Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2005, 10:49 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
book club

i think we've got it figured out...finally and it will work like this: each memeber will choose a book, we'll do this in alphabetical order. there is a new list of memebers on the blog and we will place each member's book choice next to their name. for any duplicate choices, the person farther down the list will need to re-choose.

that makes aqua our virgin sacrifice and he has chosen Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by Spider Robinson, 205 pages.
"...[it] is a collection of 9 linked short stories. All are set at the saloon of the title. Callahan's has a colorful collection of regulars and is often visited by aliens, time travelers, and humans with paranormal gifts. The book contains a fascinating introduction by Ben Bova entitled "Spider Robinson: The SF Writer as Empath."

This book is a great blend of humor and science fiction. Robinson puts inventive spins on classic sci-fi themes. He also deals effectively with such down-to-earth issues as war, motherhood, and personal loss. The book is also full of puns--the Callahan's regulars observe a Punday contest.

Along the way Robinson invokes Isaac Asimov and Charles Fort. The book as a whole is grounded by a real compassion for the human (and nonhuman!) condition--this is sci-fi with both brains and heart."

"...is a compilation of many stories centered around a backwoods bar named Callahan's. It is here where old friends meet, new friends are made, puns are exchanged, glasses are shattered, healing begins, and the world is saved. Join Jake, Fast Eddie, the Doc, and a slew of other characters as they tell jokes, stories, and make the acquaintainces of some very odd aliens, with equally odd problems. No one just stumbles into Callahan's, you find it."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
^^^were two reviews taken from amazon.com^^^

i think it sounds like a great read and the similarities to pixies are not lost on you, i'm sure it can be found used on amazon.com for a song. (there is also a link on the blog for this)

what we do need to decide on is when the best time for the live chats will be. i know this is not going to work for everyone and that's a bummer, to say the least. so to compensate we will also start an article on the blog to introduce the ideas for discussion in not-so-real-time.

also...please decide on your book choice and get back to me as soon as you can. this first book will take some time for all of us to acquire but if we can be prepared for the next one there shouldn't be any lag time in between reads.

there are a few people who have not returned any email addresses to me..if you're just not interested anymore, that's cool. if you forgot, then you might wanna drop me a line when you can.

i plan on bugging you all with yet another PM, tomorrow most likely, basically re-capping most of this thread. after that, most communiqués will be via the email addy you gave me (no character limits on those )

i really want this to be a fun experience for all, not a homework assignment. i feel a teensy bit nervous that i am making things more complicated than they have to be (it's my MO ) but, we'll work out the bugs as we go along and i am always here to help and to listen to any suggestions you may have. i only hope we can all come away from this with some new perspectives and new or stronger friendships and at the very least...hey, we've read a few good books. if it tanks we can at least say we tried.

a link to the blog: http://pixies-bookclub.blogspot.com/

---------edit-----------
i just found out at least two people did not receive the emails i sent for invites to the blog. please let me know if you haven't either.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose

Last edited by wyndhy : 01-12-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Loungin' Around

Quick question ~~ if we think of a better book along the way, can we change our choice? (providing, of course, that we are not "next up")

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 01-13-2005, 06:30 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Glad I'm an L Looking forward to reading this....

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 01-13-2005, 09:29 AM
pixie of the wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche
Quick question ~~ if we think of a better book along the way, can we change our choice? (providing, of course, that we are not "next up")

yes...unless someone has spent un-refundable $$$ to buy it...i don't wanna drain your wallets

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Manwhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche

I propose that if you change your mind the penalty is sending naked pics (of yourself ) to the inbox's of the group. :devilish:

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 01-14-2005, 05:21 PM
pixie of the wood

lol at aqua...the man of the one-track mind

okay ya'll...check the blog periodically and your email for info..."ccchhhsssshhh...pixies bookclub to pixies-place forum...ccchhhssshhh...we have separation...ccchhhsssshhh"