Thread: Anonymity
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 12:11 PM

girls_rule,

Many people have different public and private personas. Each may respond to the same stimulus differently. Indeed, it is an unusual individual where the two are a unified whole. An ideal individual perhaps, but unusual for being so. I know that both my wife and I would be uncomfortable if our children saw some of our private behavior. I suspect that that behavior would scandalize our children.

Pixies is a domain within which the operating rules, limits, guidelines are sufficiently different from “the outside world” that what is acceptable here may very well be considered questionable by someone you knew outside of Pixies.

You would, however, have a reasonable position if that someone were to invest the effort to seek out Pixies and discover you here. By definition, you would be sharing interests. Even by the very flexible standards which most people have, it would be hypocritical indeed to criticize someone for being a member of a site you yourself visited.

That reminds me of an old Groucho Marx quip, “I’d never lower myself enough to join a club whose standards were low enough to admit me.”