Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2002, 09:42 AM
Cynic Emeritus

What is racism?

I have been thinking during the last few weeks about what it is to be a racist because the subject is VERY sticky. I thought, since everyone here at Pixies seems to be so open and honest, that I would ask your opinions. And is there a fine line between safety and racism, especially when it comes to your loved ones.

Some questions to ponder:

Is it racist if....

You laugh at or tell a racist joke among friends?

You get nervous walking through a neighborhood where people of other races live but you have not been threatened?

You are Jewish and you really want your daughter to say, marry a Jewish lawyer?

Especially since Sept. 11, get on an airplane and constantly watch the guy with the turban on?

Think Jesse Jackson's an idiot?

Listen to Louis Farrakahn and think he has some good points or listen to David Duke and think he has some good points?

Think every thing has to do with race?

Think nothing has to do with race?

I'm not sure where I stand but I thought I would throw it out there because, well just because.

CK

"Women, you can't live with them ... pass the beer nuts." - Norm Peterson (George Wednt) on Cheers

"Sometimes you just have to say, what the fuck." - Tom Cruise in Risky Business

"It tastes so good. Once it hits your lips." - Frank the Tank in Old School
Old 08-05-2002, 09:50 AM
Bastard of Member

Send a message via Yahoo to skipthisone
1. NO, I learned most of my "Racist" Jokes from my great friend who is black
2. I think that happens to all races
3. I think thats just a religious thing and i dont get it.
4. I dont want to go there
5. Jesse Jackson is the biggest piece of shit to walk the earth.
6. I totally think they are both extremes, but if we cloned them together maybe the result would be good
7. I do not
8. I do, race is a non-factor to me.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:40 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Clint Send a message via AIM to Clint Send a message via Yahoo to Clint
I'm not gonna touch any of those questions with a ten foot pole

P.S. Great thread, though

*Clint
Old 08-05-2002, 12:10 PM
The Pimp-Hued Hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Silky Send a message via MSN to Uncle Silky Send a message via Yahoo to Uncle Silky
racism is a terrible prejudice against Nascar.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:18 PM

Very interesting thread.....

There are two ways to view "Race". Based on which of the two views you prescribe to you will (probably) formulate differing degrees of opinions based on race.
The first is that race is a geographical population distinguished by genetically transmitted physical characteristics. Black, asian, anglo...etc.
The second is a view that ALL of humankind is ONE race.
I tend to align myself with the latter view. So, with that in mind here are my responses to your questions....
1. There is MUCH humor to be found in people who are different (for ANY reason) than ourselves.
2. Self preservation is one of our basest human instincts. To thwart that instinct in the name of "political correctness" is lunacy.
3. A lot of traditions and family values are based more on cultural or historical precedence than race-based factors.
4. Again, the self preservation issue. The enemy is within, and we know "HE" is not a 70 year old white woman from Poland. The only thing I'd like to point out is that the turbin is related more to Indian than arabian tradition.
5. Anyone who cloaks themselves in the cloth of religion to further their political agenda is has no credibility with me.
6. See answer to #5.
7. I think people who belive there are dividing lines between "races" may view their own, and in return, everyone elses agenda having to do with race. I do not.
8. I am a realist. I belive that I am, by virtue of others guiding principles, grouped into a certain racial, and socio-economic, class.
So as much as I WISH It didn't matter, I do acknowledge that much in our world is based on peoples racial, religious and cultural views. I find it unfortunate that there have to be so many devisions, but all I can do is live my life through my own eyes, and think with my own mind.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:05 PM

You laugh at or tell a racist joke among friends?
- Nope. A joke's a joke.

You get nervous walking through a neighborhood where people of other races live but you have not been threatened?
- Nope. Human Survival. Generally this fear comes in undesirable areas where the crime is not necessarily a result of race but financial state.

You are Jewish and you really want your daughter to say, marry a Jewish lawyer?
- As long as you don't force her to or ban her from marrying someone else it's fine.

Especially since Sept. 11, get on an airplane and constantly watch the guy with the turban on?
- No, this is just stupidity.

Think Jesse Jackson's an idiot?
- Jesse Jackson is an idiot.

Listen to Louis Farrakahn and think he has some good points or listen to David Duke and think he has some good points?
- What points?

Think every thing has to do with race?
- Nope, just dumb

Think nothing has to do with race?
- Nope, just dumb.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:14 PM
the Lusty Wench

Lots of questions, but let me see ....

1. I don't think it's racist so long as you aren't using 1 stereotype that you believe only fits that one race as the point of the joke.

2. I agree that self-preservation is a good instinct ... it is not a bad thing to approach situations with a bit of caution.

3. Well, I guess my question is are you talking about jewish as a religion/culture or jewish as a race? I come from a religious background that has VERY strong cultural/lifestyle issues attached to it .... because of that, if I were to marry someone from outside of that religion -- it would create a lot more negative issues than most people might begin to imagine. I don't think that is racist, I just think that people need to think through some of the big issues before they marry and try to minimize the problems that may be found in the relationship.

4. again I guess it's a self preservation thing .... but don't you hate to think about how USA had internment camps during WWII?

5. An idiot by any other name ... still the same.

6. Most people have some good points to make .... just have to be careful not to adopt their entire philosophy because they have 2 or 3 good things to say.

7/8 I think nothing has to do with race so long as you're not the race being targeted .... and maybe much more is about race when you are.

And finally, as long as you're checking yourself to make sure you haven't gone too far off course from what you feel comfortable with -- as long as you're still questioning, then at least you can correct things if you begin to stray from the proper course.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Grumble
Just some general comments. People always seem to make divisions to identify. When overseas I am Australian but amongst other Australians I am a Tasmanian. Amongst Tasmanians I am a Launcestonian (I live in Launceston) and even then I live in St Leonards (a suburb)

Racism to me is discrimination against a person for no other reason than his ethnic origin. I see it in Australia against the aboriginal people, many unfotunately are very susceptable to drink, are often unemployed or unemployable. Many are neither but the attitude of white superiority has been a strong influence in our history and this land was taken by force without a thought for the soveriegnty or culture of the indiginous inhabitants.

Many black people also practise a high degree of racism towards whites but that seems more acceptable than vica versa in society.

religous intolerance is rife everywhere. Christian view muslims as heathens, Muslims view Christians as infidels, theirs is the only god, the only way.

The only way to get ahead is to be tolerant and allow others their own views.

I must say that getting on a plane when there are arabic/middle eastern looking people makes me feel uneasy. That was even before sept 11. People from those groups do the majority of the
terrorism so it sparks anxiety in me anyway.

Thats not to say I think that every one of them is a terrorist, that is plain crazy but I am suspicious.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:20 PM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
I was gonna ignore this thread, because I've grown very tired of seeing Real World problems invade my space here, but....I have to say, Soulminer summed things up very well, IMO...

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Pixies Den Mother

Send a message via ICQ to Sugarsprinkles Send a message via MSN to Sugarsprinkles Send a message via Yahoo to Sugarsprinkles
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Silky
racism is a terrible prejudice against Nascar.

Silky, that's the first thing you've ever said that I've understood! ROFLMAO!!!! I love it!!!
Dream Date
Just Desserts
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 1
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 2
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 3
RAVISHED!!
My Birthday - A Fantasy
Old 08-05-2002, 09:08 PM

Re: What is racism?

1) yeah but who doesnt?
2) i grew up in an all black/hispanic city its the poor crack heads that bother me, not people with a differnt ethnic background
3) ------
4) im more worried about the guy with the gun then the turban
5)yes but if he was white, hispanic, native american, purple, blue, gay, or british he would still he an idiot
6)i dont listen to either
7/8)somethings do but to me no more than trying to get me to give your greedy ass money becaause an ancestor was sold by his tribe's leader for a case of whisky or for what hitler did because I'm german decent (happened a lot when i lived in a VERY jewish town)
Old 08-05-2002, 10:19 PM
The Pimp-Hued Hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Silky Send a message via MSN to Uncle Silky Send a message via Yahoo to Uncle Silky
word, Sparkly Sprinkles. you know i got dat flava up in my vocab. least they ain't hatin on a cracka fuh expressin hisself, ya heard? wunna deez days, day gonna recuhnize a gimp's skills. word.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:55 PM
Pixies Prodigal Bard

Send a message via Yahoo to Murphy
Talking Re: What is racism?

Is it racist if....
1) These two INDY DRIVERS - oh, that's a RACER Joke, Not a racist one.

2)"You get nervous walking through a neighborhood where people of other races live but you have not been threatened?"
Think of this: 3 of us, with me the token WASP, broke down in South Chicago. The 2 "Bruthas" were more scared than me! Go figgure!

3)You are Jewish and you really want your daughter to say, marry a Jewish lawyer?
Sounds more like Semetic Purity than true Racisim to me...But...A Jewish Princesses Favorite Wine? - - "I wanna goto Mi-aam-ee"

4)Especially since Sept. 11, get on an airplane and constantly watch the guy with the turban on?
Now that's Paranoid - it was clean-cut college age Afghanis that "did the deed"

5)Think Jesse Jackson's an idiot?
Very true, but not because he's black, he's just an idiot.

6)Listen to Louis Farrakahn and think he has some good points or listen to David Duke and think he has some good points?
Who and whom? Seriously tho, Each has his points, but I'll still turn my dial to Rush Limbaugh.

7a)Think every thing has to do with race?
7b)Think nothing has to do with race?
Nothing is ever (pardon the pun) "Black and White"

The best thing about taking a vacation, is all the heartfelt huggs received upon your return. - Murphy

"The more you love, the more you CAN love. There's no limit to how much you can love - or how many" Lazarus Long in "Time Enough for Love" - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-05-2002, 11:44 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Yeah, exactly what scotzoidman said.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 08-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Gone with the Wind

I am going to upset someone with this, I am sure.
Racism has to be practiced by those in power. It is the oppression of a "racial" or "ethnic" group because they are not in power, and those in power want it that way.
Not allowing blacks to have certain jobs, or to get an education, or even making it unlawful for them to learn to read, is racism.
Most of what we have talked about in this thread is BIGOTRY, not racism.
In the USA, it is difficult for blacks or hipanics to be racist,because they are seldom in power, but ANYONE can be bigoted. At least here racism is not as big a problem as it once was, but bigotry is everywhere. I am still sometimes caught unawares, and surprised.
I have been avoided, shunned, by people who disliked the fact that I have taken lovers of other races. I have had black women threaten me 'cause I sleep with black men, and have had white women criticize me having black women as lovers, and I am NOT going to repeat what some white men have said to me about either of these things.
I have sex with whoever I want, so long as they want me.

I am the only daughter of a professor of english, so please forgive my desire to explain of the difference between racism and bigotry.

WW

---Margaret Cho