Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

Hockey playoffs, Conference Finals

OK, so I was completely wrong about Detroit/Calgary (I took Detroit in five games, Calgary won in six), completely right about San Jose/Colorado (SJ in six), half right about Toronto/Philadelphia (I took Toronto in six, Philly won in six), and half right about Montreal/Tampa Bay (I took Tampa Bay in seven, and they swept Montreal).

This leaves Calgary/San Jose for the Western Conference, and Tampa Bay/Philadelphia for the Eastern Conference.

Tampa Bay & San Jose both finished ahead of their opponents in the regular season. I'd *like* to see Tampa Bay take out Philly, but I don't think they're going to be able to.

My picks are Calgary in five games, and Philadelphia in six games. What are yours?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Kick His Ass

calgary in 6.......TB in 7
Old 05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Manwhore

*Looks for SS so we can console each other*

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 05-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Banned

I can't consider you half right if you guessed the wrong team but got the amount of games right!

We're still mourning the Leafs here.

Slow that bandwagon down . . . Go Flames Go!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Pixies Den Mother

Send a message via ICQ to Sugarsprinkles Send a message via MSN to Sugarsprinkles Send a message via Yahoo to Sugarsprinkles
*Joins Aqua in our mutual misery over the lack of a Wings/Avs Conference Final*

Well, the only consolation in all this is that EVERY ONE of the teams who have won a Stanley for the past 10 years are all out of the playoffs. So, it's NOT just the Wings that couldn't get it done this year. What does sadden me is that the injury to Steve Yzerman's eye and orbital bones around his eye may have the last time we see him play. I really hope he's able to retire the way he wanted to, and not writhing in pain. With the possibility of no 2004-2005 season, a lot of veteran players my call it a career. But I just have to say, whether or not you like the Red Wings, Steve Yzerman is one of the most upstanding and classiest men to ever have played the game.

Now, we've got Flames/Sharks and Flyers/Lightning. Only one of these teams has won a Stanley Cup before. I'm sick to death of hearing the talking heads on ESPN blather about how freakin' amazing Iginla, Gelinas and Kiprusoff are. I don't like the Flyers because Primeau's poor play cost the Wings dearly a few years back. So, I think I'm going to root for the Sharks.
Dream Date
Just Desserts
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 1
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 2
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 3
RAVISHED!!
My Birthday - A Fantasy
Old 05-05-2004, 12:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to aflyerfan Send a message via Yahoo to aflyerfan
I will take the Flyers in 6 and SanJose in 7.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thedog
Sorry about the Leafs, Steph ... but it was one helluva OT in game six. True playoff hockey.

Now ... the Flyers and the Bolts -- Phila was unable to win a single contest between the two during the regular season. Yeah, the playoffs are like starting over, the slate wiped clean, yada, yada, yada ...

I am a rabid Flyer fan but they are starting on a bit of a slippery slope -- the Bolts have home advantage plus the jinx of having beaten the Flyers in regular season play.

Sorry about Yzerman, Sugarsprinkles. Did you see the interview with Bobby Clark (of the famous 1974-1975 Flyers Clark-Leach-Barber, the LCB line -- most goals for a line in the NHL). Clark, now GM of the Flyers, said last night that every player should be wearing eye shields.

Hell, when Clark was playing, he didn't even wear a helmet.

Oh no Mr. Bill - not the Sharks!

GO FLYERS

Last edited by thedog : 05-05-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Pixies Den Mother

Send a message via ICQ to Sugarsprinkles Send a message via MSN to Sugarsprinkles Send a message via Yahoo to Sugarsprinkles
I need to correct myself when I stated that only one of the Final Four teams had won a Stanley Cup before. TWO of them have won the Cup in the past, Calgary in '89 and I'm not sure when Philly last won the Cup. I think that perhaps, thedog or aflyersfan can enlighten us on that.

No, I didn't see Bobby Clarke's interview. But thanks for letting me know. I'm not sure how I feel about a change in rules about shields. I remember when the helmet rule came in. In some ways it seems like they're turning it into a "sissy" game with adding even more protective equipment. But then the players in the league are so much bigger and stronger now than when there were only 6 teams, and not even goalie's wore helmets or masks. The players really do need to protect themselves from career-ending, and maybe even life-threatening injuries.
Dream Date
Just Desserts
RAVISHED!!
My Birthday - A Fantasy
Old 05-05-2004, 04:36 PM

Geeeeesh Sugar ... you really don't want me to talk about the Flyers, do you?

Okay, I will ... just a little.

The last time the Flyers won the cup was in 1975 (they won it in '74 as well). Those were the times during the great goalie matchups ... Bernie Parent for the Flyers (considered one of the six all time best goalies by some) versus the likes of Ken Dryden (Montreal). He (Dryden) was as big as the net. Getting a puck past him involved getting him down on the ice first. As long as he was standing, nobody scored. Montreal went on to win several consecutive cups (4).

The Flyer's style of play then was the quick passing game coupled with swarming the net.

Last night was, IMHO, one of the best passing games I've seen the Flyers play in a long time.

GO FLYERS !

Last edited by thedog : 05-05-2004 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:29 AM
Banned

Is it wrong to still be mourning Toronto?

I want this poor beleagured city to win the Cup. None of us can remember the last celebration!
Old 05-09-2004, 07:31 AM
Pixies Den Mother

I'm sure there are at least a few people in Toronto over the age of 37 that can remember it.
Dream Date
Just Desserts
RAVISHED!!
My Birthday - A Fantasy
Old 05-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Banned

My diehard Leaf fans I know are in their 20s and early 30s. Devoted like no other hockey fan I've ever seen but had no Cup to celebrate.

Canada won today though!
Old 05-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Pixies Den Mother

Detroit waited 42 yrs between Cups.............not sure how long the wait was for the Rangers back in '94.

Just be glad you aren't a Chicago Cubs fan. They haven't won a World Series since 1908.
Dream Date
Just Desserts
RAVISHED!!
My Birthday - A Fantasy
Old 05-09-2004, 06:55 PM

Hockey fans are devoted like no other because there is no other sport like it.

Hang in there Steph ... the Leafs have been, over time, one of the best teams in the NHL ... AND, one of the original six that played the game.

Yeah ... it's that damn Billy Goat.

Game two -- Tampa Bay. GO FLYERS !
Old 05-11-2004, 01:24 PM

Okay ... The Flyers - Lightning series is even 1-1 and the Flames put it to the Sharks the other night in OT (yea!!!!)

I am rooting for a Flyers - Flames Stanley Cup. What a killer series that would be (IMHO).

GO FLYERS !!