked Americans to refrain from eating meat on Tuesdays and poultry on Thursdays to help stockpile grain for starving people in Europe.