Thread: The Void
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 11:52 PM

Father and Daughter

Roxanne’s stomach churned as she realized her mother was already home, waiting. She gave her father a brief kiss at the foot of the stairs then, taking them two at a time, she headed for the sanctity of her own room.

She heard the distant voices downstairs and quickly put on a CD. Her heart was pounding and she didn’t know why. She lay back on her gingham covered bed and stared up at the ceiling, her hands linked under her head.

She tried to imagine Betty’s reaction to Frank’s blunt statement. ”I’m filing for divorce.” Would she be shocked, angry, cry even? No, Betty wouldn’t cry. Roxanne had never seen her mother show emotion. Suddenly Roxanne was startled to find she had tears in her own eyes. They’d never been the ideal “happy family” but they had been "a family". Now that would all end.

Roxanne dashed a tear away as it ran down towards her ear. Don’t be such an ass. She told herself impatiently, Dad would be far happier with out the constant threat of Betty suddenly appearing. They both would.

As the music babbled on and the sounds from below quieted, Roxanne fell asleep. The next thing she knew it was almost dark and a soft tap on her door woke her. “Come in.” She called out sleepily.

Frank’s face appeared round the door, he was grinning. “You ok, princess?” he asked

Roxie leaned up on one elbow. “Yes, Dad. I dozed off” Then, cautiously. “How’d it go?”

“Fine, just fine. Your mother’s leaving for Chicago tomorrow – first thing. I thought it might be a nice gesture to take her out for dinner. Whaddya say?”

Roxie slid her tanned legs over the edge of the bed. She thought back over the past days. Wouldn’t her mother see something different, notice the new bond between her and her Dad? “I-I-I’m not so sure, Dad. Do you really think that’s a good idea?”

“Why not?” He smoothed the hair from he face. “ She is your mother, after all. It’ll be fine, you’ll see.”

“Okay.” Roxie took his hand and pressed her lips to his palm. “Okay, Dad.”

Frank chose the restaurant carefully, one of Betty’s favourites. To the casual observer they looked like a nice middle-class couple with their college-age daughter out for a good meal but Roxanne prickled with unease. Betty noticed.

“What’s wrong, Roxanne?” She suddenly asked half way through the meal. “You’ve hardly touched your food and you’re very quiet.” Roxanne looked desperately at her father who finished his mouthful and said.

“ Our brainy daughter is trying to settle on one of a huge number of universities – all clamouring for her to register with them. I guess her mind 's on other things than us “old folk.” Roxanne almost slumped with relief as her mother’s attention switched to Frank.

“….and you look ten years younger, Frank. Those few days at the lake did wonders.”

“Yes. We both enjoyed seeing the old place again, didn’t we Rox?”

Roxanne felt her father’s foot nudge hers under the table. She nodded. “It doesn’t change.” She smiled “I always loved it there.”

“We’ll go back next year, if you like, sweetie.” His foot travelled up her shin.

“You know, Roxanne. That’s the first time you’ve smiled tonight.” Said Betty. “You have such a pretty smile, you shouldn’t be stingy with it.”

Roxanne took he father’s cue. “I guess the business of deciding on college is just getting to me.”

“Well, I’m sure Dad’s told you – we’re going our separate ways. I’m taking a VP position in Minneapolis; you could come with me and attend St Thomas. It has a good reputation.”

Roxanne shifted in her chair uncomfortably and, just as Frank opened his mouth to head Betty off he heard his daughter say assertively.

“Thanks, Mum, but I think I’ve narrowed the choices down. I did look into St Thomas but there are curriculum offered in other Universities more to my liking.”

‘Nuff said, thought Frank beaming at his daughter. To his surprise he felt his penis stirring. She really was something – and he’d made her!

“Dessert?” He said with a bright smile.