Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2005, 04:07 PM
gurly gurl

Question Gallbladder Problems

Ok, so this isn't a "sexual" thread--but just looking to see if anyone's had a problem with their gallbladder.

I haven't been feeling well at all lately, worse in the past couple weeks. As soon as I eat, it comes right back up. You'd think I'd be dropping the pounds, but not really.

I had an ultrasound on my liver and gallbladder which showed abnormalities on my gallbladder and then sent to have a nuclear medicine scan done which took 90 minutes. The tech snuck and told me it was abnormal. The nurse finally called and told me the same thing and are referring me to a surgeon.

The past few nights I have been in a lot of pain and this morning woke up shakey and instantly sick after eating a small bite for breakfast and had to lay back down. Crying, not much about the pain, but of being sick of living like this.

I have noticed that when I feel stressed I think it's worse. I hardly eat anything anymore in fear of getting sick.

This is really really really getting me down. I don't know how much more I can take.

Sorry to be such a drag. Just looking for advise I guess.

Hugs
Old 02-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Suprise Me

Sweetie... let me tell ya.... I know exactly what you mean.

Mine doesn't act up all the time though. I had what I thought was a heart attack the pain was so bad. Went into the emergency room - had heart tests, stayed overnight...the tests came back negative (thank God for that). My doc wanted me to have an ultra sound. Had that... that showed spots on my kidney and gall bladder. He scheduled me for a CT scan... the kind with the ink injected into you.. (that was a blast actually... made my privates tingle..heheh)

Anyway.. that test came back abnormal.. I have polyps in my gall bladder and a cyst on my kidney. The attacks that I have aren't regular.. don't know what kind of food I can eat or not eat.. I just try and then eliminate those foods that give me an attack. So far chocolate, pistachios, spicy or fried I stay away from....

You, however, appear more severe than I do....and I would really discuss with your doc about getting your gall-bladder taken out! I know a lot of women and a few members of Pixies who have had it done.. and they are very very thankful that they did.

You don't need your gallbladder actually...it does have some function in the digestive department, but if you cook a certain way and watch what you eat you shouldn't have any more problems after you have it taken it out. Also, the surgery isn't invasive.. they make small incisions and fill you up with gas and take it out. The women who I know that had it taken out only stayed in the hopsital overnight and one did it early in the morning and went home that same day...

Last edited by Cheyanne : 02-06-2005 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Boogeritis....again!
Old 02-06-2005, 05:01 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I had mine removed laproscopically about 4-5 years ago after having problems since I was 17. Fat, flatuent, and 40 (the doctor's guiding gallbladder saying), didn't fit me then so DRs. never checked. I never get sick anymore after years of hanging over a commode all night. My entire outlook on life inproved.It was a super easy procedure. I didn't even take pain meds after. You don't even get stitches anymore they just superglue the puncture sites where the tools and scope enter. Do not hesitate, do not worry. I have never met a soul sorry they had it removed. ((hugs))

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 02-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Wishful Thinker

Send a message via ICQ to BigBear57 Send a message via MSN to BigBear57 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBear57
I'm sorry you've been ill. I've known several people who've had the surgery too... no horror stories to report. I'll certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Get well soon Sweetie!

Love is not looking in each other's eyes, but looking together in the same direction - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Old 02-06-2005, 07:02 PM
~getting by~

I've had mine removed, about 4 or 5 years ago as well. I was having horrible pains in my side. The dr wasn't sure what it was as the pains were typically during my sleep and so severe they woke me up and felt as though someone was sticking a knife in my side that hit my spinal cord and then the pain radiated up and down my spine. I never was sick just in a lot of pain. My dr suspected it was my gallbladder although the pain wasn't during the time spans she expected it to be. I was placed a diet that contained ZERO fat for two weeks and then met with my dr again to discuss if I felt any better. When I wasn't feeling better and still having the pains during the two weeks of ZERO fat, I was scheduled for an ultrasound. The ultrasound revealed that my gallbladder was full of stones.

I don't know what abnormalities are that you speak of, but it was explained to me that my stones are actually deposits of cholestorol. The gallbladder releases an enzyme during the digestion process to aide in the digestion of fat. This is why they tried the fat free diet. In theory if I wasn't eating fat, the gallbladder shouldn't be trying to escrete the enzyme along with a stone or two that was essentially clogging the tract causing the pain. I also learned based upon questions from my dr how I developed the stones as I was about 25 when I had this happen. I had been on some "herbal/vitamin" diet medication. She was telling me that when you go through rapid weight loss typically aided by some form of medicine (prescription or otherwise) the body can't rid it's self of the cholestrol fast enough and it forms deposits in the gallbladder. Not that you will find that as a warning on the side of any diet aide!!!

Anyway, I had mine removed laproscopicly as well (completed as outpatient, was home the same day after waking from anesthetic and successfully drinking something in the hospital). It was three small incisions, outpatient surgery, and I had stitches, though they were all internally (below the skin) that disolved and didn't require removal. The recovery was rather brief, though I was off of work for two weeks, after one I felt well enough to return ... but dr orders. The first 24 hours were the roughest, mostly because of the anesthetic and the gas that they fill your abdomen with to remove the gallbladder through a tiny one inch incision. I was on pain medication, but only took one pill as it made me feel sick and the thought of being sick with a pained abdomen was less than thrilling. I choose pain over sickness.

My recommendations to you if you have surgery, have it as early in the day as possible, be prepared for difficulty sleeping the first few days if you are a side sleeper, even when sleeping on the opposite side, I felt a pulling sensation. Also, my bed sits quite high, it was hard to get in and out as the muscles you would use are in your abdomen and were quite sore. Walk! you will have some gas left in you from the procedure, and this is the only way to efficiently make that gas move out of your body. Lastly, when you cough or sneeze grab a pillow and hug it tight, it relieves the pressure on the incisions.

For a period of time I had difficulty eating, learning what would make me feel ill or not. That is all gone now, with the exception of when I'm feeling a lot of stress, then it seems like no matter what I eat I feel sick. So I try to keep my stress in check (as we all should anyway) and I'm much better off.

Hopefully your dr will find the best solution, but please don't stress if they decide to do surgery, it really is not bad. Promise!

(((iwm)))
Old 02-06-2005, 07:49 PM

Okay, I REALLLLLLLLLY hope that I don't scare you by saying all this.

Having said that, my mom got her's removed about 3 years ago. Since then she has chronic diareha. She can't even eat out in public because she's too embarassed about being in the bathroom more than at the table.

She's never been in good health and to be honest I think she's just wearing out and at the point where she's creaking and cracking all over. I'm glad to hear that my mother is the abnormality and wish you the best of luck
Old 02-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Oh IWM! I'm just sending you hugs and hope!

(((((((IWM))))))))

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 02-06-2005, 11:32 PM
broken

Send a message via Yahoo to FallenAngel5
I'll join the parade. I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago, laproscopically. Gall bladder problems run in both sides of my family, so I wasn't too surprised. I diagnosed myself, actually, the doctor didn't believe me. But up til I had it out, it was horrible pain and nausea that usually either woke me up or kept me up at night, sometimes so bad that I couldn't move. My aunt who had problems described the pain as "worse than childbirth." phew.
But the descriptions you've already gotten are right, the problems are caused by increased fat, so the pain usually comes with a high fat meal. But, like maddy, I highly recommend the surgery. I had mine at 7 in the morning, and I went home that night right after dinner. I only have 4 small scars with the stitches that dissolve. The pain the first day was, eh... what you expect with surgery. But I was on morphine at the hospital and codeine at home, which helped tremendously. Even with me being a big baby when it comes to pain. The worst part was that the incisions go through your abdominal muscles, so it hurt to sit up for a little bit, but that wore off quickly. I was back to normal in a couple weeks, and things are SO much better. My surgeon was awesome, and I recommend asking around to see who people in your area like.
But yeah, if you're having problems, it is a simple enough surgery that will save you so much pain in the future. ::hugs:: Sorry that you're going through this. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Baby I’m your slave
I’ll let you whip me if I misbehave
Tie me to the bedpost
I like it rough
cause I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all
Old 02-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Always Naughty/Never nice

My entire family has galbladder problems. And I know I will (cheerful thought). Didn't know so many had it though. But because my mother is in medicine and my dad knew it ran in his family I've lived a "health galbladder life".

What to watch out for:
Trans Fats (Cheap peanut butter, Chocolate, Fast food, Cheese foods, pre-packaged foods and dinners)

Animal oils (Crisco is a NO NO. Use olive oil when possible. Vegtable when not. Substitute pear necture for crisco in cookies and desserts)

Ground beef (If you feel like binging get the Exrta Lean, costs like $0.75 more a pound but is worth it)

Binding food (Bleached flower, white bread)

To look for:
Pear Necture contains the same chemicals that your galbladder uses so it helps to ease the pain. Goya sells it for about as much as a soda...and taste pretty good too.

Wheat Crackers, Wheat rice cakes,Whole Wheat bread- these wheaty, gluttony items help to trap fats and help them to pass through your system faster. Fiber is your friend.

Watermelon- this contains a chemical that helps to calm your galbladder and works kinda like a pain killer for your galbladder(or so I have been told)

Whole Milk- Actually not sure why on this one....

Not sure if any of this is just family legands and such but I know my father and grandfather both have serious glbladder problems and this diet seems to work for them.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:14 AM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
well, iwm, at least you know your not alone. lots of support around here.

and from me, too.
((((hugs))))

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 02-08-2005, 08:59 PM
gurly gurl

Wow you guys are the greatest! Thank you so much for all the information!

Playful1, thank you for taking the time to give me all this information!!!!

I saw a surgeon today, I am to have it removed next Wednesday. The doctors main concern is that from my other five surgeries I've had in the past two years that there may be complications. I dont really know what to think about it all, just hoping that this pain will finally be gone and I can get on with my life!

I will ask asp to let you all know how I am after the surgery next week.

Thank you again you guys!!!!!!!! Means the world to me.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:38 PM
broken

Send a message via Yahoo to FallenAngel5
Best of luck with the surgery iwm! I'm sure you'll be better off afterwards.
Baby I’m your slave
I’ll let you whip me if I misbehave
Tie me to the bedpost
I like it rough
cause I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all
Old 02-10-2005, 05:46 AM
watcher of all

Send a message via AIM to flywater Send a message via Yahoo to flywater
IWM, Just ran across this thread, very sorry to hear what you are going through, but there is a ray of hope! Just hang in there and remember, there are alot of people who are keeping you in their prayers! Let us know how it all works out!