Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 09:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to rzande1 Send a message via MSN to rzande1 Send a message via Yahoo to rzande1
Legal Advice

Ok I know that this is a strange place to put this thread but I am just going everywhere that I know of. Here is my situeation. When I was in high school I used to run a website that allowed me to learn web development. When I was done I had my dad cancel the service. They told him on the phone it is fine and that everything was cancelled. Now today I received a collection letter saying that I owe them 370.41. This was cancelled over 6 years ago. It says that they will report a negative report on my credit report. This is crazy. It is extortion and blackmail. If there is anyone out there in the field of law or related please let me know what you think. I am sending out a rebutal to tell them that I am fighting it. What do you all think?
Old 10-08-2006, 03:32 AM

Did the collection letter come from the company or from a collection agency?

You can talk to the company, but collection agencies tend to be a tad humourless.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:09 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzande1
When I was done I had my dad cancel the service. They told him on the phone it is fine and that everything was cancelled. Now today I received a collection letter saying that I owe them 370.41.

You (not your dad) should have followed the company's cancellation process or sent a certified letter.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 10-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Gone with the Wind

debts

Sweetie, there are a LOT of questions here.
First, you need to ask them why they haven't contacted you once in the last 6 years.
Are they sure this is the same person? Was it someone whith the sameor similar name?
What proof do they have that you owe this debt? They need to have SOMETHING that proves you owe them a debt.
Also, was there money due when your father cancelled the service, and it never got paid?
Also, if your father controlled the service because you were a minor at the time, you need to tell them that. They can't harass you for a debt your father made when you were a minor.
Also, ask your father about this. He might have some records that would help.
One problem you have is that no lawyer will take this, at least none of the ones I knew in New Orleans would, over this amount of money. You will have to contact a credit counseling service to help if you don't get anywhere with the above. Be VERY careful who you contact. Some are just scams. Call the BBB or your bank and get a referral.

Good luck sweetie.

WW

---Margaret Cho
Old 10-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

Contact your credit reporting agency and tell them that you are disputing the charges.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to rzande1 Send a message via MSN to rzande1 Send a message via Yahoo to rzande1
Well it was in my name but my dad paid for it. There was no outstanding balance. We paid for the year and cancelled before the year was up. We called and cancelled. They said ok everything was finished and completely cancelled. I did find out alot online how to handle these people. First off they are not licensed in my state to collect anything. The company never contacted me and this place is the first i have heard about it. I am sending them a certified letter saying that I am requestion validation of the debt with all the goodies that goes with it. After my research I think I am much better armed with this.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Working Stiff

Sounds like AOHell to me..they tried that same shit with me. Cancelled over the phone then a year later I got a collections letter...I sent them the persons name that I spoke with and their ID # along with the date and time I called...I make sure I get all that stuff anymore.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:03 PM

Well here is the update today. I sent the request for validation letter via fedex with signature. I called the collection agency as well. They have no information on the bill at all just a request to collect LOL. They have nothing on me. I called the web hosting company and told them I got the bill from the collection agency. I had cancelled it when i was in high school and still a minor over 6 years ago. The billing woman said she has to call the collection agency. I told her they told me to call you because they have nothing. Well now the billing woman is talking to the president of the company to figure out what is going on.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:55 AM

Pre Paid Legal

There is a service called pre paid legal. One of the features is unlimited phone consultations with a top attorney. The price is 12-26 bucks a month which can include continuous credit monitoring. If you are interested, there will be a program about on court tv this saturday (9/29) at 11am. You can also contact me if you have any questions. There is also most likely free legal services in your area.
OMEN