View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 11:02 AM

Steph,

I will agree with you and all who call for a more efficient and effective local, state and federal bureaucracy. It is difficult to think why anyone would wish otherwise.

To extrapolate from the observed problems surrounding Hurricane Katrina and conclude that “…the basic function of government is to keep the rich and/or powerful in their positions of wealth & power…” is an intellectual leap too great for someone with my many limitations. Even those with whom I share only a few opinions seem also to demur at such challenging claims (see above).

I also feel that there is a higher probability of real, lifesaving change available through the ballot box than by raising one’s voice to ever higher decibels. The game of politics has always been the goal of politicians; that is their profession. I believe that on this item there is a general consensus. How to refocus their attention to substantive issues seems to be immediate. LixyChick’s proposal that the electorate examine the candidates “before the election…not after the disaster” seems particularly useful to this end. I note concurrence with satisfaction.

The only other useful tool that comes to mind in regards to improving these services is the Court system. The various and sundry government agencies are often bound by law to perform certain duties. The occasional court order can help them remember forgotten commitments. Not being overly active (other than at the ballot box) in matters environmental, I am skating on thin ice here, but I am under the impression the “environmental movement” has found the Federal Bench a useful tool in compelling the EPA to execute Congress’s will, even in the face of Administration resistance. Perhaps gekkogecko may be able to shine additional light on the subject.