Thread: workaolics
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Loungin' Around

As a self-affirmed workaholic....and a dater of another work-aholic....I recommend the following:

1. Set aside "date night" once a week ~ we leave the day of the week flexible cause meetings and such come up, but we always pick a day to celebrate.

2. Communicate ~ he may not know when you are feeling lonely. SOmetimes I need my guy to make a special effort, other times I am just happy doing my own thing.

3. Together time usually does not involve discussion of work, or laptops, or anything else to do with work. Work time is for work, us time is for US

4. Get a hobby, make more friends, hang out with others. His time will likely never be yours completely...but don't just sit around and wait for him to come home. Use your "support system" to make yourself happy even when you are not with him. Value your time together, but also value your time alone. There *are* bennies to dating a work-aholic. You can actually have friends and a LIFE. LMAO -- assuming you aren't a work-aholic too.

5. When all else fails, find a new guy. Likely you won't change him...he may adjust some, but he won't totally change. Those who feel fulfilled by their work -- who love what they do -- and see few boundaries on their time...will always work a lot. Lord knows I will.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney