Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 11:08 PM

Job Hunting

Okay...So I'm fed up...but gainfully employed and valued where I work. But want to move. And frankly, I'm not very good at this sort of thing. I am an engineer at a director/management level. (Bachelor in Eng is only real degree).

What is the best way to find a job? Does anyone have any real life experience with one of the pay job services (Exec U Net)? I had my resume on Monster for awhile and that really didn't do much other than get a lot of head hunters looking for a warm body. I want a good next move...but I am growing weary of work in the meantime. Advice?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:12 PM
~Imaginary lover~

Send a message via MSN to cowgirltease Send a message via Yahoo to cowgirltease
Get out and beat the pavement. We tried the online thing here too for about 6 months and never got a bite. It's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time.
They are always needing engineers at manufacuring plants. Have you tried that?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:00 AM
~getting by~

when you say MOVE - does that mean geographically or just to a new company/position? If you are staying in the same area I would do some research on local recruiters. The smaller local ones, not the ones that are known nationally, they are likely to be more in tune and less likely looking for a warm body to make a quick commission off of. They have a greater reputation to uphold locally. If you are looking for a geographic change.. I'd do some research on the net and see if you can find recruiters that speacialize in your field in different areas of the country.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:15 AM
Loungin' Around

I probably don't have to tell you this....but director-level and C-level jobs go to people who NETWORK. Use your network -- join professional organizations, talk to your lawyer (they're naturally good networkers) and your doctor, and even your tax guy.

Execunet is OK.....Find a local professional organization you can network within if you want to stay local. For instance, we have a Women's Business Assn in Columbus and they have been tremendously helpful to me. (I suspect you would need to find the male equivalent). If you are a manager/diector of technology, might want to re-join your professional association of your engineering discipline. Some chapters of IEEE or AICHE (etc) are active.

http://www.sixfigurejobs.com/
Above is the link to an interesting site -- the job postings are a bit more...distinguished...than Monster. I personally look at the listings to figure out *who* is hiring, then use my network to find a connection within the company. Keep in mind you have to fill out a questionnaire and meet some criteria in order to join this site.

There is a reference book of recruiters, called The Directory Of Executive Recruiters (http://www.kennedyinfo.com/js/der.html), which indexes recruiters by functional expertise, geography, and level of job. Pick 5-6 which fit your criteria and CALL THEM. Have a 5 min conversation about your background and what you're looking for (and practice your "elevator speech" before you call anyone). Ask them if they would like your resume for their database. Don't expect an immediate response -- but tens of jobs pass their desks daily and if you're memorable they will call you. Follow up every 4-6 weeks to make sure they keep you top of mind.

There are two types of recruiters -- contract and contingency. ALWAYS ask a recruiter which he is. Contract works specifically for the company doing the hiring -- and is being paid whether or not they find the right candidate. Contingency negotiates a fee (typically % of your starting salary -- often 20-30%) if the company chooses YOU (the recruiter's candidate) for their position. You get better representation from a contingent recruiter, although they are often of lower professionalism and quality (tend to be newer to their field). Often contingents will take you on as a "client" and will call several companies to market your skills.

OK......I think this is enough to absorb for now. PM me if you want more information. I hope this was helpful.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 03-31-2005, 01:30 AM
Loungin' Around

One more (small) bit of advice. If you are "bored" with your job, it might make sense to step back and spend a bit of time thinking about what would make you really happy in a job.

I've almost made a career of changing careers -- because I honestly haven't spent much time (until recently) thinking about what I really want. Consider all the variables -- such as function, industry, level of involvement (work hours, equity), corporate culture, etc.

Some ideas of references for learning:
* www.assessment.com -- take the MAPP Assessment. The free version gives some interesting feedback, but I highly recommend you invest in the full version
* What Color is Your Parachute -- good book
* Myers Briggs test (MBTI) -- several of them on the web. (sample site -- http://www.typelogic.com/) If you want to interpret your type, I recommend : http://209.15.29.56/myersbriggs/entj.htm
* Look for other career planning and assessment books in the library or bookstore. If you want more titles, I'd be happy to suggest a few.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Last edited by osuche : 03-31-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:39 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
fabulous info osuche!

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 AM
~Imaginary lover~

Send a message via MSN to cowgirltease Send a message via Yahoo to cowgirltease
Dang Osuche! You go girl!
Old 03-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Loungin' Around

Looking for jobs is a hobby of mine. Believe it or not, I enjoy the thrill of the chase. (sick, huh?) I just wish I could settle down in a job that makes me happy. Perhaps I'll have better luck this time around.

I have, of course, had thoughts about becoming a recruiter, or a career coach. Job seeking, interviewing skills, resume writing, etc. are some of my favorite subjects.

If anyone out there is looking, you'll find me more than happy to critique resumes, do mock interviews, help with job seeking ideas, etc. I know a lot about jobs in sales and marketing, and a little about other areas......some of these skills are generalist, of course.

I am happy to help anyone! (cause I like to do this stuff) Just a warning....might find me a bit slow to respond mid-April....as I'll be moving 2300 miles and starting a new job myself.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:03 PM

Thank you.

Thank you for the great information. Osuche, I may take you up on your offer.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:52 AM

'Nother question. I had heard part of working with recruiters and just general job hunting was to not make yourself 'too available'. (i.e. Post on Monster, give your resume to 10 recruiters etc...).

So..IF that is true - and ultimately that approach boils down to being more selective on a job hunt and that a recruiter won't have anything to offer if everyone has you already...Then what about the websites for companies where they ask you to post a resume for their perusa in case anything opens up?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Loungin' Around

IMHO the time for selectivity is when you have multiple job offers in hand. Until that time, barring SERIOUS time constraints, take any marginally interesting interview that comes your way. Use the "marginal" ones for practice, and also use the time to explore what *other* job opportunities might be arising in the company.

There have been several times in my life where I interviewed for a "boring" job like salesperson or marketing leader, and ended up in an interview for a manager/director slot in a more interesting department two weeks later. Good news travels fast, and good people are *found* the right job.

I think you'll hurt yourself if you're too selective too early, and also rob yourself of the opportunity to practice for that "perfect" job that will come open.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:51 PM
~getting by~

I think I'm gonna hire ^^^^ to do my hiring next go round.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Loungin' Around

((((((Maddy))))) ~~ you're pretty well put together yourself, girl. Maybe we should start our own company?

Old 04-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Boobalicious Member

As a long time radio talk show listener, let me recommend Dan Miller's "48 Days to the Work You Love" Its a thorough and helpful workbook that will help you assess where you are, where you want to be and give you the steps to get from point A to point B. Hubby bought it and it totally transformed our life. It sounds like an infomercial don't it? But this time it really did, he doubled his annual income over the past year just by following the guidelines to finding the right job for him in that book.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:54 AM
Just me.

Jax, I know this is your thread and I surely hope you find what you're looking for ... but I've just got to say .... osuche, you are one in a million. What great advice.

Why didn't you run for President?