Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Addicted Member

Brush With Greatness!

I dunno if this has been ask here at Pixies before but.........

Today I got to thinking and I remembered a segement on David Letterman where he did an audience poll to see who has ever met, or almost met, or met someone who knew or worked for, a celebrity.

So I thought, why not? Have you ever had a "BRUSH WTH GREATNESS"?

I met Cheap Trick when they were just about to hit the big times. I worked for Columbia Records distributions in N.J. the year Cheap Trick's first album came out. We got a pass from work to see them at a local club and an exclusive "back stage pass" as well. I stood next to Robin Zander and thought, "This is the shortest man I have ever met!" LMAO! But he was nice enough and the band even gave a friend of mine a ride home in their Winnabago, because as they left the club they saw her drunk and hitchiking down a lonely road. She remembered some of the ride and when she woke in the morning, draped over her as if it were a blanket was a jacket Robin wore that night. You know the one..........has Cheap Trick from top to bottom on it.

I also met John Travolta at a convention center in Philly, way back when he was Vinny Barbarino on "Welcome Back Kotter".

Met Nick Nolte at that same center at a different time when he was doing the mini-series "Rich Man Poor Man".

I was sitting on the beach in Atlantic City, N.J. .......oh.......eons ago......and saw Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong walking down the beach and throwing something up for the seagulls to eat. They had so many seagulls around them I dare not approach them for fear of an attack by the birds.......LOL!....Looked just like the movie "The Birds"......but this one had Cheech and Cong in it!..........maybe they were throwing them joints!.......LMAO!

Oh.....And when we lived in the Fla. Keys we heard a radio broadcast that said David Lee Roth had been spotted doing some songs at a few clubs up and down the strip in South Beach, Miami. So, off we went to South Beach.......but alas....to no avail! DLR was nowhere to be found! Bummer! We did however live right down the road from where Jack Nicholson and Kathy Lee Gifford had "winter homes" in Key Largo! Never saw them though and we would take a yacht out periodically (we worked for a Yachting Co.) to pass by the homes on the bay side.....no one was ever there!

OK....your turn!

Mrs. Lix
Old 08-07-2002, 08:07 PM
Working Stiff

Ran into Lynn Swann once in the DFW airport. I was on my way home from Basic Training in the Air Force, and he was in line behind me. We talked about football for a few but I never got an autograph...too stunned...lol
Old 08-07-2002, 08:12 PM
the Lusty Wench

OK, living in So. Cal makes it easier sometimes ....

At one law firm I worked for I prepared documents for and met with Damon Wayons and his wife, also Keenan Ivory Wayans, and also Esther Williams (I know that's old school celebrity) and finally Rodney King (from the LA Police beatings) -- interesting group.

Also, have seen Richard Gere on the beach at San Clemente near where he had a house at the time (I don't know if he still has a place there or not) and Brooke Shields in San Clemente as well.

And then there's professional athletes -- I know a few of them on a personal level -- not HUGE names, but ones who make a decent living at the sport they play ... Because I'm friends with a Pro Beach Volley Ball player (who also was on the 88 Olympic Gold Medal USA team), I've met a lot of those guys over the years - just because they'll drop by the house when I have been there as well -- Karch Kiraly, Mike Whitmarsh, Mike Dodd, Craig Buck, and Bob Ctvrtlyk -- though I don't know if most people would recognize these guys ... Also I've met Mike Smith who played on the Boston Celtics team a few years back.

I know there have been more, it's just not such an unusual occurrence here. j
Old 08-07-2002, 08:33 PM
The Bob Ucker of pixies

Send a message via Yahoo to 2-4-tea
ok does nt know if this counts, when I was about 11 I was at my cousins wedding, and I was using the mens room and looked next to me and peeing next to me was Jim Palmer does that count?
Old 08-07-2002, 08:33 PM
Just me.

Lucky enough to have had a few encounters with famous folk. When I was a kid, my dad was stationed in Japan and one year the Bob Hope USO show was there. Got to (very, very briefly) meet Bob Hope and Jane Mansfield.

Then one year after my wife and I were married, we took a trip to Washington, D.C. with friends and in seeking a pass to go in to watch a session of congress, met Sen. Ted Kennedy.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:42 PM
Addicted Member

Eros.......when ya ran into Lynn did he say, "Whoa, watch were you're going"? Or did he wanna spike ya?....LOL!

jjjjbo........I live in Pa. Dutch Country.......best I could do here now is the old guy from the Peppridge Farm commercials or the chicken guy from the Perdue Chickens commercials!

dicksbro.......Don't get me started on Bob Hope again.....LMAO! scotz will start singing that theme song........omg!

That counts 2-4-tea! now you have to disclose the size of his famous pecker!! LOL!

Mrs Lix
Old 08-07-2002, 08:44 PM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Living in Music City you might think I run in to country music stars every day, but they don't seem to get out much...wouldn't impress me too much if I did...
But my one Brush that stands out had to do with my father, back in the '70s when he was a Customs Inspector, I would drive him out to the airport at night to check in planes coming in from other countries, a small plane lands & out comes Richard Petty & Bobby Allison...after signing the nessesary forms, King Richard gives us that big ol' grin & says, "Now don't y'all tell anybody that we're ridin' together, OK?"...afterward I asked Daddy why he didn't tell me who he was checkin in, he didn't think I would know or care who they were...I mean, c'mon, the then-reigning kings of NASCAR?!?!?!?

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:17 PM
the Lusty Wench

"Oh yea," she says like she should have seen that lightbulb first!

I grew up in a VERY small town near several national parks so there were always people touring during the summer through our area. My father was 1 of 2 doctors in town so one night he got called in on an emergency and had to stitch up the Author- Leon Uris' son after a fall -- I know most people wouldn't think this a big deal, but he was my brother's FAVORITE author and so my dad stopped stitching the kid up long enough to call home and tell my brother to get to the hospital right away so he could meet THE MAN. That was REAL excitement!
Old 08-07-2002, 10:52 PM
The Pimp-Hued Hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Silky Send a message via MSN to Uncle Silky Send a message via Yahoo to Uncle Silky
pfft. gotcha ALL beat. not only did i meet him, i got a picture of me with the original Lone Ranger. yeah, that's right. i can feel yer jealousy from here.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:11 PM
Working Stiff

Holy Shit Scotz..King Richard AND Bobby Allison? Damn, one lucky person. Bobby has always been my hero in stock car racing (NASCAR) for those who know.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:47 AM

I've met a few famous people, they are:
Bo derek(very nice lady)
Steve martin(very nice man)
Kathy ireland( you know, the ditzy super model)
carrot top(phone commercial guy)
Randoll cunningham(went to high school with him)
Eddy van halen(what a prick!!)
there are more, but thats all i can think of right now.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:56 AM
Just me.

How could I have forgotten ...

Can't imagine how I failed to mention two other celebrities I had the pleasure to meet ... First, I met Dolly Parton. Met her on a plane flight I was taking and sat next to one of the people traveling with her. She seemed like a very nice person.

Also met Dick Vermeil at the hotel I was staying at when he was head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles one year when I was attending a business conference there.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:01 PM
Manwhore

Well I bowled with Earl Anthony in my junior bowlers league once, but I remeber very little. (I was probably about 10). But the biggies for me were meeting Kenny Baker! and Jeremy Bulloch!!! Maybe not huge names to some of you, but I'm sure some of you appreciate my excitement over meeting these two...

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 08-08-2002, 01:14 PM
Working Stiff

Mrs Lix~ I was standing in line at the ticket counter and asked the guy working there who won the Monday Night game that was in Dallas that night. From behind me I heard "Cowboys got beat 13-10." I turned around to say thanks and my jaw hit the floor. He was very nice and we talked about the game while in line.

Aqua~ I know Kenny Baker was/is R2D2...but who was Jeremy Bulloch?
Old 08-08-2002, 01:28 PM
Manwhore

Who was Jeremy Bulloch?!?!? Alas... I felt if anyone would know it would be you Eros...

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these