Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advice (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What would you have done? (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20431)

Lilith 05-19-2004 06:50 AM

What would you have done?

A couple days ago driving through my neighborhood I saw a young dark haired shaggy headed boy sitting up on his roof. I know I had to do a double-take.

So yesterday as I was coming home with my kiddo, who attends a different school than we are assigned to, I had to stop for the bus to let off the neighborhood middle-schoolers. By the time the bus pulled away I could see 2 boys jumping on roof-boy. His papers etc were tossed into the street but he was holding his own.

What would you have done? Anything? Nothing?

darogle 05-19-2004 07:16 AM

I would have stopped and broken it up. After that, who knows...depends on the circumstances. I might have considered a talk to the parents of the kid...find out why the hell he was up on the roof.

having_fun 05-19-2004 07:33 AM

I would have stopped the fight. If you don't you send a bad message to your own children, "Don't get involved". Plus, think about if it were your son in a fight, two on one. Would you want someone to stop it?

WildIrish 05-19-2004 07:41 AM

I would've called the cops and broken it up, then sat there with the three of them until someone showed up.

What they realize that two isn't enough and bring a third guy next time & I'm not around? A visit from the police might help adjust their attitudes.

Gilly 05-19-2004 07:53 AM

I would've honked a few times before getting out and telling them to get lost.

The police might help, too, but it can take a long time for them to get around to something as small as a fight. Also, there are still some people who don't have a cell phone surgically implanted. ;)

*edited to add:

Also, find out from all 3 kids where they live, and talk to each of their parents.

Cobalt 05-19-2004 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WildIrish
I would've called the cops and broken it up, then sat there with the three of them until someone showed up.

What they realize that two isn't enough and bring a third guy next time & I'm not around? A visit from the police might help adjust their attitudes.

Would have done about the same!

osuche 05-19-2004 08:25 AM

Yep, me too -- I firmly believe that the world would be a better place if more peoplegot involved. Although one might not get a sunny reception from the families...at least, don't expect one.

PantyFanatic 05-19-2004 08:37 AM

Until I found out any more facts,........ I'd start with WI and Cobalt's approach.

WildIrish 05-19-2004 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PantyFanatic
Until I found out any more facts,........ I'd start with WI and Cobalt's approach.

You may wanna take the panties off your head, PF.

PantyFanatic 05-19-2004 09:03 AM

:eek:

Then the hell with it!

Cheyanne 05-19-2004 09:48 AM

My first instinct would be to stop the fight if I were able....however, being around kids all day (middle school age to high school) I can understand Lilith's question of hesitation.

1 - Had I stopped a fight now, what would happen to the kid at a later date when I wasn't there? Sometimes (as Lilith said - the kid was holding his own) letting the fight run its course may convince the other kids to leave him alone in the future.

2 - At school, we aren't allowed to stop a fight. I know that this sounds terrible, but we aren't the only school system that has this rule. Yes, people - it has come down to liability issues...sucks but true. We had a teacher that waded into a fight and the parents of the boy who started the fight was injured (by whom we don't know) and they sued the teacher...said the teacher injured the boy.

That being said, I would have probably stopped my car and got out of it and tried to stop the fight. I would have gotten names and called parents after that....

flutelady 05-19-2004 09:56 AM

I would have stopped the fight, too. No question about it. I would have talked to the beatee and found out his name and then I'd call the school the next day and make an issue about it. I'd then follow up with the school.

Earlier this year, my son was walking home from school and an older boy from his school started bothering him. It ended up with the older boy tripping my son, who then landed on his face, messing up his glasses among other things. I called the school and made a stink. The older boy got suspended and I got reimbursed for the glasses. Our schools don't put up with any crap, and that includes as the students are on their way to and from school.

Lilith 05-19-2004 11:21 AM

btw....I stopped the fight ;)

I just parked my car and stared them down, right there and then, middle of the road. Problem was when they let the kid up he went after them. So I backed my car up and followed him just making eye contact with him the whole way. He stopped eventually. Tough baby.

After the kids all dispersed I drove off, but didn't go home. I drove around the block and came back by to make sure it was really over, for now.

Not really sure where all the kids live. These were kids that live near me but not directly in my neighborhood. So although I made no permanent difference maybe they will think twice tomorrow. Oh and I saw an older gentleman come out of his place so maybe he'll keep an eye out too.

Lilith 05-19-2004 11:38 AM

Oh and Chey~ my most fave principal here in town, broke a girl's arm when she pulled away from him as he was busting up a fight she started and he got removed and sent to desk duty for the district.

flutelady 05-19-2004 11:41 AM

Even if that boy was "holding his own", it's still chickenshit for those two others to gang up on him. Even though they might all beat the crap out of each other tomorrow, at least they didn't yesterday.

To not have done something because "it'll happen again", is alot like not doing anything when a toddler is in the street, because it'll happen again.