Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Update from the road to recovery... (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36439)

ShadowDancer 07-13-2013 06:59 AM

Update from the road to recovery...

Well...as some of you know, my husband had a bad car accident a little over a week ago. The only major injury he received was a burst fracture to his L1 vertebrae. He underwent back surgery the morning after the accident to remove the debris from his spinal cord and have steel rods & screws put in his back. After a day or two in the ICU, he stayed in intermediate care for 4.5 days, and then was transferred to an inpatient rehab facility. As of Thursday's first evaluation, he is looking at a tentative 6 wks of Physical Therapy. That's gonna be a lot of back & forth for me...and shuffling of the kidlets. But we're hopeful & all we can do is take it one day at a time. Healing thoughts & prayers (or whatever it is you do) are greatly appreciated!

jseal 07-13-2013 09:54 AM

Hang in there! You two will be back in bed, making out like teengers before you know it!

gekkogecko 07-13-2013 10:19 AM

Ug. But thank you for the update. (sympathetic head bobs) from the lizard.

ShadowDancer 07-13-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseal
Hang in there! You two will be back in bed, making out like teengers before you know it!

I sincerely hope so jseal!

ShadowDancer 07-16-2013 10:46 PM

!!!Another Update!!!

He walked a few steps!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cabbagep:

Yesterday they put him on the parallel bars and he took a few tentative steps. Then by afternoon, he took a couple more using a walker and lots of help.
This morning, he walked 15 ft down a hallway with a walker and assistance from one of the therapists. Another therapist used my husband's cell phone and took video for us (about 2.5 mins worth) and my husband uploaded it to FB after his morning session. I saw it and cried tears of unadulterated JOY!
He said, when we were visiting with him this evening (I go EVERY day to see him & am spending the weekend with him at the hospital) that during his last hour of therapy for the day, he, again, got up with the walker and walked about 21.5 feet. The goal is to get up to around 105 ft, as that's one lap around the therapy gym.
Then he used the walker in his room (while the nurse & CNA stood over him) and got himself from his hosp bed to the bathroom and into his shower chair to take the first NON BED bath he's had in 2 weeks! He is not allowed to use the walker unassisted or unsupervised as he's still considered a fall risk. But this is GOOD news!!
Now, if he can get the rest of the muscle memory back and be able to flex his right ankle properly and then be able to come off his catheter we'll be even better!

But I still think the assisted walking is AWESOME! :heartbeat I'm so damn proud of him!! :heartbeat

:line:

Teddy Bear 07-16-2013 11:14 PM

Sounds like he's making good progress. That's so great!! Every step is a cause for cheers!! And with you as head cheerleader he's a lucky man.

Keeping you both in thought and prayers.

jseal 07-17-2013 04:30 AM

:thumb:

dicksbro 07-17-2013 05:53 AM

Sounds like great news, ShadowDancer! Prayers will continue until he's back to 100%!

ShadowDancer 07-17-2013 05:59 AM

Thanks dicksbro, Teddy Bear & GG.

Lord Snow 07-17-2013 07:42 AM

There is a reason slow and steady wins the race. Best to keep going just like he is a little at a time, and he'll get there. Biggest problem with anyone in physio is when they get impatient they go to far to fast and end up setting themselves back.

gekkogecko 07-17-2013 08:28 AM

Excellent progress; tell him to keep up the good work (though like LS says, patience is good).

Lilith 07-17-2013 09:20 AM

So glad to hear he is progressing! I am sure glad he has you for support! Make sure you are getting support some where too!

Cyberdude26 07-18-2013 12:44 AM

Prayers and best wishes for his speedy recovery.

ShadowDancer 07-18-2013 10:01 PM

another...

He walked 40ft two separate times yesterday...20ft of it was unassisted by the therapist (the therapist wasn't hovering over him and hanging onto the walker). Today it was 56 ft! They also had him go up and down a set of like 3-5 steps w/o his walker and just using the hand rails. Then he had to get in and out of a "car" that is in the therapy gym. They are surprised by his progress in just a week. He is set for 5 more weeks now, pending weekly approval from our insurance. I will be spending tomorrow night and Saturday night there with him and so, I will only be able to access Pixies from my phone since this isn't an "approved" website by their wifi...(if they only knew of the therapeutic benefits of this place, right?!? LOL)

I'm definitely his biggest supporter (well maybe other than his mother and our kids)...and keep telling him on a daily basis to Do It Big and Git-R-Done!! (but safely!!)

gekkogecko 07-18-2013 10:06 PM

Woo, and also, hoo!