Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2003, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Talking Opinion??

I don't know all of the details of this.I heard,on the radio,that a man,is suing McDonalds,under the Disabilities discrimination law,
that they didn't hire him because he weighs 420lbs,and he says that it is a disability.I,personally,think that it is a good business
practice.I know that if I was buying a meal & someone with a size
57 waist asked me if I wanted to"super-size"it,I probably would
look at them and say"No Thanks!"Besides,if they can work,how is
it a disability?Your opinion?Like I said,I don't know all of the details! Irish
Old 04-18-2003, 11:07 AM
hellsbells's Stallion

Send a message via Yahoo to horseman12
only my opinion, but No, what exactly would he do? there is limited space in the kitchen area, I am not saying he should'nt work, if he can that is great, but why being that large would you want to work in an enviroment where you are only tempted to eat things that are gonna make you even fatter? MacDonals has taken alot of shit thru the years, and although i do not eat there, because of there buisness practices, I can still understand there viewpoint. If they were to hire him then i guess next he would be trying to sue them because he was eating there food and it was making him fatter.

Life's A Bitch, but I Deal withit!!
Old 04-18-2003, 11:09 AM
~figment of imagination~

My opinion is ........
don't eat McDonalds!!

They have done wonders to the rain forest among other great things. Plus they have helped out tremendously with adolescent/adult obesity.

It is sad to see anyone not being hired based on their looks, religion, or size. Now if they didn't hire this person due to the fact they couldn't operate the fry machine or anything or this nature (due to size) to me is a whole different ball park.

*looks down
Holy Crap how did I find myself on this soapbox.
*steps down
Sorry 'bout that.
~ me! ~
Old 04-18-2003, 11:15 AM
Banned

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I do know I avoid fast food more than ever after reading "Fast Food Nation". I think it's a sad state of affairs for our culture if someone is suing because they don't get a job somewhere.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:28 AM

I don't know the guy's whole situation so I can't pass a judgement on him but I personally hate to see people take advantage of the system. I injured my arm at work and cannot work without serious pain to this day. I was forced to quit my job and could not use the disabilities coverage I had because they think I am faking the injury because they were scammed by someone right before I was injured.. so basically I am left with nothing but pain and I can't get them to take me seriously because of all the &#(@heads who pull scams. It really sucks that those type of people get away with so much and the honest people get screwed (in the bad way).
Old 04-18-2003, 11:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Not only do I consider it as taking advantage of the system,but altho I don't know his age,they said that he was dissapointed
because he had waited a few months to hear the results of his
hiring.My kids are grown& have their own familys now,but when I
was supporting my family,there was no such thing as waiting on a
job.If I wasn't bringing money in,they didn't eat or dress.You can
always quit a currant job,for a better one,but if you're any kind of
person,you don't wait. Irish
P.S.My $.02.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Suprise Me

How can a person who weighs that much stand on their feet for so many hours behind a counter at McDonalds?

Perhaps Micky D's is avoiding a lawsuit by not hiring this guy.... sounds to me they were perhaps concerned for his health plus perhaps a safe working environment. There is only so much room back in the kitchen.

I also wonder due to the fact that he waited so long if this was some sort of a set-up on his part. If he really wanted to work, he would have found another job within the 2 months of his waiting for a reply from McDonalds....

My 2 cents plus I raise you another .02!

Old 04-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Everybody Stretch!

I find it amazing and I praise the guy for trying to get a job....any job. But I agree with McDonalds here........

My husbands uncle weighed 480lbs. at the time of his death....and was housebound for 2 years prior to succombing to obesity. He was one of those peple that you see on talk shows, in that, upon his death the fire company had to extend the rescue ladder into a basement egress window in order to remove his body because he was too large to get up the stairs. He never tried to get out of that basement for the last two years of his life.

It is rather ironic (and coincidental) that this person in question would choose to work at a place that would indeed feed his addiction. I hate that lawyers try, and judges entertain, lawsuits such as this. A company has a right to protect itself, and yet there are personal traits in people that a company cannot discriminate against. This is the typical "rock and hard place".

If they hired him, and he couldn't perform his duties and yet insisted on staying.......he would indeed file a suit, if fired. He'd have Mickey D's by the balls.....and still does, even now. Just the mere fact that this man walked through the door and filled out an application, was the start of something big (pardon the pun).

I know obesity is an addiction....I do not discriminate against large people.......hell, I ain't anorexic....so I can't discriminate or I'd be self deprecating. But, I think McDonalds went with the lesser of two evils in this case. It took so long to tell him no about the job because they were weighing the pros and cons (no pun intended again). In this case, it was all cons from the get go. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. The lesser of the two would be to NOT hire him and take the brunt instead of hiring him and waiting for the other shoe to drop!

I'm NOT saying this guy shouldn't have a job. I'm just saying that I think McDonalds was actually responsible in not hiring him as they know that their food is shitty for the waist-line! They might have actually saved this guy from more agony in the long run, but then they fell on the sword in doing so!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 04-18-2003, 03:31 PM
<----Snappin' Pussy

Quote:
Plus they have helped out tremendously with adolescent/adult obesity.

Quite frankly i find this soooooo wrong.....it is NOT MacDonalds fault that people get fat!!

They do NOT force their patrons to sit and eat there product.....they are not twisting their arm in any fashion..

It is the patrons choice...if they eat it and get fat...well tough shit for them...they live with it!

You dont see people blaming the lolly companies or any other fast food company.....nah lets just pick on poor Maccas

Maccas is very non judgemental when it comes to employing crew members...if they did not employ him...it was for a damn good reason!

And now i'm on this damn soapbox....let me also add

Quote:
but why being that large would you want to work in an enviroment where you are only tempted to eat things that are gonna make you even fatter?

Lets not assume that the overweight man concerned got that way from eating the wrong foods....it is not always the case ya know!

*~Sharni~*

If you go hunting tigers....be prepared when ya catch one!
Old 04-18-2003, 05:36 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharniqua

You dont see people blaming the lolly companies or any other fast food company.....nah lets just pick on poor Maccas

Not necessarily true. There is a lawsuit with Sarah Lee (the cake people that nobody doesn't like). I think, if lawyers try it, and judges entertain the case instead of throwing it out of court........there will ALWAYS be these frivolous cases. What the hell is wrong with judges? Are they bored? I mean, come on........"Oh look at me......I am so (fat, cancer infected, burnt from coffee....etc.....) and I don't understand how this could happen. I deserve a plentiful amount of money so I might contemplate the reason that this happened to me (in the Bahama's, on my yacht)".

Past the age of maturity (18ish or so), one should have to take FULL responsible for his or her life choices and actions and stop blaming others for what they made a choice to do.

And, just a thought Shar.....but....I know that glandular problems and medication can cause one to gain weight (amoung a few reasons), but............your being the devil's advocate here can't quite convince me that McDonald's didn't do the right thing.....regardless of how the man earned his weight. One may call this obesity discrimination........But I say, fat or not....an employer has a right to hire and not hire whomever they please. This could have happened to a really skinny person too. Who's to say (without knowing the full reason for not hiring him) that it was his weight that got a NO? Might have been something else entirely. (Guess this was....point/counterpoint).......I knew I shoulda been on the debate team in school.

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 04-18-2003, 06:12 PM
<----Snappin' Pussy

*whats with the devils advocate comment....i thought we all could add our comments....or do i just go sit in the corner and shut up....again* Well guess what that aint happening *L*

No where in what i posted did i say that Maccas did or didnt do the right thing!! If they employ anyone or not is none of my business...

Bloodyhell if i sued every goddamn company that didnt give me the job i applied for...i'd be a bloody millionaire

I was saying about the weight issue...the assumption that because your fat you should be 'guarded' from working in such places...

1 cake company...out of the thousands of *fat* causing products *L*...how many times has Maccas been dragged into the court room???

I'm fat too....Hmmmmm reckon i've got a case against 'Mars'...'Snickers' Ect..'KFC' and every other fucking thing i ate that i knew i should'nt have *sigh*
It just fucks me off...someone sees an obese person and instantly thinks they eat too much or eat all junk food.....all i was saying was....don't assume anything!!

They provide a service....if i choose to partake of their service to excess....then i am to blame...not them!!

*~Sharni~*

Old 04-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Learning to talk sexy

It's an interesting concept .... but the problem is that he's trying to sue because of an addiction .... I don't think that's covered in the concept of race, religion, sex, etc. .... I don't think anyone would think about it being a problem in not employing an alcoholic or drug addict .... the potential problems for the company are too comprehensive, especially in certain industries, say pharmaceuticals or such .... that's not to say the man should not be able to work, but blaming McDonalds for not hiring him isn't what I'd call a good solution for his problem.

I too have my own weight issues ... but I can't imagine going to McDonalds for a counter job as being my job of choice either and think that a person in this situation may be using this as a means to winning a lawsuit rather than a means to finding a job. Oh well.... LOL .... the soap box is going to cave in if I don't get off of it quick!!!!
Old 04-18-2003, 07:15 PM
<----Snappin' Pussy

Where in the original statement by Irish does it say that the fellow in question has a food addiction???

As far as i can see...all it stated was that he was obese!!

*~Sharni~*

Old 04-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Hot Tongue and Member

Send a message via AIM to don73153 Send a message via Yahoo to don73153
I disagree with him calling his weight problem a 'handicap'.

BTW, it USUALLY takes places like this weeks, even months to have an opening, so a quick call to work is more rare than usual. But to 'wait' on it is just plain lazy. I have NO pity for this guy. NONE
Old 04-18-2003, 07:28 PM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

He is sueing because of disrimnation against his size(hence overweight) which under the USA ADA(Americans with Disability's Act) law the man has the right to work. Which is just like the right a blind man has to bring a seeing eye dog into a room full of people who are allergic to animal dander, although a small percentage may die.

damn somebody take this soap box....