Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   Personals (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Health update (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35101)

Oldfart 11-15-2010 07:58 PM

Tough call.

My brother had a fusion 20 years ago, and has not been quite 100% since, but it's a lot better than the pain he was in.

shadowsfate 11-15-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
Tough call.

My brother had a fusion 20 years ago, and has not been quite 100% since, but it's a lot better than the pain he was in.

Yeah, the surgeon said that I would probably about 2/3 of what I was before my back went out this time, but since I can't really do much of anything for very long, I figure that's good enough. But we'll see, in just under 2 months

Lord Snow 11-15-2010 10:57 PM

My mother had her lower back fused a few months ago. While at first she was sore and very tired, she was for the most pain free. However, the pain has started coming back gradually. From what I understand from listening to her, it's a 50/50 shot as to whether or not it cures your problem.

shadowsfate 11-16-2010 05:29 AM

yeah, the surgeon mentioned that too, but considering that most days I very quickly get to a point where I can't do much at all (including walking without a cane), I'm almost ready top take the 50/50 shot.

Lord Snow 11-16-2010 10:49 AM

My mother's original problem was basically and internal blister on her spine which put pressure on her spinal cord causing intense pain. She had that surgically removed, but then started having other back pain ending with her having her lower back fused. Unfortunately because of the fusion the discs that are just above and below the fusion have started to squish. If you do decide to get it done, I wish you the best of luck.

gekkogecko 11-16-2010 11:04 AM

What you really need, SF is a couple of these: http://tinyurl.com/2a7n7hr .

shadowsfate 01-07-2011 10:26 AM

3 days away from my surgeon visit with nerve induction tests (to help pinpoint the problem) and right now the weather is sounding like I may have to reschedule, which sucks since I'm getting tired of this not able to do much crap. And this is after spending several hours in the Emergency Room on New Year's Day due to the extreme amount of pain I'm in. The only good thing about the ER visit is the fact that the attending doctor gave me a prescription for painkillers, so that I (hopefully) won't have to go back in to the ER before a decision is made on what to do for my back.

gekkogecko 01-08-2011 01:44 PM

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

shadowsfate 01-10-2011 07:45 AM

It started snowing yesterday afternoon, and was still snowing when I got up this morning, so my ride cancelled and I won't be going to my doctor's appointment today, unfortunately. And it will be at least a week before my ride can take me (I can drive, but the limit on how far I can drive before it's too much for my back is about 1/2 hour, the neurosurgeon is 1 1/2 hours away, so I have to have a ride), and who knows how long before the doctor can fit me in

shadowsfate 01-11-2011 10:19 AM

Ok, got everything rescheduled, now I have to wait til Feb. 10th, another month of this not knowing crap. Hopefully the weather cooperates this time

gekkogecko 01-11-2011 11:43 AM

...and meanwhile, you just get to sit around and hurt.

*(&#*($&#^&#$*%(R**#Q&$*#%#&_$&#*($U*@#&$*

shadowsfate 01-11-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkogecko
...and meanwhile, you just get to sit around and hurt.

*(&#*($&#^&#$*%(R**#Q&$*#%#&_$&#*($U*@#&$*

Either hurt or be in a pain killer haze. And when my small supply of pain killers runs out, I'll probably go and talk to my family doctor, just as soon not have to go to the ER again, though the Demarol shot did give me better sleep than I usually get :rofl:

But, truthfully, I've been in constant pain ever since the back first went out in 2002, but my pain tolerance went way up because of that. It's just now, that amount of pain that I get to "enjoy" is way higher than my tolerance

dicksbro 01-16-2011 04:05 AM

I'm a little surprised if the doctor is aware of your condition that he won't go ahead and at least prescribe enough pain killers to get you through until your visit. Did you ask?

shadowsfate 01-16-2011 09:51 AM

I actually have an appointment with my family doctor on Tuesday to discuss that, so hopefully he will. But considering what the ER doctor did, and the fact that a copy of that visit was forwarded to my family doctor, chances are I'll probably be given something

gekkogecko 01-16-2011 11:13 AM

It's still a Catch-22. And that sucks.