Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2003, 05:20 AM
Everybody Stretch!

The Liberty Bell took Liberty....

They moved the Liberty Bell yesterday. It took 4 hours and moved about 1000 ft. to it's new home in Liberty Square. It had been in Independence Hall since 1976. Great pains were taken to move the bell without causing further damage to the crack. A seismologist followed along at the slow pace to track the vibrations. The move caused no further damage and the bell now rests in it's new home.........moved for better viewing and better protection. Just thought I'd let you know!

Now.........I live about 50 miles (give or take) from that damn bell............ya think I'd have had a more personal peek at it by now, huh? Well, it's on my "things to do list"..............

Hey Ian? Wanna see a big bell with a crack in it??? LOL!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 10-10-2003, 05:26 AM
Wishful Thinker

Send a message via ICQ to BigBear57 Send a message via MSN to BigBear57 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBear57
Ummmmm I'd love to see a crack with You Darlin ..... Anytime

Love is not looking in each other's eyes, but looking together in the same direction - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Old 10-10-2003, 08:07 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

I’m glad to hear that all went well with the move of one of our icons of liberity.

I just always wondered why we couldn’t have picked something else to show the world what American Craftsmanship is?

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 10-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Banned

You still haven't seen it, Lixy?

That's the thing - when you move somewere where there are things like that, you feel obligated to go see them. I usually just wait until friends show up as tourists.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:25 AM

Whats the story behind the bell anyway?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:47 PM

No one EVER does the tourist thing in their home towns/regions, I've come to believe. Kind of a shame really. Then again, I come from a town with zero tourist potential...and now live in one that's hip deep in them...so what do I know .
Old 10-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Just me.

I'm glad they were careful moving the crack. :lust:

Is that what you said they did, Lixy?

(Just so you know, you always ring my bell. )
Old 10-10-2003, 01:02 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Shame on you Fairy-Bird. We can’t let the rest of the world see how little we know about our own history.

http://www.ushistory.org/libertybell/

(I found a lot of things I didn’t know in there,)

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 10-10-2003, 05:27 PM
Everybody Stretch!

I'm embarrassed to say....I too, did not know most of what I've just read! TY PF! I'm always up for an education! I've also gotta say.....I've been closer to the Zion Reformed Church in Allentown than I have been to the Liberty Bell. As a matter of fact, I ride past frequently but have never gone in! Hmmmmmmm????? Oh well.....it'd prolly spontaneously combust if I set foot inside!

Bear......ANYTIME!!

Fairy-Bird.....It's quite a read! ^^^^^^^^^

Steph and GingerV....*hangs my head in shame...lol!*

db........*giggle* Just so you know.....you me too!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 10-10-2003, 05:42 PM
<----Snappin' Pussy

The history of the bell was quite interesting.....thanx PF

*~Sharni~*

If you go hunting tigers....be prepared when ya catch one!
Old 10-11-2003, 12:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
It's true that people don't get excited over things that are around
them all the time.People travel miles to see the NE fall foliage.I
have lived in NE most of my life.To me fall is just the time that I
have to pick up the piles of leaves that are raked.Otherwise the
grass will be yellow, in those spots, in the spring.You think of things like that when you have over an acre of grass to cut! Irish
P.S.Reality "bites!"
Old 10-11-2003, 01:39 PM
Lusting Horny Pixie

why the heck did they move it?? for protection? Dang... really sad when we have to protect historical icons... what's next? moving mount rushmore... Okay.. so I am being a smartass... I will admit.. but knowing that they moved the liberty bell to keep it safe iritates me... shouldn't be necessary... sad that it is.

I haven't it.... tho someday I would like to... just don't venture to that part of the country...... yet.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Believe it or not jenna........the bell is a target!

It stands for something that some people do not understand....and others do....oh too well.......FREEDOM!

It was actually attacked by people with hammers not too long ago! Pounding on an inanimate object to make a point!!!?? The point? Who the fuck cares......they took hammers to a friggin bell....a symbol.......in much the same way as the case of 9/11 and the Twin Towers! Sooooooooooo.......they had to move it to make sure that whomever visits it is more protected.

Some people just have no idea who to take their grudge to and so they attack objects instead.....and I guess that makes them feel better! Or better yet.......some people are too big a pussy to take their grudge to an actual animate source for fear of immediate retaliation...and so they attack inanimate objects to make a point and to show their followers.....they DID SOMETHING for their cause!!???

Go figure???????!!!!!!!!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 10-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Quote:
Originally posted by LixyChick
Believe it or not jenna........the bell is a target!

It stands for something that some people do not understand....and others do....oh too well.......FREEDOM!

It was actually attacked by people with hammers not too long ago! Pounding on an inanimate object to make a point!!!?? The point? Who the fuck cares......they took hammers to a friggin bell....a symbol.......in much the same way as the case of 9/11 and the Twin Towers! Sooooooooooo.......they had to move it to make sure that whomever visits it is more protected.

Some people just have no idea who to take their grudge to and so they attack objects instead.....and I guess that makes them feel better! Or better yet.......some people are too big a pussy to take their grudge to an actual animate source for fear of immediate retaliation...and so they attack inanimate objects to make a point and to show their followers.....they DID SOMETHING for their cause!!???

Go figure???????!!!!!!!!

*Please pardon the comparison analogy above....of the towers and the bell. I know their were many lives lost in 9/11...and none in the bell attack..........but the objects attacked were to make a point and so therefore the reason I used the comparison*

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 10-11-2003, 07:10 PM

Remember, 9/11 was not about attacking 4 planes or the passengers therein, but it was about attacking the icons, the symbols of part of America.

Icons and symbols within a society to which you are opposed can cause more damage to a populace than attacking the populace. For instance, suppose rather than piecemeal attacking muslim lands, we just drop a bomb on whats left of Mecca? The act of destroying it means nothing to us but would inflame and hurt millions. The only difference between one culture and another in this case is just how long they remember such things in the forefront of their everyday lives. 9/11 is over, and while we still have a big whole in the ground we've moved on. Were we to destroy such an icon as Mecca, for 1000 years they would remember it every day.

My .02