business.My oldest daughter(secretary)is the secretary for the
mayor of Dover,N.H.The guy does all of the business for the towns
computers.That's how she met him.They can tell you the reliability
of different brands.Also,which are most dependable. Irish
Old 01-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Everybody Stretch!

You Guys Are So Terrific!

And may I also say........WOW!

I am overwhelmed! Reason? I can understand most...(ok, not most but some) of what is explained here.......and I am making a copy of all of it to pass on to my friend. She'll be as thankful as I am! I'll go over, with her, the parts I do understand and she can ask any geek friends of hers about all the things we feel we missed the mark on.

Did I mention that I think you guys are terrific? Geezzzzzzz!

H@rd Rock......Duly Noted hun! I have a Compaq....and for what I use it for it is terrific! But then.......there are considerations I noted above as well.....and I will take it all under advisement! TY for helping!

Oldfart......Duly Noted as well! And I am sure she will do her homework as to her daughters needs! TY for your help!

kleclere......Yes! I had heard that too! But then again......what do I know? LOL! I'll pass on the advice hun! TY for helping!

FussyPucker.....LOL! TY for the info hun! I'll pass it along! Seems a general concensus......wherever I go!

BIBI.......I have seen some great deals by way of money with Dell as well! One was as low as $495.00. But I don't know what was included.....and this is the thing my friend will have to check into. TY for your help!

Wombat........WOWsers hun! This is where I became overwhelmed! Not that I didn't understand everthing (though I admit I didn't catch it all) but that you took the time and effort to try and explain each and every detail of your suggestions..........this was wonderful information! I did know about the components of a name brand such as Dell and Gateway.....and the exclusivity of their parts! My sisters and a friend of ours Gateway systems crashed and all hell broke loose! I've never really heard a good thing about Gateway anyway.....so that was already out of the question. I don't think my friends daughter is as well versed in delving into everything that you listed...........but the OS is very important and I will pass along all the information you've given me and she can have what we don't understand......decyphered! I have Millenium and so far so good......but that's just me! Anyway........*BIG HUGS* for taking the time to get all this info down here! You've helped so much! TY, TY!

BCG........Great info as well hun! Yes, she already has a laptop....but an older one......and my friend has tried to question her daughter as to her satisfaction with it without ruining this surprise. Oh, I don't think I mentioned......this computer will be a "special" gift and a surprise. I'm so excited..........WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! LOL! But I digress. Anyway, her daughter won't be staying in a dorm for the first year (or is it the first two years.......hmmmm?.....not sure!) She'll be "working" her way through college and relying on grants and scholarships to get her though for a while. And she will be living in her new apartment (with her boyfriend). But after that she will need to either upgrade or already have the Ethernet card......so, GREAT ADVICE! TY sweety!

Dallas Living........See above for what I said about laptops. I'm thinking mostly of the word processor's on desktop PC's and I know my "package" has all I would need in the beginning. But I reiterate..........what the hell do I know! LOL! TY so much for your advice!

dude33.......Hmmmmmm? Great advice! I will pass it along and we'll sort it all out. Maybe we should go to a store and just play and play with them all! TY so much for helping!

Sharni......I know to which you speak as to the recovery system in a Compaq! Great advice! I too love my Compaq......but I'm not gonna jinx it by raving. I'll pass along the shared info and let her be the judge..........but I agree with you G/F! TY so much!

Aqua.......I've read this three times now and I know it may sound stupid but......well.......you know me.......I gotta ask! Independent dealer? What........like Staples, Best Buy? Ok......ok.....stop laughing and just get back to me on that.....LOL! TY hunny!

maestro......Will advise and I TY for contributing sweety!

Scarecrow.......Ok....OK......I get it! LOL! If only I could figure the independent dealer part???? OMG! ROFLMFAO! TY so much for your help as well hun!

Irish.......Oh! Great idea! Almost missed your reply as well.....was typing and posted my reply....then I discovered your reply! TY so much hun!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 01-29-2003, 07:01 AM
Unusually Curious

My 2cents:

Not going to brand bash, I'll give the same advice, that I've given to all that have asked!!

When you are looking to purchase your first computer, please realise the speed at which changes are made and discovered with in the industry.
Talk to as many ppl as you possibly can, find which type of systems that they run, programs used, and for what reason.

Then sit down and decided firstly what YOU want the computer to do. How much storage memory you NEED, how much accessable memory you NEED. do you need the system to be multi lingual, not just in Language but with programs you require to complete the tasks you've identified as priority.
Once you have the requirements that you NEED for the computer you want. DOUBLE EVERYTHING...... this will as least give you a system that will keep pace with your growing requirements(particulary with students)for a number of years before a major upgrade is required.
Never lose focus that a computer is only a tool to assist you with your work, it is an extention of your capabilities, you control it's information, it does not control yours.

If I can help Lixy I'll be glad to

Behind me is a Woman rolling her eye's!

The only opinion about me that matters is the one I have of myself
Old 01-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Muff Diver extrodinare

Send a message via ICQ to Wombat
By "independant" I/we mean that instead of going to the big chain stores or national or discount outlets who sell the "corporate" systems (IBM,Compaq,Dell etc.) you instead go and find the local guys who would have set up their own little shop (and sometimes not so little) somewhere ,usually away from the malls and main street shopping districts as the big boys would have muscled them out , and they'll call themselves "Such & Such Computer Centre "or "Joes computers" or something like that and their advertising will say they can build to order as well as offer packages which would include the usual peripherals like printer and scanner etc.
But don't just go with the first one you come across , be sure to shop around first cos if you walk in cold and they think you don't know shit then they could slug you top dollar and you wouldn't know any different.

Hope this helps .

Cheers
Wombat

Old 01-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Manwhore

Yes Lixy, the Independent Dealer would be the opposite of a Best Buy or Staples... They tend to be a lot smaller store, with little software and mostly hardware. They will advertise barebones systems (which usually consist of a case, motherboard, processor, and chip), and complete systems. Look around to see if there are any local computer publications (often free) and look through the ads. They are usually full of ads from Independent Dealers... good lucK!!

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 01-29-2003, 03:56 PM
Everybody Stretch!

TY, TY, TY Bilbo, Wombat and Aqua! Splains a lot......and I actually understand it too! LOL!

As I stated above Bilbo.....my friend wants this computer to be a surprise for her daughter. Might sound corny and maybe even not be advisible.....but she strongly wants to make this purchse and have it set up in her daughters new apartment so that when she walks in she'll shit her friggin trousers! Her daughter has NO idea that my friend has saved some money to specifically buy her a computer. As far as daughter knows......she'll be at the library more than she'll ever see her apartment.

And......as far as knowing exactly what a novice wants in a home computer......I don't know what questions to ask my friend as far as what her daughter wants because as I said.......she is the first in the family to attend college and I don't even think she, herself, would know the answer to that. I guess this is precisely why I came here, to post this question to everyone here. I know how smart everyone is here and I know there are college students as well. Thus far..........all the advice given has been an immense help!

I curtsey to your knowledge! TY everyone!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 01-29-2003, 04:15 PM

First of all be aware that a lot of computer companies offer really good deal for students through the school bookstore.
As for going for a generic type pc made at a small storefront operation, I'd sat don't.
They can be great systems at a great price but a lot of times these guys that put them together don't know what they're doing and don't back up there work. It's for people who really know hat they are doing and have done the research on each and every component. I've never heard a bad thing about Dell or Gateway.
You're best bet would be to look at PC world (especialy back issues!) and become familiar with all the good and not so good systems.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

Lixy any package deal(Dell, ect...) will have the software to get her started. Such as(no don't say it) microsoft (choke) word and microooooooooooo... (that companys) works.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Good in the sac.......Welcum to Pixies! And TY for some input (no pun intended...LOL!) I agree with you about Dell....never heard a bad thing ....yet!? But I have personal knowledge about Gateway and so I won't even try and recommend it. If I can't back something....I don't sell it! I also agree.....as with anything, experience breeds knowledge! And in the price range I am having to consider and the experience I know her daughter has little of......I so far am thinking my friend should buy a package that includes: the puter, the monitor, speakers, keyboard, a printer, and possibly a scanner (or if she saves enough on the deal and it's not included...to purchase one seperately that may be a combo fax/scanner). TY so much for replying and have fun on the sites babe!

Scarecrow.........OMG hun! Don't hurt yourself over there! LOL! I think I agree.........."daughter" is just getting started. She is smart enough to get into college........but far from being a rocket scientist (or in her case....a forensic scientist). She needs basics with expansion capabilities.........but this is not to say that down the road she won't need to upgrade. Hey! We all had to start somewhere! All I keep thinking of is..........."Oh, hell! I'm gonna spring for the works for my friends daughter"! I can afford it........but I know the pride my friend will feel in doing this "something special" from her heart to her daughters education. OK.....It has to be said here........this daughter (the oldest of my friends three children) was born to my friend at a time in her life when her family had shunned her in her shame. They said she should abort "it" and never speak of "it" again. She refused with every fiber of her soul and raised "daughter" alone for many years thereafter. For some strange reason friend and daughter were suddenly accepted back into the family. "Daughter" is now the pride of the family and my friend wants to show her how much she loved/loves her.......in as many small ways as she can! Regardless of what the family thought of my friends first born.........my friend never wavered in that love......no matter how little she had to help her make it!

*Sorry....didn't mean to make this a tear jerker*

Did I mention how terrific I think you all are for helping me help my friend? You are all incredible! TY so much!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 01-31-2003, 02:58 AM
Cheese Head Member

I have an HP, and wouldn't buy another. I would have to say best price, quality, and support.....Dell.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Everybody Stretch!

So far so good everyone! I've passed on all the info from above and went to a few puter sites to get some info on the tech stuff to give her some knowledge when she and I go comparison shopping.

TY whitehorse! Again......I am gonna help her comparison shop and Dell is on the list!

TY to everyone! I'll keep you all informed and if I have anymore questions......I hope you don't mind my bumping this thread to ask!

BBS with new info!

~Thomas Dewar~