User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy
I'd gladly drink the tap water if my water didn't stink... yes indeed I've got horrible tap water. I also seem to have horrible water coming out of the filtered spigot on my refrigerator.

I often think that I'm bathing in sewer water that's how bad it smells, I won't dare taste it.

Appealing thoughts, eh?

if it's municipal water, contact the water company for recent test results. they are required to provide them to you. if it's well water, you can have samples tested by the dept. of public health.

sewage usually does not seep into municpal water because sewer lines are supposed to be laid below water lines. seepage of other contaminants can be a real bad problem if there are week spots in the lines. you should contact someone.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
~getting by~

oh i know it's not sewer, but it smells yucky.

I think the refrigerator problem might be a water softner that is plumbed to the cold water.. yucky!

I did search the city website with little luck on the test results, but I will give them a ringy-dingy.

I miss the great tasting and cold tap water I got in the Northeast.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

WRONG!

Quote:
not that anyone will care but i actually do have an opinion on bottled water use.

I am surprised that I am not TOTALLY alone on believing the whole bottled water fad is one of the all time biggest scams ever perpetrated. I never feel more isolated that when the "cool" people all flock to something that just totally flies in the face of intelligence.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
I'm in complete agreement about there being no real difference in the safety & purity of bottled vs. tap water, with one caveat: here in the southeast US, water is notoriously "hard", due to the limestone deposits under our feet built up when this was a shallow prehistoric sea. I guess I'm gonna have to swallow hard & take on the cost of a water filter, or maybe even a softener, just to get my wife to stop spending $$$$$$$$$$ on that damned Dasani water...I've told her everything mentioned here, that it's just tap water in a costly & environmentally unfriendly package, but she knows what she knows & don't try to confuse her with the facts!

As to how we all came to believe this fantasy that the bottlers have sold us, remember the words of Dennis Miller some years back..."'Evian' spelled backwards is 'naive'"...

And PF...for shame, teasing WI with that naughty picture...

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Why are we just now getting this information? Did the bottled water companies stop paying everyone in the know for their silence? I mean really! When did this bottled water craze start and why has it taken so long for the water companies to be outed? This kinda shit pisses me off!

Whew! I feel better for just typing that out loud.

That said, I have well water and we filter and blast it with light several times before it gets to the taps. Even after all of that I hated the idea of drinking "dead bacteria" so I put a filter on the kitchen tap and bought a fridge with a filter in it for the water on the door. AND...I have a Pur filter pitcher I fill for cooking and coffee and pet water.

I've had bottled water before when I was in a pinch. But for the most part I do it myself.

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 04-04-2008, 06:44 AM

There was a well-publicized 1993 outbreak of cryptosporidium (a parasite from animal waste ) in Milwaukee’s water supply. That may be part of the misplaced public concern about the safety of municipal water.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has standards for some 80 contaminants in public drinking water. Additionally, a 1999 Federal law requires local water facilities to send "consumer confidence reports" to their customers. Those who are interested can call the Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 800.426.4791, or you can visit the Web site.

No doubt, I will be pilloried for saying so, but I am skeptical about the advice to drink “at least eight glasses of water each day”. We are all issued a pair of kidneys, and a homeostasis system evolved to keep us healthy. Some people want to drink more and some want to drink less. I wonder why the assumption has been made that for some reason the purchasing public is no longer drinking enough water.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

The main reasons that people do not like to drink tap water is the taste and smell. Most of which is caused by the chemical treatment of the water.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 PM
not just for breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy
I'd gladly drink the tap water if my water didn't stink... yes indeed I've got horrible tap water. I also seem to have horrible water coming out of the filtered spigot on my refrigerator.

I often think that I'm bathing in sewer water that's how bad it smells, I won't dare taste it.

Appealing thoughts, eh?

Maddy, does it smell like rotten eggs? If it does then it might just be....

Hydrogen Sulfide in Groundwater

What is sulfur water?
Sulfur in your well water supply is easily recognized by its offensive odor. Hydrogen sulfide gas causes "rotten-egg" or sulfur water smell. High concentrations can also change the taste of the water. As well as, corrode metals such as iron, steel, copper and brass. Hydrogen sulfide amounts of 0.5 mg/l or more are usually noticed, even in cold water. Wells drilled in shale or sandstone, or near coal or oil fields often have hydrogen sulfide present.Hydrogen sulfide may also be produced when sulfate in well water converts to hydrogen sulfide. Certain non-disease-producing bacteria (sulfur bacteria) use the oxygen in the sulfate to form hydrogen sulfide.

A link for you to read further http://www.wellowner.org/awaterqual...ensulfide.shtml

Not meant to be spam, just trying to inform.

I would first suggest a granular activated carbon filter on your main line coming into the house. If you want you could put them on your fridge, or shower, and sinks individually. It would be the cheapest way to go. The link above will give you some more ideas too.

Hope it helps!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

[QUOTE=scotzoidman]And PF...for shame, teasing WI with that naughty picture...
[QUOTE]

Scotzoid, you misunderstand. The 'something' that PF was referring to that the 'cool people' are flocking to was in fact, WI's place.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Bike Fanatic

I too have to admit to buying a bit too much bottled water
I limit myself to one 1.5 L per week, and reuse bottles a bit before I make sure to recycle them...
I also do buy the occasional bottle on the road, but I recycle 95%
I have finally bought myself a refillable washable bottle for my drinking water
I have been using a brita bottle for years and am now used to the taste
Though montreal has great water
I now find the taste so so after years of filtering, so i will continue to filter mine
and in the west island (bro and sis's families live there), I find the water really Stinks
I"m guessing sulfurous water,
got to go read that link...
Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
~getting by~

I think I found my problem... whoo hoo... now just to figure out how to fix it... I have a water softener that I'm not sure is doing what its supposed to. When I open up the salt reservoir, it smells A LOT like my nasty water.