Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 08:54 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch- changes

So the poor people around me have had to deal with me going on and on and on and on about this book I read that made me look at some things in a new light. I've rambled on incessantly and they've withstood my blabbering, thanks be to them.

I'm wondering if you have ever read something, anything, that had such a profound imapact on you. What was it and what did you get from it that made such a lasting impression on you?

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Lusting Horny Pixie

come on Lil... you gotta tell me which one you are reading...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 PM
~getting by~

Yah, I'm curious to know as well what book this is that you've read. I feel like I'm at that point that I could use such a book, but when I walk into BN, I don't walk out with anything along that vein.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:02 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

oh like you have to drag it outta me.........

The Alchemist...it's just a tiny little fiction book (only 171 pages and required reading for my 14 year old) but it came to me when I needed the message it gives. Steph has a quote in her sig.

Got me thinking that surely you guys have read things that have made you feel the same.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
The Alchemist...it's just a tiny little fiction book (only 171 pages and required reading for my 14 year old) but it came to me when I needed the message it gives. Steph has a quote in her sig.

D'oh! Had a quote! Murphy's Law -- just changed it! Lemme dig that quote up again, though:

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself," the alchemist replies. "And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity."

Another book along the same vein is The Little Prince that suggests that adults should not only stop and smell the roses but should act like kids more. Loved it!

Some quotes from it:

Grown-ups like numbers. When you tell them about a new friend, they never ask questions about what really matters. They never ask: "What does his voice sound like?" "What games does he like best?" "Does he collect butterflies?". They ask: "How old is he?" "How many brothers does he have?" "How much does he weigh?" "How much money does his father make?" Only then do they think they know him.

If you tell grown-ups, "I saw a beautiful red brick house, with geraniums at the windows and doves on the roof...," they won't be able to imagine such a house. You have to tell them, "I saw a house worth a hundred thousand francs." Then they exclaim, "What a pretty house!"
Old 07-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Made in England

I really enjoyed "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibron written in 1923.....powerful and mystical and awoke a spirituality within me.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Melted

When I was in high school we read Anthem by Ayn Rand. I think I was the only one in the class who absolutely loved it - I cried soooo much reading that book... I was at a time when I really needed to learn to love myself, and Anthem taught me lots.

Si à travers nos veines coule encore le sang...
Si dans les jeux d'enfants on entend encore l'accent...
Si nous sentons encore l'espoir de nos grands-parents...
Si dans les voiles du large souffle encore le vent...
Y'a jamais eu de Grand Dérangement.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Booger Lama

Not sure if I would say profound imapact, but I have read a lot of books that have made me look at things in a diferent light.

it's not the orgasm but getting there thats fun

a shot in the bush is worth two in the hand

whip me, beat me, tie me up, break my arm, but please don't break my heart

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid people are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell
Old 07-15-2005, 03:05 AM

Death Be Not Proud, when I was an impressionable teenager. Taught me that life was too precious to waste a minute of it, that people are capable of amazing things, and that there is NO excuse for not reaching for your dreams.

Also taught me that it was possible to cry your way through an entire box of tissues in one afternoon...but honestly, what teenage girl doesn't figure that one out .
Old 07-15-2005, 08:23 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Quite a few that I have not read. I'm eager to read "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibron but just have never sat down and made myself. Thanks for the reminder BI BI.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 07-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Awesome on my Own

"Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom A true account of a man who goes back to see an old college professor. Morrie is dying of ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease. But the old teacher remains a teacher thru the end and beyond, teaching readers years after his death. I love it and the certain truths and "Morrie-isms" that are said.

was also made into a movie where it was Jack Lemmon's last movie.

The story and quotes are wonderful and insightful. Was a required reading, but i still love it and have read it twice more.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:53 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

liz I loved that book too and gave it away as gifts to people who needed it.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Awesome on my Own

i think that it excellent for all teachers as well
Old 07-15-2005, 03:40 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
the five people you meet in heaven by albom was also great.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 07-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Weedscreamer

Not a book, but a quote. I have a Franklin Planner with quotes for each day. Sometimes I read them, most days, not. I know two ladies over 80 that are real go-getters. Tuesdays, they shred me at Scrabble. They're not afraid to try/see/do new things. Pardon the ramble, but now to the point. I was worried about not having my BA or MA and what I was going to do with my life. I was also concerned that I couldn't do anything wothwhile and was trapped in my life here. I was thinking about those ladies and I opened my planner to that particular day, and there was the quote. "You're NEVER too old to be what you might have been." Keeps me going and looking at things from fresh angles. Has also fueled a few new ideas in this brain.