View Single Post
Old 02-10-2002, 11:24 AM

No offence....

ok...no offence to my American friends and neighbors, but I find that too many Americans don't know enough about our geography to have any idea where things are in Canada.

I spent 6 months in Montana a couple of years ago, and my son went to school there. I spent lots of time at the school volunteering and helping in classrooms. To be honest, I walked away from that experience extremely disappointed in what those kids were taught about us. Their focus was mainly on their own history and geography, and very little was said about Canada...even though we're their largest neighbor, and share the same continent.

Before I left Montana to head back to Canada, I wrote a letter to the school board there, stating my disappointment at the quality of instruction about neighboring countries. This is the reply I received.

"We are sorry that you are not satisfied with the quality of instruction our schools are providing. However, we are fulfilling what the law instructs us to teach our American children."

I truely think that if you want to know more about Canada and any other neighbor, maybe you should talk to your government officials about changing what kids are taught in school...expanding their horizons a little more, to include the history and geography of their neighbors.

As I said before, I definitely don't mean to offend anyone by stating this....I just feel very strongly that American kids are being cheated out of truely learning about a neighbor, and that leads to ignorance as adults.