Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shout Box Thread (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21215)

WildIrish 04-12-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksbro
Say, PF, could we instead of calling this a shout box, call it a "SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN A LITTLE ABOVE AVERAGE" box? :shrug:

How about a grumble box?

gigi 04-12-2013 01:23 PM

ahem

*pulling up a small box to stand on*

So I went today to get my IUD. My regular gyno wasn't available to insert it. So another doctor in the practice did. Now, the entire process was virtually painless. I know it's not for everyone but early in the game it's working out well for me. So the doctor that was assigned to me comes in.....she sits down and starts asking general questions. Fine...fine. And then it goes like this:

Her: Are you sure you know what this means?

Me: Yes I do.

Her: It means you can't have a baby.

Me: lifting an eyebrow Yes I know.

Her: You aren't getting any younger.

Me: Excuse me?

Her: I simply mean this could be the last opportunity to have the baby you always wanted.

Me: seething I know what this means. I am aware. I will sign what you need.

Her: As long as you know this could be your last chance.

I don't judge anybody or their choices. WHY is my not wanting to have a child considered an awful thing??? I love other people's children but I have never wanted one of my own. And this doctor is not the only one who has ever voiced this opinion to me. I am 40 fucking years old. Clearly by now I know my own mind.

whew.

*stepping down*

jseal 04-12-2013 04:06 PM

Old prejudices die hard.

Lord Snow 04-12-2013 05:29 PM

I know medically as a woman ages getting pregnant can lead to more complications with the pregnancy and some of those can lead to severe problems or in some cases death. From what I understand at 40 it is not in your best interest to have a child because of this. My information may be a bit dated though. That particular doctor's actions were deplorable.

gigi 04-12-2013 10:23 PM

Your info isn't dated, really. It's not impossible to get pregnant at 40 or above but haven't heard it being encouraged.

She pissed me off. Enough to storm "the hut" and toss furniture.

Oldfart 04-13-2013 01:02 AM

Now dearie, sit here on the office stool while I dig out this crayon colouring book called "You and your Fertility Choices".

Lord Snow 04-13-2013 02:40 AM

Gigi, I'm well aware of the possibilities of a woman in her late 30's-40's getting pregnant, but wasn't sure if the miracles of medical science had made it any safer. You just confirmed that it hasn't.

Just remember if you break it you buy it..........that goes for us Pixie guys as well as the furniture ;)

dicksbro 04-13-2013 05:38 AM

Gigi, don't let her get to you. I suspect she was just trying to advise and wasn't making a moral judgment. (I know, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.)

But, in any case, it's not for her or anyone to make judgments. Decisions like that are yours and yours alone.

By the way, my wife conceived our youngest when she was 42, so, it does happen.

gigi 04-13-2013 06:46 AM

Yes it does happen. What I didn't know is that after 35 it is called a geriatric pregnancy by the medical world. One of my friends said she would knock her doctor out if he said it to her again.

Maybe she was trying to advise. But she made the assumption that I wanted a baby at all. That is what bothered me most...

jseal 04-13-2013 06:53 AM

“geriatric pregnancy”? That’s an interesting, if somewhat insensitive term. I wonder what the bell curve for this looks like?

WildIrish 04-15-2013 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseal
“geriatric pregnancy”? That’s an interesting, if somewhat insensitive term. I wonder what the bell curve for this looks like?

I imagine it looks something like this.

jseal 04-15-2013 04:36 PM

Seek and Ye shall Find. :)

sodaklostsoul 04-29-2013 03:57 PM

Anyone heard from PF? I got some damn monkeys for him and he no answer PM.

dicksbro 05-01-2013 05:54 PM

Just talked to him today and saw some posts from him today, also. I think he's just busy.

Darn, I should have asked about the monkeys but it slipped my mind. :(

Oldfart 05-01-2013 07:24 PM

I re-read gigi's post on her doctor's attitude, and I realised that it was just an anti-litigation ploy in case she decided to have that kid she always wanted, couldn't, and decided to sue the quack who implanted the IUD. Or she was a lifist asshole.