Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Pixie's Student

Send a message via MSN to africandan
Transporting Pixies Ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseal
I can think of several Pixie ladies I've ALREADY fantasized about teleporting into an erotic encounter! MMMmmmmm.

Join the club!

I'm one of the English contingent. Teleportation would be a great way of getting them over the puddle!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:21 PM
Open to suggestions.

africandan - I thought that quantum entanglement “enabled” teleportation.

Take that photon for example. At any time, it has a finite number of quantum states – each one has some value. Suppose that two photons, one photon at place A and the other at place B, share an entangled state of polarization. I’ve read that it is possible to perform an operation on the photon in place A that will transform the photon in place B into one of two states, depending on the two possible outcomes of the operation at place A: either polarized, or an unpolarized state that is related back to A in a definite way.

After the operator at place A communicates the outcome of the operation to place B, the operator at place B knows either that the two photons are the same, or how to transform the local photon to the same state as that in place A by a local operation.

The way I understand this is that the operators in place A and B have managed to use their shared entangled state as a quantum communication channel to destroy the polarized state of the photon in place A’s part of the universe and recreate it in place B’s part of the universe.

Now, if an observer cannot distinguish between the photon in place A and place B, then isn’t it reasonable to argue that the photon on place A has ”teleported” to place B?

Last edited by PalaceGuard : 03-27-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:06 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

You're right.

And they did it back in the 50's and you get this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THIS.jpg (38.5 KB, 293 views)

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 03-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Pixie's Student

Teleporting Pixies

It enables the teleporting of photons, yes. But as in my previous post - this doesn't help teleporting humans. For exactly the reasons I said.

Firstly, humans don't experience quantum effects - they're too big, they simply don't have different quantum states in the way photons do. And cannot be changed from one sort of human into another.

Secondly, you'll note that the example you give of teleporting photons requires two photons already to exist. For the equivalent in human teleportation you would require two humans who are then made indistinguishable. But the type of teleportation that we want sends one human from one place to another - and preferably doesn't alter them in the process.

So whilst quantum entanglement can enable the impression of teleporting photons, it can't even enable the actual teleporting of a single photon let alone the teleporting of a Pixie lady into my room.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:48 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantyFanatic
You're right.

And they did it back in the 50's and you get this.

If they finally figure out how I can teleport Pixies men straight into my lair/dungeon/web and they have penises the size of flies I am gonna be one pissed mother fucker

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 03-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Missing the Angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
If they finally figure out how I can teleport Pixies men straight into my lair/dungeon/web and they have penises the size of flies I am gonna be one pissed mother fucker

Old 03-28-2005, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceGuard
...quantum entanglement “enabled” teleportation...

PalaceGuard,

Sir. You Rock!

While I opened the subject, I did so with the qualification that the needed engineering was unrealistic. I also have a theoretical problem with the process.

The uncertainty principle limits the accuracy that you can measure the position of a particle to be a function of its momentum. It order to measure the momentum of a proton, for example, precisely, you need to renounce all knowledge of the proton’s position. Given that the number of proton’s in a human is approximately 10^26, the resulting loss of information would render the transformation useless.

As for the engineering, assuming that each proposed measurement could – in principle – be carried out, you’d still have to perform 10^26 measurements in 3 seconds or so, if we are to retain the Star Trek metaphor. That’s not CPU clicks now, that’s real world measurements. Further, you’d have to pre-establish 10^26 entangled pairs before the teleportation could occur.

There’s no way that could be done in real time.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Mama Mia!

I think some people have far too much time......lol

It's a BOY!!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:06 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie7788
I think some people have far too much time......lol

:grin: :grin:
:grin:

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 03-28-2005, 12:21 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
just goes to show you never can tell what's gonna happen next...ever.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 03-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Pixie's Student

Problem of Induction... my arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndhy
just goes to show you never can tell what's gonna happen next...ever.

Indeed, the sun may not rise tomorrow.... but I bet that it does!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Open to suggestions.

jseal - I agree that the engineering needed for teleportation is overwhelming. I don't think Dr. Heisenberg would stand in the way of this process.

The uncertainty principle can be stated as

uncertainty in position (X) multiplied by the uncertainty in velocity (V) > h/m

Where h is Planck’s constant and m is the mass of the particle.

In the quantum world, each measurement changes the system. To measure the position of the object will introduce an uncertainty in the velocity, and vice versa. This is what it means to have the number on the right side of the equation not equal to zero. As the uncertainty in one variable (V) approaches zero, the uncertainty in the other (X) must increase to keep their product greater than h/m.

Here’s the point: at room temperature, the thermal vibration of the atoms in anything to be teleported creates a sufficiently large X that V can be very small.

As for the engineering, I’m less concerned with the count of the particles that need to be entangled as to the fact that the values of many quantum states must be captured simultaneously for the teleportation to be effective. As I mentioned above, each measurement changes the system being measured. It would be inaccurate to claim that useful measurements cannot be made, but they would be tricky. In all likelihood, the sum of the X * V would be small enough for uncomplicated objects. For dynamic objects like the brain, where the state of the system could change while the measurements were being made, I doubt that what would be received would be identical to what was sent. I sure wouldn’t volunteer.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:47 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
Quote:
Originally Posted by africandan
Indeed, the sun may not rise tomorrow....

and if i was around and able to witness it...wouln't that be somethin'!!

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 03-28-2005, 08:51 PM

As both of you have well described the quantum world is nearly impossible to measure.

Then why try to measure it?

Why not image what you intend to transport and reproduce the exact copy on the other side? A computer could possibly measure the image and determine the position of every object, with future advances of course. The computer could then reassemble the object on the other side, given that all the exact ingredients and an infinite energy source are readily available.

But then there lies yet another problem, do you then destroy the original at the point of origin?

DAM THE MAN!
Old 03-28-2005, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGbad
...do you then destroy the original at the point of origin?

BIGbad,

That is what happens with quantum entanglement.