Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2003, 10:40 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
With last kiss, widow dies at spouse's coffin

CAROL ROBINSON
News staff writer

After 64 years of marriage, Mary Evancho Laborde couldn't bear to let her husband go.

She said that just before she leaned over Raymond Laborde's casket at his funeral this week to kiss him goodbye a final time.

But the sorrow was too much; the 89-year Hueytown woman's heart stopped and she died right there.

On Thursday, Raymond, 88, and Mary were buried together in much the same way they lived - side by side, only inches apart.

"It's almost like a fairytale, a sad fairytale," said the Rev. Jack Hendricks Jr. of First United Methodist Church in Hueytown. "You don't see many people who live together as long as they did that go out together.

"I would say it was God's grace."

Their love story spanned six and half decades, beginning when Raymond first spotted Mary at a Fairfield bakery where she worked. He was immediately smitten, but she was popular and he had to work for her affections. He used to hide in the bushes when she had other dates, friends said, to assess his competition.

But persistence, and charm, won out.

"He was a very romantic person," said niece Pat Evancho. "He didn't mind telling you she was as beautiful as the day they got married."

They were separated only once, when Raymond, who later retired from U.S. Steel, served in the Navy during World War II. Mary gave birth to their only child, John Raymond, while her husband was away.

He was of French descent and attended the Methodist church in Hueytown; she was Czechoslovakian and a member of St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church in Brookside.

Religion was important to both of them and they embraced each other's beliefs, alternating between the two churches every other week.

In their younger days, they enjoyed traveling and spending time with their son and grandchildren, Chris LaBorde and Jennifer Ragsdale.

In recent years, Raymond worked in the yard and fixed broken toys for the neighborhood kids. She kept a meticulous home and cooked three full meals for Raymond each day. They kept to a routine, getting their hair cut on Tuesdays, mopping on Wednesdays and grocery shopping on Thursday.

"It was exactly what a marriage should be," Hendricks said.

On Saturday, Raymond cut the grass and asked for liver for lunch, which Mary obliged. His heart gave out later that day. In the days that followed, Mary tried to remain stoic but her heart, too, finally gave out at Raymond's funeral on Tuesday.

"I believe if she were writing the script, which we don't write the script, she would have chosen to go with him," said the Rev. John Simmons, also of the Methodist church in Hueytown.

The Labordes' granddaughter, Jennifer Ragsdale, said she can see beyond her grief to the blessing.

"They wanted to be together forever," she said, "and they are."

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 08-28-2003, 11:46 PM
Banned

Oh my goodness! What a sweet story! Thanks for posting, Lilith. It's sad they died, of course, but they had a long life together. Very touching.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:44 AM
Just me.

That is a neat story. Isn't true love a wonderful thing to see?

Thanks, Lil.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:45 AM
Bastard of Member

Send a message via Yahoo to skipthisone
It is always nice to see that sometimes those souls do find each other.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:09 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

The family that dies together, uh...
Old 08-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Bouncy Bunny

Awwww... 64 years is a loooong time..

My Stories:One Hot July Allison's Seduction Olivia's Journey
Old 08-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Just want to enjoy life!

Now that is deep love and devotion to there togetherness!

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
E. E. Cummings

My Pictures

Picture requests

As Promised
Old 08-29-2003, 10:13 AM
is not this trim anymore!

My grandparents were married 62 years when my grandfather passed away last year. I can't imagine being with someone that long and then living without them. It must be very hard.

What a sad, yet wonderful story, Lil.

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Southern Belle

Wow. That story gave me chills. Thanks for posting it Lilith.