Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advice (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Renovation (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25084)

Lilith 05-17-2005 11:45 PM

Renovation

Has any one ever looked into adding a second floor to their house? I have not been able to dig up very much info online. I found an old artcle from 2002 that estimated it at between $100 and $150 per sq foot. Does any one have any info, advice or ideas of where I should start to try to look into this as a possibility?

scotzoidman 05-18-2005 12:22 AM

Definitely take a hard look at your neighborhood...make sure you're not gonna over-develop your property beyond what your surrondings, you could easily find you've invested far more than what you could ever get back out of it...

Lilith 05-18-2005 06:10 AM

There are 2 story houses in my neighborhood just not on my side of the street. It would only be a small addition, to allow for a master suite. Lots of people have added out on their homes but that is not possible due to the lack of level space. The house is currently situated in the middle of a steep hill. It's brick 4 sides and so there really are not any good addition options besides up. Currently I'm sitting pretty equity-wise so if the cost is reasonable it may make it an option.

wyndhy 05-18-2005 09:51 AM

i'd bet that the price of that /sq foot has doubled at least. the cost of lumber is skyrocketing.

we've never done it, but the first thing i'd think to do would be to get yourself a good, reliable contractor and architect. maybe even a surveyor...perhaps it would be cheaper to level out some ground and add out then it would be to add up.

Lilith 05-18-2005 10:20 AM

You might be right...I'm probably just dreaming. I'm tired of sharing the bathroom with boys.

Aqua 05-18-2005 10:28 AM

You can share my bathroom Lil... ;)

This is actually something I've wondered about for my own house, but I think we'd have an easier time going out than up... and thankfully, we have the space.

WildIrish 05-18-2005 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua
You can share my bathroom Lil... ;)

I suppose this means I have to move my stuff now? :mad:

Aqua 05-18-2005 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIrish
I suppose this means I have to move my stuff now? :mad:

Just a little to the side... ;)

WildIrish 05-18-2005 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua
Just a little to the side... ;)

Let me guess...

outside, that is! :grin:

sad_sam 05-18-2005 06:27 PM

Adding A Floor

Before you even contemplate this renovation I would have a structual engineer look at my existing structure to see how feasable it is. It may be much more costly than you think to meet code. A lot of builders will tell you one thing but when the inspector show up his modifacations won't pass building code. You have to consider plumming, wiring, structure, air conditionng and your sanity as well as what your budget can stand. I am not wanting to put a dampner on things, I just don't want to see you get burned and taken for a bunch of money.

Lilith 05-18-2005 07:46 PM

Thanks Sam...I am just starting to ask questions but it might be easier to just move :p

wyndhy 05-18-2005 07:49 PM

what about just adding another bathroom instead of a whole other floor

Lilith 05-18-2005 07:58 PM

We really need another room too, to be able to stay in this house. I love this house and my neighborhood and my owls We could add a shower to the 1/2 bath but we could make some improvements. I just have to figure out how. The garage is already converted to a den/tv room, we have opened up door ways to try to make the place have a more spacious feel but I need some privacy. It's hard to have loud freaky deaky sex with your 14 year old 10-15 feet away.:yikes:

wyndhy 05-18-2005 08:02 PM

lmao

an rv in the driveway? :p

wyndhy 05-18-2005 08:02 PM

a tree house?

:D