Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Sex Talk
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Lost without a compass.

Send a message via Yahoo to Mercury_Maniac
interesting article

Semen makes you happy. That's the remarkable conclusion of a study comparing women whose partners wear condoms with those whose partners don't.

The study, which is bound to provoke controversy, showed that the women who were directly exposed to semen were less depressed. The researchers think this is because mood-altering hormones in semen are absorbed through the vagina. They say they have ruled out other explanations.

"I want to make it clear that we are not advocating that people abstain from using condoms," says Gordon Gallup, the psychologist at the State University of New York who led the team. "Clearly an unwanted pregnancy or a sexually transmitted disease would more than offset any advantageous psychological effects of semen."
Suicide attempts

His team divided 293 female students into groups depending on how often their partners wore condoms, and assessed their happiness using the Beck Depression Inventory, a standard questionnaire for assessing mood. People who score over 17 are considered moderately depressed.

The team found that women whose partners never used condoms scored 8 on average, those who sometimes used them scored 10.5, those who usually used them scored 15 and those who always used them scored 11.3. Women who weren't having sex at all scored 13.5.

What's more, the longer the interval since they last had sex, the more depressed the women who never or sometimes used condoms got. But the time since the last sexual encounter made no difference to the mood of women who usually or always used condoms.

The team also found that depressive symptoms and suicide attempts were more common among women who used condoms regularly compared with those who didn't. The results will appear in the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior.

And Gallup told New Scientist that his team already has unpublished data from a larger group of 700 women confirming these findings. In this study, the always-use-condoms group were more depressed than the usually-use-condoms group, suggesting the discrepancy in the smaller study was a sampling error, he says.
Alternative explanations

But is it really the semen that affects women's mood? The researchers say they looked at alternative explanations such as whether women who seldom use condoms took oral contraceptives, how often they had sex, the strength of relationships, and the possibility that having a certain type of personality influenced the decision to use condoms. But none of these factors can explain their findings, they say.

In fact, the results aren't a complete surprise because semen does contain several mood-altering hormones, including testosterone, oestrogen, follicle-stimulating hormone, luteinising hormone, prolactin and several different prostaglandins. Some of these have been detected in a women's blood within hours of exposure to semen.

The question many people will ask is whether oral sex could have the same mood-enhancing effects. "Since the steroids in birth control pills survive the digestion process, I would assume that the same holds true for at least some of the chemicals in semen," Gallup says.

"I understand that among some gay males who have anal intercourse, it is not uncommon to attempt to retain the semen for extended periods of time," he adds. "Suggesting, of course, that there may be psychological effects." But further research will be needed to confirm whether exposure to semen through oral or anal sex really does affect mood in heterosexual or homosexual partners.

But why should semen have such an effect? "It makes no sense to me for this phenomenon to have evolved," says Satoshi Kanazawa, an evolutionary psychologist at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. But Gallup counters that men whose semen promotes long-term mood enhancement might have more chances to indulge in sexual activity.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn2457
Old 09-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Just want to enjoy life!

And people just think I am silly or stupid when I say sex is a cure all for most everything. Just goes to prove anouther piont that my thinking is worth merit.

:cents: .................................... :grin:

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
E. E. Cummings

My Pictures

Picture requests

As Promised
Old 09-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Sweet Southern Girl

my first thought was.... this is just a group of guys trying to get out of having to wear condoms, hehe. I wonder if the couples who never or rarely use condoms are closer (more intimacy, more trust, etc.) and that might be an explanation for the womans increased happiness. Just a thought

It's just human. We all have the jungle inside of us. We all have wants and needs and desires, strange as they may seem. If you stop to think about it, we're all pretty creative, cooking up all these fantasies. it's like a kind of poetry. Diane Frolov

How to get an "A"
I Love Guys With Accents
Nurse ~ Patient Story
Yes Sir
An Old Story of Mine
3 Guys & 1 Girl ~ Sounds like fun right
A New Short Story
Punishment Story
Old 09-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Banned

LOL nicole!!

I'm certainly happy not using condoms. Since the late 90s I've used them. Before that I was married to someone who had a vasectomy & my current guy does, too. I think they're the two best lovers I've ever had (and the only two I didn't use condoms with). Maybe sperm can solve world peace, too!
Old 09-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Lost without a compass.

Send a message via Yahoo to Mercury_Maniac
well its like they say......Make Love Not War
Old 09-11-2005, 03:01 AM
Likes To Cuddle

Send a message via Yahoo to Syngoodgirl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury_Maniac
well its like they say......Make Love Not War

Yeah, what he said.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Loungin' Around

I think this is a case of correlation vs. causation, but it's amusing nonetheless.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 09-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Raving Pervert

Sounds like we need to test this theory... Can we get a government grant???

Then we need lots of test subjects...

WOOHOO!!! ORGY!!!