Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2002, 08:59 AM
Bastard of Member

Send a message via Yahoo to skipthisone
Have an Original Thought!!!!

Lately I have seen just a boat-load (that is just smaller than a shit-load, but bigger than a barrel-load) of movies come out that are remakes of an original. I am all for movies, but I have a problem when they remake or "update" classics. At first this year I was offended with Ocean's 11, COME ON, this was most of the rat pack in the original, how can mess with that. But now last night I went to see Solaris out of some sick facination to see how much George Clooney could screw this up and in my opinion the movie was crap. Please, please if you can get it go out and rent the original 1970's edition made in russia, it is a great movie. Now also these two movies have George CLooney in common, but come on he is eye candy, the guy cannot act his way out of a paper bag, he should go back to making cheap horror flicks.

Ok sorry for the rant, movies are my addiction....ok so a question to all of you have you seen an original movie, something that you just said after you watched, Now that was good, and a great idea???

The last one I sat back and said that was "The Truman Show"...
Old 12-05-2002, 11:28 AM
Southern Belle

I will have to think on that question for a bit.
I just wanted to say the the original Solaris (in Russian) was on TV last night. I can't remember the channel but I remember seeing it on as I was flipping channels.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Donkey
originality is merely the art of concealing your source.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:24 PM
~Big Tease~

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS I swear ive seen that movie like 900000000000 times.. Its on everytime I clean the house, everytime my kid bros are around, evertime im bored, evertime I want something to sing along with.. Its a wonderfull movie, that I cant get enough of.. Im sure its not what you were asking bout but I cant help but rave about that movie...

BTW George CLooney is seksay!!!!! teehee =) *drool..
Old 12-05-2002, 12:32 PM
Cynic Emeritus

Oh STO, I hated the Truman Show.
Oh and there's some Kevin Kline movie coming out where he plays a though-provoking teacher at a boy's prep school in the Northeast. I liked that movie the last time I saw it ... when it was called "Dead Poet's Society."

As for original ideas, there aren't many ... I guess the last good idea that I couldn't predict what was going to happen was "The Sixth Sense."

You know who has original ideas for movies: Lifetime
I have never seen the same formulaic movie on that channel.
I mean how many times can they make the same movie about some (insert adjective here like abusive, alcoholic, addicted, possesive) boyfriend/husband where the girl doesn't see this behavior coming but then is vidicated at the end of the movie.

Talk about going on a Lixy rant. Well it's been a while since I have written a long response.

"Women, you can't live with them ... pass the beer nuts." - Norm Peterson (George Wednt) on Cheers

"Sometimes you just have to say, what the fuck." - Tom Cruise in Risky Business

"It tastes so good. Once it hits your lips." - Frank the Tank in Old School
Old 12-05-2002, 12:51 PM
Creampie Babe

Lightbulb

This is tough for young people like me. There may be older movies like them that I'm not aware of.....But I would have to say:

RESERVOIR DOGS (1992) & PULP FICTION (1994)

At that time, I believe it was the late great Gene Siskel who said a lot of copycat hipster-ganster films will start coming out in the near future as a result of these two Quentin Tarantino films.

Siskel was right.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:17 PM
Pixies Den Mother

Send a message via ICQ to Sugarsprinkles Send a message via MSN to Sugarsprinkles Send a message via Yahoo to Sugarsprinkles
Well Skip, I can't suggest any movie that's outstanding for original thought at the the moment, but I really have to agree with your complaint about remakes. Some other "What the Hell Were They Thinking?" remakes are the updated "Godzilla", "The Mummy", "The Nutty Professor", and "Doctor Doolittle." But please let me embellish on your rant if you don't mind..............
My real pet peeve is Hollywood's mindset of "If they loved ONE movie about.......(insert subject of your own choice like Superheroes or Disasters)..........then they'll LOVE a half dozen more!!! OR....Why can't they think of something NEW instead of turning every old TV show or comic book or cartoon show into a movie???? There are movies out there that just had no business being made.....i.e. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, The Flintstones, The Beverly Hillbillies, Dennis the Menace, and the "Brady Bunch" movies.
Ok...I'm turning the soap box back over to Skip now.........
Dream Date
Just Desserts
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 1
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 2
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 3
RAVISHED!!
My Birthday - A Fantasy
Old 12-05-2002, 02:51 PM
Creampie Babe

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugarsprinkles
My real pet peeve is Hollywood's mindset of "If they loved ONE movie about.......(insert subject of your own choice like Superheroes or Disasters)..........then they'll LOVE a half dozen more!!! OR....Why can't they think of something NEW instead of turning every old TV show or comic book or cartoon show into a movie???? There are movies out there that just had no business being made.....

That's why I mostly watch Indie films---Oh! BEFORE SUNRISE and WAKING LIFE are excellent movies! Like Tarantino's, they are both similar films too. Great idea! Talkfest films about life....Both are directed by Richard Linklater, who is becoming one of my favorite directors.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:01 PM
Wanting More

Enjoyed the twist on reality in Shakespeare in Love...both a humorous and beautiful love story

Old 12-05-2002, 03:10 PM
Failed voyeur*

Send a message via Yahoo to T-S
Quote:
Originally posted by skipthisone

Ok sorry for the rant, movies are my addiction....ok so a question to all of you have you seen an original movie, something that you just said after you watched, Now that was good, and a great idea???

Not new as such but one that springs to mind is Léon with Jean Reno
Old 12-05-2002, 03:31 PM
Jay's Babe

Send a message via Yahoo to Vintage Vixen
Totally mindless raunchy humor...we loved it "Jay and Silent Bob strike back" We rented it for the 2nd time sunday lol.

Old 12-07-2002, 11:23 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Originally I thought this was a thread on original thoughts! Then I realized it originated at the rants of the originator on originality in movies. I originally was gonna post an original thought as to originality. I can see from the original question that I am not all that original in thinking originally that this was about original thoughts.

So I'll keep mine to myself..........as I am sure you all originally thought I should before I started this reply!

Could someone please let me know when they do a re-make of Forrest Gump. That's the last "original" movie I've seen...........as a matter of fact it's the last movie (period) that I've seen!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 12-08-2002, 07:09 PM
Bastard of Member

Send a message via Yahoo to skipthisone
Now that was a lixy rant!!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:11 AM
Muff Diver extrodinare

Send a message via ICQ to Wombat
Totally cheap and nasty but still a cult classic for me is the original Gone in 60 Seconds. That 45 minute car chase is a one of a kind. The remake with Nicholas Cage was very slick and well polished but it was a big let down for my money.

Old 12-09-2002, 09:16 AM
Creampie Babe

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Wombat
Totally cheap and nasty but still a cult classic for me is the original Gone in 60 Seconds. That 45 minute car chase is a one of a kind. The remake with Nicholas Cage was very slick and well polished but it was a big let down for my money.

I have a friend who feels the exact same way about the original GONE IN 60 SECONDS and the remake. He definitely preferred the original.