Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Voter ID question (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35759)

Jax 02-12-2012 08:55 AM

Voter ID question

So...here in the great state of MN...we are wrestling with the requirement to use a photo ID to be eligible to vote. Currently you have to have some proof of address (a bill) or possibly just know your name and address once you are registered. Lots of strong opinions for and against.
I'm not clear on the against part. Why is this a big deal to have to prove who you are? But for some it is a shot against liberty, and I'm not understanding. Any thoughts on this?

Lilith 02-12-2012 09:10 AM

In Florida we must possess some form of photo ID to vote. Some would say this is like a voting tax which puts undue pressure on poor residents. The current cost for a valid photo ID is $25 http://www.flhsmv.gov/DHSMVFees.htm In the past many different tactics have been used to exclude the poor or minorities from voting in this country so when you place requirements on voting rights people get nervous.

Lord Snow 02-12-2012 09:32 AM

I think the overall idea is to keep illegal immigrants from voting and to make sure that no one votes twice. They could also be using the driver's license number to help keep track of how many ballets there are supposed to be to help prevent having to recount several times.

jseal 02-12-2012 11:55 AM

Jax - I believe that the Minnesota Voter ID legislation is written to provide free IDs as is the one in Wisconsin.

dicksbro 02-12-2012 12:13 PM

I think the allegations of voter fraud that seem to proliferate after every national if not state and local election warrents some means of verifying the eligibility of an individual to vote in an election. The standard "joke?????" in Illinois are that Chicago encourages people to "Vote Early and Vote Often" and that candidates are always seeking the "Graveyard" vote. For the sake of our Democracy / Republic, I think people should have some assurance that their vote really means something.

Might even work to place a mandatory fine of some huge amount ($100,000 or $1,000,000) if you're caught fraudulently voting, and, possibly a jail term of 5 or 10 years PER illegal vote with no chance for parole (although I'd hate to pay the cost of keeping them in jail).

Oldfart 02-12-2012 07:22 PM

It is essential that for Democratic process to occur, the vote truly reflects the will of the people. (Sounds lovely, doesn't it?)

Votes should be cast once only by people who are legitimately able and never by those who are not.

Facial recognition technology is reaching the point where the face of the votor, their ID and the ID used to get the voting ID can be verified.

The right to vote is withdrawn from some (felons).

Perhaps the focus should be on mobile polling apparatus for those who cannot make it to the booths, the infirm and ill.

PantyFanatic 02-12-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
....Facial recognition technology is reaching the point .....

I believe thumb print data basing is well established and would present a more secure ID than a piece of paper with a pic. That wouldn't cost the voter, but couldn't happen if the ID printing concession belongs to a super PAC member. :shrug:

Oldfart 02-13-2012 01:54 AM

Without referring to an off-station set of data (pic or print), it achieves little in the face of fraudsters.

gekkogecko 02-13-2012 09:37 AM

It's nothing than more or less disguised, depending on the particular state/effort in question, voter suppression. Need I really go into detail how/why ?

jseal 02-13-2012 05:57 PM

Everyone has their opinion.

Lord Snow 02-13-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkogecko
It's nothing than more or less disguised, depending on the particular state/effort in question, voter suppression. Need I really go into detail how/why ?

It also depends on how you look at it. If they were to require a thumbprint, or a valid id/driver's license to vote, and then attach that to the ballet it would ensure a more accurate count of how many people voted and for who. It would also make it so that only legal citizens could vote.

However, it does create one more way for the government to keep tabs on who we vote for, where we vote, put our finger prints on file...........

Oldfart 02-14-2012 08:36 AM

The ballot itself is secret for a reason. Retribution against those who didn't vote for you must be avoided at all cost.

The actual vote is a separate issue to who voted, and how often.

gekkogecko 02-14-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:
The ballot itself is secret for a reason. Retribution against those who didn't vote for you must be avoided at all cost.

As well as retribution against those who in fact, voted at all.

jseal 02-14-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkogecko
Quote:

As well as retribution against those who in fact, voted at all.

Unto each his own. I'm pleased when the candidate I vote for wins the election.:)

Oldfart 02-14-2012 07:54 PM

An interesting news piece from AFP via the Australian ABC speaks to this issue.

More than 1.8 million dead Americans remain listed as active voters, according to a new study which describes the US voter registration system as "plagued with errors and inefficiencies".

The research conducted by the non-partisan Pew Centre on the States also revealed one in every eight voter records contains inaccuracies, and at least 51 million eligible voters are not registered to take part in elections.

The study comes as the United States prepares for presidential and congressional elections in November.

"Voter registration is the gateway to participating in our democracy, but these antiquated, paper-based systems are plagued with errors and inefficiencies," said David Becker, director of election initiatives at Pew.

"These problems waste taxpayer dollars, undermine voter confidence, and fuel partisan disputes over the integrity of our elections."

Of the approximately 24 million incorrect voter registrations across the country, or 13 per cent of the national total, more than 1.8 million of those are for people who are deceased, the centre found.

Another 2.75 million people are registered in more than one state, while about 12 million records contain incorrect addresses.

Some of the errors can be explained by the fact that one in eight Americans moved during the 2008 and 2010 election years - mainly young people and members of the US military.

The 51 million eligible voters who are not registered represent nearly a quarter of all eligible citizens.

The Pew Centre said it was working with state election officials on ways to ensure greater accuracy, including cross-checking voter lists with other data sources such as motor vehicle records and allowing voters to register online to minimise human error.

AFP