Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Where's The BOOT? (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34287)

citrus 08-19-2009 10:38 AM

Where's The BOOT?

:car: Is it in the back end of the car? Is it on my foot?

Where can I find her bonnet? Is it over the engine compartment of her ford? Is it that pretty lace wear on her head shading her eyes from the hot sun?

How many terms are there from culture to culture that have similarities, yet do something quite different than what we thought it would?

When I heard about the spare in the boot, I immediately thought of a very large cowboy boot style shoe with a tire lodged in it! Who'd've thunk that in Britain the "Boot" is the trunk in back of the automobile!

Since we're in the trunk, Does that go in front of the elephant, or in the hold of the steamliner for the ocean voyage?

Oldfart 08-19-2009 06:09 PM

It's not just the Brits who call "the boot" the bit behind the back seats and "the bonnet" at the front.

What I find an increasing worry is that the terms "fender" "mudguard" "Bumper bar" increasingly don't.

Fangtasia 08-19-2009 09:51 PM

Yep Aussies call it a boot & bonnet too...makes perfect sense to me *L*

Scarecrow 08-19-2009 10:17 PM

^^^ yes but you drive on the wrong side of the road also!!! :thumbs:

Oldfart 08-20-2009 12:36 AM

Didn't the American driving position evolve from a convention related to the drawing of a pistol?

We are too civilised to get caught up in that one.

PantyFanatic 08-20-2009 01:35 AM

The verb 'Lift' is something I do to your skirt and the noun is sold at Victory's Secret, not a dame elevator. :banghead:

dicksbro 08-20-2009 02:33 AM

"Ah So" has a rather generic meaning like, "I understand" or "Oh" in Japanese. In the US we use the term "As* Hol*" refering to our appreciation of who was doing the talking. Well, sometimes anyway. :D

JK

Lord Snow 08-20-2009 10:41 AM

OF, I don't know if there is a greater percentage of right handed people than left handed in the world, but if that is the case. You Aussies and Brits are on the correct side of the road for drawing a pistol with your right hand. Though that is one of the reason why police motorcycles over here have the throttle on the left instead of the right. So you can control your speed with a gun in your right hand.

Fangtasia 08-20-2009 08:38 PM

Who cares why we call it what we do really *LOL* We drive on the left side of the road, we call it a boot and a bonnet, and we aint changing any of the above...sooooooooo ;)

Oldfart 08-20-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Snow
OF, I don't know if there is a greater percentage of right handed people than left handed in the world, but if that is the case. You Aussies and Brits are on the correct side of the road for drawing a pistol with your right hand. Though that is one of the reason why police motorcycles over here have the throttle on the left instead of the right. So you can control your speed with a gun in your right hand.

A right hand pistol draw pulls the pistol towards the left. It is hard to draw a pistol and shoot off to the right, you turn your body to make it easier.

Aussie Police don't ride non-standard bikes, as Police are discouraged from firing their pistols "on the run". If a shot is required, offhand is the way to go.

citrus 08-20-2009 09:32 PM

I thought the bonnet is a hood! :doorpeek:

Oldfart 08-20-2009 09:39 PM

Nah, a bonnet's a pretty hat over the engine bay.

Neige 08-20-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangtasia
Who cares why we call it what we do really *LOL* We drive on the left side of the road, we call it a boot and a bonnet, and we aint changing any of the above...sooooooooo ;)

I, on the other, am fascinated with why we call it what we do. Carry on with the stories!

Fangtasia 08-20-2009 10:04 PM

I didnt say to stop adding the stories, just accept that people call & do things that they do...

I cant for the life of me understand the 'feather tick' that PF mentioned to me about one day...I got an image of a Tick covered in feathers, didnt even know they came with feathers *L*

I'm pretty sure a feather tick is the equivalent of our 'Doona' (yep which i then had to explain to PF *L*)

dm383 08-21-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangtasia
I didnt say to stop adding the stories, just accept that people call & do things that they do...

I cant for the life of me understand the 'feather tick' that PF mentioned to me about one day...I got an image of a Tick covered in feathers, didnt even know they came with feathers *L*

I'm pretty sure a feather tick is the equivalent of our 'Doona' (yep which i then had to explain to PF *L*)

:huh:

Being a mere Brit, I have NO clue what either of those things are!!

Of course, the word which has the single most diverse meaning between us and U.S. is "fanny". There, In believe, it's a word for the female posterior, whereas here, it's a word for PUSSY!!! Confuses the Hell out of us simple souls y'know!!

DM