Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2003, 08:10 AM

Irish,

As best as I can tell, very few people don’t support the troops. A distressingly large number would rather that the troops not get rid of the current Iraqi regime.

An interesting dichotomy, that.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:19 AM
The Bob Ucker of pixies

Send a message via Yahoo to 2-4-tea
Agree or Disagree with the war no matter what the #1 concern should be our troops defending our country. I cannot understand why celerbertys always want to get that political statement in if the lead singer of the Dixie Chicks is ashamed to live in the same state as our president she can move to another state
Old 03-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Lusting Horny Pixie

2-4 tea,

I agree.. Natalie could move to another state.. personally I would rather see her move to another country...

Altho the Chicks had a scheduled concert after her initial remarks in Germany, hell started to break loose in Iraq. I bet that they cancelled there appearence in Germany and Natalie rushed her ass back to the safety of the US. I find that offensive... yeah.. go ahead bad mouth your president and then expect him to protect you... Kiss my ass. (for visual aid look at my avatar)

Been rather pleasant not hearing the Chicks on the radio... think the odds are that I won't be hearing them anytime soon. You can bet that Sony is hot as hell over all of it and have seen a major drop in revenue over this. Actually I would favor Sony attempting to break their contract
Old 03-23-2003, 10:48 AM
Lusting Horny Pixie

2-4 tea,

I agree.. Natalie could move to another state.. personally I would rather see her move to another country...

Altho the Chicks had a scheduled concert after her initial remarks in Germany, hell started to break loose in Iraq. I bet that they cancelled there appearence in Germany and Natalie rushed her ass back to the safety of the US. I find that offensive... yeah.. go ahead bad mouth your president and then expect him to protect you...

Been rather pleasant not hearing the Chicks on the radio... think the odds are that I won't be hearing them anytime soon. You can bet that Sony is hot as hell over all of it and have seen a major drop in revenue over this. Actually I would favor Sony attempting to break their contract
Old 03-23-2003, 11:34 AM

2-4-tea,

It’s just business.

Remember that for minor celebrities, free advertising is a target of opportunity. Now, if you could create a scandal and become prominent because of it, and get your band’s name mentioned hundreds, if not thousands of times, and get many, many free hours of advertising because of it – what would you do?
Old 03-23-2003, 11:52 AM

My opinion.

First off, I agree that people have the right to state their opinion, no doubt about that. However, when one is a celebrity, I believe that they be a little more careful when choosing their words. Espically when it is over something so controversial and when spoken overseas. That was their major mistake.

Will I burn my cds and not buy another one? No. Why should the other Chicks be burned because one member of their group stupidly opened her big mouth? Its about as fair as when one of my customers last night was unhappy with a department person's performance and came up to blame me and bitch me out "just because I work for the same company." (After he yelled at her too.) Natalie opened her big mouth and yes, will pay for it. Can you guys name any famous person who had not had their 15 minutes of shame?

*runs away now*
Old 03-23-2003, 12:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
jseal---What would I do?I sure as hell,wouldn't badmouth
anyone!My wife will be the first to tell you that I always say
the things that I feel.Perhaps that is why I have had so many
jobs.Luckily,I am good at what I do.My employer has to weigh
wether(sp?)I am worth more to them by putting up with me,
or letting me go,because I am such a pain.The way that I look
at it is that you have to respect the person that looks back
from the mirror.Maybe not financially smart,but I still respect
myself.As long as the bills are paid,I,d rather have that respect!
Irish
P.S.I can't be THAT bad!May1,I will be married for 39yrs,and my
wife isn't ugly!You have to take the good with the bad!
Old 03-27-2003, 06:36 PM

Like an idiot, I'm going to stir this up again =)

This is a parody, not Natalie Maines' words, from www.blogcritics.org:

Apology from Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks

As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I now realize that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect.

I hope everyone understands, I’m just a young girl who grew up in Texas. As far back as I can remember, I heard people say they were ashamed of President Clinton. I saw bumper stickers calling him everything from a pothead to a murderer. I heard people on the radio and TV like Rush Limbaugh, Pat Robertson, Newt Gingrich and Trent Lott bad mouthing the President and ridiculing his wife and daughter at every opportunity.

I heard LOTS of people disrespecting the President. So I guess I just assumed it was acceptable behavior.

But now, thanks to the thousands of angry people who want radio stations to boycott our music because criticizing the President is unpatriotic, I realize it’s wrong to have a liberal opinion if you’re a country music artist. I guess I should have thought about that before deciding to play music that attracts hypocritical red necks.

I also realize now that I’m supposed to just sing and look cute so our fans won’t have anything to upset them while they’re cheating on their wives or getting in drunken bar fights or driving around in their pickup trucks shooting highway signs and small animals.

And most important of all, I realize that it’s wrong for a celebrity to voice a political opinion, unless they’re Charlie Daniels, Clint Black, Merle Haggard, Barbara Mandrell, Loretta Lynn, Ricky Skaggs, Travis Tritt, Hank Williams Jr, Amy Grant, Larry Gatlin, Crystal Gayle, Reba McEntire, Lee Greenwood, Lorrie Morgan, Anita Bryant, Mike Oldfield, Ted Nugent, Wayne Newton, Dick Clark, Jay Leno, Drew Carey, Dixie Carter, Victoria Jackson, Charleton Heston, Fred Thompson, Ben Stein, Bruce Willis, Kevin Costner, Arnold Schwartzenegger, Bo Derek, Rick Schroeder, George Will, Pat Buchanan, Bill O’Reilly, Joe Rogan, Delta Burke, Robert Conrad or Jesse Ventura.

God Bless America,
Natalie

Old 03-27-2003, 08:39 PM

seriousfun,

Other than self-indulgent antagonism...

Your point is...
Old 03-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Banned

It was serious fun The people who support the prez can say whatever they want about the left wing. Oftentimes, it becomes an attack on who they are . . . someone lumped all Canadians into the viewpoint I share . . . not right, not fair. I think that was the satirical point the blog made. Why is Charlie Daniels opinion respected more than Natalie Maines? Not fair, not fair . . .
Old 03-27-2003, 09:15 PM

Talking

I can only say that I asked my wife,last night,to start thinking
about what she wanted for an anniversary present.We will
be married for 39yrs on May1st.We try to scrimp our pennies,so we don't buy gifts,just for the sake of buying a gift.(Not very
romantic,but things are looked at with sense as you age)She said
that she didn't know.I kiddingly told her that I would get her the
latest Dixie Chix CD.She is a big C&W fan.She told me to buy it &
she would smash it&give it back to me!
seriousfan---Natalies comments sounded sarcastic to me.I under-
stand her point,but it was also sarcastic.As said by someone else,
it's too bad that the others will suffer because she opened her
mouth.I agree that everyone should be able to voice their opinion,
but thought should be used when others are effected. Irish
Old 03-27-2003, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irish
...seriousfan---Natalies comments sounded sarcastic to me.I under-
stand her point,but it was also sarcastic.As said by someone else,
it's too bad that the others will suffer because she opened her
mouth.I agree that everyone should be able to voice their opinion,
but thought should be used when others are effected. Irish

Please read my message... especially the part at the top that explains these are not Natalie Maines' words...:fly:

My only personal point about this whole deal has consistently been: be careful about our freedom of expression. This is perhaps the number one thing to defend in our society, and I take very seriously any represssion. Any person who does not want to support our constitutionally guaranteed freedoms can take a close look at where they choose to live. As a former resident of Dover, NH, just down the road from you, Irish, Live Free or Die.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jseal
seriousfun,

Other than self-indulgent antagonism...

Your point is...

F. Scott Fitzgerald once said, "The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in the brain at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

The truth usually lives somwhere in between...

There are very few absolutes, but our freedom of expression is one that hasn't yet been written out of the constitution.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by seriousfun

The truth usually lives somwhere in between...

Between what?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:22 AM

seriousfun---My youngest daughter,was a 911 operator for the
Dover Police Dept.One of my best friends,was a Sargeant on the
force.He just got promoted to Lt.My daughter no longer works
there.She was as high monetarily as you can go.When you're in your 30s,& have two kids(one autistic),cost of living raises aren't
much to work for.
"Live Free or Die"is the motto on all NH license plates.It is probably stamped on by convicts.Something doesn't seem genuine there! Irish