Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Earthquake!! (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32793)

dicksbro 04-18-2008 06:15 AM

Earthquake!!

About 4:30 we felt an earthquake at our house. The local news station reported that it registered 5.7 and was centered on New Salem, IL. No reported damage in Illinois but, evidently, some damage in Kentucky.

Probably lasted 3-5 seconds and the house really shook. I thought things would start falling off shelves, but, thank heavens, that didn't happen.

Anyone else feel it? Scarecrow, you're in the neighborhood.

jseal 04-18-2008 06:25 AM

dicksbro,

Earthquakes in you section of the woods are a rarity, are they not?

dicksbro 04-18-2008 06:27 AM

Yep, they are. Just did a search on the internet and here's the lastest scoop as they report it ...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/art...=rss-topstories

I noticed they said "West Salem" and that the quake measured 5.4. One of the strongest in a very long time.

---

PS
Just turned on Fox News and they were showing damage to a building in Louisville, KY resulting from the quake. Only showed some damage to one building. Don't know if there was more or not.

IowaMan 04-18-2008 06:54 AM

Can't say I was expecting that to be the first thing I'd read here this morning. :faint:

I didn't feel it here, well it didn't wake me up anyway, but they said on the morning news on one of the Cedar Rapids stations that they felt it and it was reported that it was felt all the way up to South Dakota. :yikes:

wyndhy 04-18-2008 07:32 AM

i heard about this this morning and thought of our pixies out that way.

Scarecrow 04-18-2008 09:59 AM

Yes I felt it at 4:37am, thought I was having a wet dream, but no it was just an earthquake. Its epia center was about 85 miles south of me. It sure shook the dust out of the rafters.

osuche 04-18-2008 11:03 AM

Now I feel an even greater affinity with the midwest :rofl:

Sorry about the late-night earthquake...they're kind of scary when they catch you unaware at night. :x:

Scarecrow 04-18-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche
Now I feel an even greater affinity with the midwest :rofl:

Sorry about the late-night earthquake...they're kind of scary when they catch you unaware at night. :x:

They said it was felt in Cincinnati, Chicago and Des Moines

had a slight(4.7) after shock around 10:15am

PantyFanatic 04-18-2008 03:06 PM

The 5.4 was just under the 6.0 min. for alert messages I get.:banghead: This is indeed a rarity for this area on a human time scale.

Clicking around on the iris site can give you a lot of info.

dicksbro 04-18-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantyFanatic
Clicking around on the iris site can give you a lot of info.

Neat site, PF. Thanks! :thumbs:

scotzoidman 04-19-2008 01:11 AM

I mentioned this in the weather report, not realizing there was a thread just for it.

It was felt as far away as Chicago & Atlanta, according to news reports. As far as being an unusual location, New Salem appears (at least to me) to be not too far from the legendary New Madrid Fault, the midwest's best known & perhaps least understood geological anomally. The New Madrid opened up the ground for miles around several states way back in 1811-12, & created Reelfoot Lake in NW TN (ya can look it up). Casualties at the time were, of course few, due to the lack of population in the early days. Every so often, when the local news shows have nothing else to scare us with, they do reports on what the consequences would be if a trembler of that scale happened again today, with millions of peoploids now living near the confluence of the Ohio & mighty Mississppi. Obviously, quakes in this area are rare (certainly would seem so to those on the Left Coast), but not completely unheard of. It was about 40 years ago when New Madrid last burped hard enough for us to hear in middle Tennessee.

One of wife's co-workers had his gun out looking for a home invader, he was sure he heard someone moving in the hall.

Oldfart 04-19-2008 02:50 AM

Good, get 'em over before we get there.

Scarecrow 04-19-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
Good, get 'em over before we get there.

Don't you want to do a little rock & roll. :)

Oldfart 04-19-2008 06:58 PM

I'd rather the landscape didn't join in.

Teddy Bear 04-19-2008 09:47 PM

lol OF!!!!

It was maybe 2 years ago we were visiting in northern Vermont and there was a small earthquake. It was very unusual to get one way up there!!